• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Proverbial Blind Hog and the Acorn....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
some challenges gettting a PRC-113 to work inside a stadium all you mgiht get is two clicks. As in "IM pushing if I need to delay key twice"

113 is a POS. Our wing had a nice set of commercial Motorolla units - never had any problems.

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
^^ Some thoughts after having done lots of these things.
Our keys to success on this were the following (which map well to the suggestions already made):

-On the way out on Friday, we overflew both our hold point and our route into the field. This was invaluable in terms of giving us a sense of the terrain and what we would be looking for the next day.

-We pre-briefed the night prior with the TV production folks. Included in this was a Navy O-5 helo bubba who was up at CGSC at Leavenworth; bribed with free pit passes, he was our radio man at the track, and would give us the timing calls. This was key since there would always be some slop in when the anthem started.

-We used a 112B, and it was lima charlie from 10 miles.

-The TV production folks knew that the singer in question typically completed the anthem in 1:35, so we did the time/motion analysis of what speed we had to be at where if we pushed at the start of the anthem.

-Once the anthem started, our radio man gave us the "Oh jeez, she's going faster than normal!", which caused us to gun things a bit. Then she started dragging things out, which caused us to slow down a bit. We were a bit fast as a result, but the NASCAR crowd loves loud things, and two Prowlers at MRT put out the decibels.

-One other:

-Time reference: Everyone should agree on Zulu, and then everything should be referenced to the agreed on ToT. We tried to do some math in public on the fly and it got ugly. Amazing how much basic arithmetic you can forget under pressure.

By the way, did I mention we were rock stars? :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
We were a bit fast as a result, but the NASCAR crowd loves loud things, and two Prowlers at MRT put out the decibels.

Good times Spy! Yep, standard judgment of a Prowler flyover is how many car alarms you set off........ Did the one for Plebe swearing in maybe five years ago at the Academy. Two Prowlers, 500 knots and 500 feet over Annapolis, made a little noise :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'm guessing 2000 or 2001. It was the one at the end of Plebe summer over the small stadium. Two Prowlers from 209. From there we went to the pits at Cherry point then on to Key Weird then to PR for a det.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm guessing 2000 or 2001. It was the one at the end of Plebe summer over the small stadium. Two Prowlers from 209. From there we went to the pits at Cherry point then on to Key Weird then to PR for a det.

Hrm... did the whole Plebe Summer thing in 2001... (why I was asking). I don't remember seeing a couple Prowlers fly over, but then I really don't remember much of the last 2 weeks of the summer, so me not remembering doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Well, ya made me wonder so I went and pulled the old logbooks out. Flyover was 12 Aug 2000 a 2.0 in buno 161118 NSF to NKT second was a 1.8 for a NKT to NQX. Flew to Roosie the next day with a 3.0 NQX to TJNR.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Well, ya made me wonder so I went and pulled the old logbooks out. Flyover was 12 Aug 2000 a 2.0 in buno 161118 NSF to NKT second was a 1.8 for a NKT to NQX. Flew to Roosie the next day with a 3.0 NQX to TJNR.

Ahh.... That would explain why I don't remember it... Was almost a full year before I was at Ye Merry Olde Boat Skool.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of times that is set by higher authority and out of the aviator's hands. No excuse for being late/not having a ground radio guy, especially for the Superbowl. I would have imagined that something that big would have included a practice run or three the day prior.

Brett

If you are the Rooks then you make your own rules and fly whatever altitude you want......;) I was listening to the radio and the announcer was in shock when they fly over, "that was not a fly-over, that was a fly right-by!!!"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best fly-by I saw was at a '99 USC football game. VFA-125 did it with a three ship, two went screaming over right on time flying nice and level.....followed about 2 seconds later by the third who promptly went vertical right over the stadium doing slow aleiron rolls as he climbed to about 5k and leveled off. Pretty good show :D.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Best flyby I've ever seen was when a 4-ship formation of Apaches had to scatter b/c they were late and the 3 ship formation of Rhinos came screaming through... on time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are the Rooks then you make your own rules and fly whatever altitude you want......;) I was listening to the radio and the announcer was in shock when they fly over, "that was not a fly-over, that was a fly right-by!!!"

Yeah, way to fvck it up for everyone else.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best flyby I've ever seen was when a 4-ship formation of Apaches had to scatter b/c they were late and the 3 ship formation of Rhinos came screaming through... on time.

What is up, Bubba? Overhead, four-ship? You've been hanging around the USAF too much. It's break and division (3 is a light division). Consider yourself counseled. ;)

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I consider myself counseled. Now, to shake the AF terminology that has been involuntarily implanted...

Tis what I get for doing forms with an A-10 driver...