• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The PRK process from start to finish

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
I just found this out and thought that anyone who's had PRK for becoming a Naval Aviator would really like to know this! You can use the cost of your PRK surgery as a tax deduction because you're doing it to satisfy job requirements for a job you're trying to get. Keep in mind that if your insurance pays on the surgery that the amount they pay isn't deductible and only the amount you pay is deductible. However, if you took out a loan to pay for the surgery you can count the entire amount as long as you are making the payments and not someone else. I got this information from the IRS yesterday after an hour on the phone with them. They told me this should be filed on section A of the 1040 form but it may be different for you depending on if you use the 1040 EZ or don't itemize your return but it should still go under medical expenses. I thought this information would be helpful but you may still want to call the IRS or talk to your tax filers to have them verify where on the form to file it. Also if you've already filed your taxes you can still fill out an adjustment form apparently. Ask about that. Goodluck for all the prospective pilots out there!
--Topper

gnarbot

Hey does anyone know if I can get PRK from any doctor or does it have to be some sort of sanctioned naval doctor?

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I got "Custom PRK" done for my nearsightedness. I now have 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right eye. It is incredible after a year since the surgery. If any of you are scared about a slow healing process, don't be worried; it took about 6 months for my right eye to heal and have clear vision. Please, message me if anybody here has a question about the PRK surgery procedure, concerns, or anything for that matter.

-Jon

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I remember the 2 days I could not open my eyes at all because it just down right hurt! I also remember not getting much sleep those nights and trying not to touch them, Good luck with everything man!

A quick synopsis of my (ongoing) PRK experience. My vision was 20/70 with astigmatism in my left eye and only 20/25 in my right, so I decided to save the $2K and only get my left done. Anyone else done the same?

Surgery Day: No pain at all, 25 mg of Valium and a few Ativan and I had no trouble getting through the night...
Day 2: Some mild itchiness, no dryness, and vision the best it was in the whole process. 20/25 at my post-op appointment that morning. Felt good enough to go out and stay out way too late that night (Friday)
Day 3: Going out was a bad idea. Felt like I had sand under my eye all day Saturday, and it hurt bad enough I couldn't keep EITHER eyes open. Took more painkillers, slept all day.
Day 4 (today): Feels so much better. Vision is pretty bad and there's a haze over everything, but no pain at all. Feel like I have an eyelash in my eye every once in a while. No dryness.

All in all not a bad experience. I'm kind of wishing I would have pony'd up the money and gotten both done even though I didn't have to have it in my right.

alaurin

All day, every day!
I had custom PRK also and rated at 20/15 in both eyes after surgery. I was also able to read about half of the 20/10 line accurately 6 months after. Unlike JonSmith89, I was able to open my eyes the day after the surgery. I had a contact lens bandage on both eyes for about a week and took many different eye medications. I experienced sensitivity to light for about two weeks, but I was also able to drive at night as soon as a 2 weeks after w/o any correction. Be sure to stay far away from chlorine and chemicals, when the nerve endings in my eyes were growing back (about 2 wks in) I went to a July 4th party by a pool (didn't go in the pool deeper than my chin) and ended up with awful, painful red eye caused by the chemical vapors for two days. Luckily I didn't have any side effects or unbearable pain, I remember being very tired for 2 and a half months while I was healing but that's about it.

My surgery was done by NVision. They cut me a nice deal and the entire thing cost me $5000 for the surgery and about another $500 for the medications. Some of the meds weren't covered by my prescription plan, so I bought the most expensive through a Canadian Pharmacy that my sister had bought her allergy meds before. They occasionally send me refer-a-friend flyers for things like giftcards or $100 off your surgery. If you're interested in getting one of those, send me a PM and I'll forward via email.

j.fLo

For anyone in the Philadelphia area, I had a PRK done at Siepser Vision in Wayne, PA. Prior to surgery, my eyesight wasn't terrible, but wasn't good enough for SNA. 6 months post surgery my vision is 20/15 in each eye, 20/15 overall and I can read about half of the 20/10 line. Recovery was a bit of a pain, eyes felt itchy/sandy/generally achy for a week or two, but as long as you have an average pain tolerance it isn't a big deal. I went back to driving before my vision was back to normal, and after a few days to a week you'll be fine to drive. In my case my eyes got better, then worse, then better again, so do not be discouraged if you get the operation and your eyes worsen after having been better (the surgeon told me this is normal and happens to most people). My only gripe here is that he told me the brand name steroid drop was medically necessary, but Dr. Siepser (in my opinion) is a Grade-A surgeon, knows his stuff, informs you of the risks prior to surgery, and is vested in his patients (he gave me his personal cell phone number and told me to call at any time of day, and knowing that I want to be in the Navy, he's taken extra measures to ensure there is no cloudiness or hazing in my vision). The surgery cost roughly $5000.

mike23!

I got "Custom PRK" done for my nearsightedness. I now have 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right eye. It is incredible after a year since the surgery. If any of you are scared about a slow healing process, don't be worried; it took about 6 months for my right eye to heal and have clear vision. Please, message me if anybody here has a question about the PRK surgery procedure, concerns, or anything for that matter.

-Jon

Is there a form that needs to be brought to the eye doctor and filled out by them to submit the waiver?

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
Is there a form that needs to be brought to the eye doctor and filled out by them to submit the waiver?

I brought everything to my pre-OCS physical, did a simple eye test with no problems. I believe they do a more in depth examination later on after OCS and before API.

mike23!

I brought everything to my pre-OCS physical, did a simple eye test with no problems. I believe they do a more in depth examination later on after OCS and before API.
Cool, I wasnt sure if there was anythign special i needed to bring to the eye doctor.