• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The NAMI Whammy

Seniuram

After graduating OCS and spending 3 months in StuPool, last night, unfortunately I received the NAMI whammy disqualifying me from all flight due to adhd medication I took in 2014/15 for about 6 months. I have been given the option to retest on the infamous ADHD exam which I said “sign me up” too. The first time I took the exam it came back negative for ADHD and was recommended I be cleared however NAMI thought otherwise. This is quite a unique case so I couldn’t really find any insight on this. If any flight surgeons or prior/current aviators could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.
Is the NAMI board that meets every Thursday to review packets the same people every week?
I get to retake the exam around April 23 due to the mandatory 6 months required after initial test. I have fought pretty hard to get where I am and willing to fight more.

Meyerkord

pilot
Sorry to hear that, man. I thought that would be something they could tell you before you started going through OCS, but I guess not. I hope everything works out.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Someone smarter than me can comment on this hopefully, and I am NOT sure if it applies for pre-winged folks, but I do know that there is a process you can go through requesting a special board to convene for your case. Had a friend that did this when NAMI would not recommend him for a SG-1 waiver (meaning would not be able to teach as a flight instructor) even though he had cleared everything in the waiver guide and had waited the required six months. They wanted to wait another six months because "that's what we did in a previous case". He ended up getting approved.

Again, unsure if that policy is only for winged aviators or if students can request one. I'd talk to a flight suit in stucon, or a flight doc, or even NAMI themselves about whether that is a possibility for you or not. But fight as hard as you can...

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
What does your disqualification letter say? Is there another diagnosis in your medical records that could be non-waiverable?

Special Boards of Flight Surgeons were typically reserved for designated aviators, but I saw one in my time there for a student who was a few flights from winging.

V/R

Seniuram

What does your disqualification letter say? Is there another diagnosis in your medical records that could be non-waiverable?

Special Boards of Flight Surgeons were typically reserved for designated aviators, but I saw one in my time there for a student who was a few flights from winging.

V/R
All it had was “at this moment waiver not granted. Resubmit as directed. They want to see improvements in the attention and executive thinking with a follow up neuropsych examination” I was also curious about the wording of the disqual, it says “Not physically qualified but aeronautically adapted for all duty involving flying” can you explain this?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
This is good news. NAMI is asking you to retake the neuropsychiatric tests and resubmit the results for a waiver consideration. If you do better on the next set of tests, it sounds like a waiver is a good possibility. Neuropsychiatric test performance is very dependent on the test environment and a ton of other factors. I would imagine you might score better now that you are familiar with the type of tests being administered, and there won't be as much of a learning effect in your score. It would be great if you could do the repeat testing at NAMI, since they're very cognizant of the factors that adversely affect the test results, and go to great lengths to eliminate them.

"Physically qualified/Not Physically Qualified" refers to medical conditions, and "(Not) Aeronautically Adapted/Adaptable" refers to behaviors needed to successfully function in Naval aviation. PQ/AA means someone has no disqualifying physical conditions, and is able to function (or in the case of students, is expected to be able to function) as an aviator. You are not physically qualified (NPQ) due to the ADHD diagnosis, but you're expected to have the behavioral traits to be able to function in that environment (AA).

V/R

Seniuram

This is good news. NAMI is asking you to retake the neuropsychiatric tests and resubmit the results for a waiver consideration. If you do better on the next set of tests, it sounds like a waiver is a good possibility. Neuropsychiatric test performance is very dependent on the test environment and a ton of other factors. I would imagine you might score better now that you are familiar with the type of tests being administered, and there won't be as much of a learning effect in your score. It would be great if you could do the repeat testing at NAMI, since they're very cognizant of the factors that adversely affect the test results, and go to great lengths to eliminate them.

"Physically qualified/Not Physically Qualified" refers to medical conditions, and "(Not) Aeronautically Adapted/Adaptable" refers to behaviors needed to successfully function in Naval aviation. PQ/AA means someone has no disqualifying physical conditions, and is able to function (or in the case of students, is expected to be able to function) as an aviator. You are not physically qualified (NPQ) due to the ADHD diagnosis, but you're expected to have the behavioral traits to be able to function in that environment (AA).

V/R
Thank you for the feedback, it has been very helpful.