• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The looney toons continue......

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
.....or supply and demand can be a wonderful thing, depending on your perspective of course. Thanks to my new best friend Sen. Feinstein, I sold a junk gun that cost me slightly over $300.00 dollars for $1,200.00.

Earlier today just for shits and grins I listed a lightly used Kel-Tec Sub 2000 on gunbroker.com. To me it's was just a neat little folding 9mm plinker that I never shot. With a Ruger 10/22 Take Down rifle in the safe and a new 11.5 in barreled AR on the way I don't need it.

I set the auction to start at $700.00, listed the reserve for $900.00 and the buy it now price for $1,200.00. I left money on the table too because in less that 5 hours a gun dealer in AK bought it for $1,200.00. That's going to fund a suppressor for my .22's and another for my SBR.

Amazing times........

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I see you finally broke down and jumped on the NFA train. All aboard...

Yup. I hadn't done any class III stuff before because I really didn't want to go the trust route which is the only realistic option in NC. Now that I've moved to a free state (TN) and the funding unexpectedly appeared I'm jumping in with both feet. I need to pick out a .22 host pistol soon. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of a threaded Ruger 10/45 or similar.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm curious why you were against the trust. It's a much easier route (after paying for the trust) and allows you to pass along the items down the road without paying more taxes. Supposedly the trusts go through quicker, as well, although nowadays that may not matter with everything backing up again.

phrogpilot73

For what it's worth, a buddy of mine has a hobby of building AK's. Has a ton of kits/receivers on hand. Has already sold several at close to 300% profit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting excited about AKs. I'm not sure, especially as someone who enjoys learning to shoot a new system (and I have plenty of 5.45 to feed it).

phrogpilot73

I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting excited about AKs. I'm not sure, especially as someone who enjoys learning to shoot a new system (and I have plenty of 5.45 to feed it).
If you saw one of his builds, you'd get excited... He takes what he gets from the parts kits, and builds to that. If the furniture is beat up, and there's a ton of patina on the metal parts, he makes a "battlefield pickup". If it's near mint - he bead blasts and re-parkerizes it, and makes it look new from the factory. He built me a 1973 Romanian, and it seriously looks like I picked it up off the ground after a heated battle in Fallujah. He just showed me an Egyptian Maadi he was building, and it was gorgeous.

Until you've fired a rifle with a slant brake (and see the giant fireball), I don't think you'd understand... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you saw one of his builds, you'd get excited... He takes what he gets from the parts kits, and builds to that. If the furniture is beat up, and there's a ton of patina on the metal parts, he makes a "battlefield pickup". If it's near mint - he bead blasts and re-parkerizes it, and makes it look new from the factory. He built me a 1973 Romanian, and it seriously looks like I picked it up off the ground after a heated battle in Fallujah. He just showed me an Egyptian Maadi he was building, and it was gorgeous.

I can understand this part if the point is to admire both the weapon system as well as the craftsmanship it sits in your man cave (and there's nothing wrong with either). But if this is the main reason, I'm not completely sure it's for me.

Until you've fired a rifle with a slant brake (and see the giant fireball), I don't think you'd understand... :)

...and tried to manipulate the weapon with it's odd ergonomics, less than ideal sight, and not completely comfortable grip/shoulder setup. I think it would be fun to learn the rifle, I'm just not sure the above reasons are enough of a reason for me to lay out the cash for the rifle and mags, especially now that the prices have gone way up. That said, I was looking at a Sporter Izhmash -74 from Atlantic Firearms before the whole panic started, but nothing came from my window shopping. Not necessarily a bad thing when you see what I did spend my money on and is almost complete (well, complete to CA's laws) and is sitting in my safe. But that's for another time.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I had a couple of AK's built off of Romanian kits to give to my boys. They both turned out really nice. The only AK's I have now are a couple of SAR-1's but they are pretty good shooters and perfect for truck guns.

I never felt real good about using a gun trust mostly because I never trusted the NC AG not to make an example out of a few people if Trust ownership of Class III weapons was ever challenged in court. Probably a non issue but that was my fear. I actually ended up biting the bullet and had a gun trust set up to purchase my SBR just before I found out I was moving to TN. Once I got here in TN I decided just to go the private ownership route. TN law requires the chief LEO in every county to sign your ATF paperwork with in 15 days so that makes it a no brainer to me.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, serious question for those interested. What, realistically, do you see as the future here? What do I mean? Well, what's the average .223 shooter to think? Let's say you are a 'chuck or prairie dog shooter...with the now ridiculous cost of factory ammo and skosh availability and components on the rise are you regretting not getting that .22-250 or .204? I don't think anyone with a good sense of how this government (dis)functions that the AWB will pass so do you wait to buy that upper you've been thinking about or join the hysteria. Will we ever get ammo back in stock...for anything? Magazines? (Try buying a Glock mag at anything near factory price these days...) This too shall pass or "new normal"?

I have to say, I'm a bit disheartened by my fellow gun enthusiast...Fear spreads that you aren't going to be able to buy ammo or AR's anymore so what happens? We create a situation where you can't buy ammo or AR's anymore...and then gouge each other for the ones that are available. Nice work asshats.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Reload. That, coupled with my brand new homebrew kit, should see me through the end of days quite nicely.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, serious question for those interested. What, realistically, do you see as the future here? What do I mean? Well, what's the average .223 shooter to think? Let's say you are a 'chuck or prairie dog shooter...with the now ridiculous cost of factory ammo and skosh availability and components on the rise are you regretting not getting that .22-250 or .204? I don't think anyone with a good sense of how this government (dis)functions that the AWB will pass so do you wait to buy that upper you've been thinking about or join the hysteria. Will we ever get ammo back in stock...for anything? Magazines? (Try buying a Glock mag at anything near factory price these days...) This too shall pass or "new normal"?

I have to say, I'm a bit disheartened by my fellow gun enthusiast...Fear spreads that you aren't going to be able to buy ammo or AR's anymore so what happens? We create a situation where you can't buy ammo or AR's anymore...and then gouge each other for the ones that are available. Nice work asshats.

This situation was similar when President Obama was elected the first time. It took awhile to settle out but it did. If the AWB does pass then there is no telling what the outcome will look like. If it doesn't pass the wave will ebb eventually.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Reload. That, coupled with my brand new homebrew kit, should see me through the end of days quite nicely.

We have similar hobbies my friend. Been rolling my own for years and brewing for several.

None of these help me at all buying uppers or spare mags. ;)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This situation was similar when President Obama was elected the first time. It took awhile to settle out but it did. If the AWB does pass then there is no telling what the outcome will look like. If it doesn't pass the wave will ebb eventually.

And that was similar to what happened when Clinton was elected. He sold me my first AR's in 1994. I paid inflated prices for those 3 Colts but I learned my lesson. I pretty much haven't been caught without sufficient supplies of ammo and weapons since. (.22 long rifle being the exception.......boy I sure didn't see that one coming) I sold that junk weapon in the OP to a dealer who already had it sold to one of his customers. I used that money to fill a Class 3 hole in my collection before some idiot tells me I can't.

For the record I don't think there will be a new AWB. Even if there is it won't change much. I bought plenty of "banned" assault rifles during the last "ban". "pre-ban" weapons and mags did cost a bit more but the ones I owned were worth more too. You really want a banned weapon then go buy it along with a 10-12 good mags and put it all in the safe. Then go shoot the hell out of what ever is easy to get. If you look around the web as much as I do you'll see that prices are begining to creep downward again and supply is slowing coming back. You can still buy AR's at ok prices if you back order or if you have cash in hand when a deal comes along.

What's the future? Who knows but:

I think we ARE going to see insta-check for all sales including personal sales of long guns. The system is already in place and it works pretty well. The only real problem I have with this is that now you have to pay a dealer to do the check....more cost. (by the way you are already supposed to do this if you do a face to face handgun sale in NC)

They may not "ban" assault weapons but it seems to me that they could very easily require the sale of an "assault weapon" to go thru the NFA system just like a can or SBR does now. The system works pretty well except it's slow. (especially right now). They could easily throw money and people at the current system and make it "work". More cost, huge wait times and lot's of hassle here but it's done everyday.

Not sure what they can do about high cap mags except call'em clips and hope they will go away.

What really concerns me are things like the proposals floating around that might require gun owners to carry liability insurance for guns and ammo in the house. They may not shut down internet ammo sales but they could make shipping to expensive to bother with etc.

The anti's are smarter this time around. They aren't going to come charging up the middle.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What's the future? Who knows but:.

Good stuff and likely the target.

That being said, I see tactics like mandatory registration, background checks and such and and associated cost with them being challangable as an unreasonable infringment on a right akin to a poll tax. If you make it too expensive for the average person to exercise the right then you are truncating that right unreasonably.

The feds are going to lie low on this and have the liberals in the states do their evil for them. Look at NY, CO and Md for leads on complete lunacy.