• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

Beefalo

Are there any more pirates for the Navy to fight? If so what do these modern pirates look like and what kind of ships do they have? Id like to go pirate hunting sometime.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
Are there any more pirates for the Navy to fight? If so what do these modern pirates look like and what kind of ships do they have? Id like to go pirate hunting sometime.

Piracy is a big problem in Southeast Asia and in the Caribbean. They're well armed, sometimes with some heavy weapons, and can be particularly vicious too. I'm not kidding, there ARE pirates of the Caribbean still.

Sandwichwarrior

Hauling ass so others don't have to.
Its still a problem down in the south pacific, lots of tiny island nations full of shady characters who won't ask embarassing questions.

I haven't gone on a westpac yet, but from what i hear they usually drive small speed boats or converted runabouts.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Straits of Mallaca (sp?), other areas of southeast Asia namely Indonesia, coastal waters of Africa, Persian Gulf, and so on.

Al Qaeda has been linked to various pirate groups in SE Asia. There was a great article on this in Foreign Affairs an issue or two ago...*

*edit- November/December 2004 issue pg 66

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a ton of international rules defining/regarding piracy in and out of international waters. Depending on your airframe, you may or may not have to know all of these by heart so you know the guidelines on enforcing these policies and/or rendering assistance to people being attacked.

yep, the memorizing never ends...

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I be the only pirate ye have to worry about! Arrrrrrr....

Seriously, when the Boat People fled Cambodia and Vietnam pirates would descend on them and relieve them of their worldly possessions, food, and water. Come on how twisted do you have to be to steal food and water from refugees? That's fvcked.

What's a pirate's favorite restruant?

Arrrrrby's!!!!

That was sad I know, but I heard it on the Bob and Tom Show and thought I would inject a little levity to this thread.

Physicx

Banned
I talked to a guy who was sailing around the word.His captian had to hire security with with a variety of weapons so they would be safe.Lots of people get killed because of this.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
thats one thing the Merchant Marine still has to deal with. my dad was telling me taht some of the MSC ships he was in charge of had cages built around them to keep the pirates out.

for my first sea year i want to do the Asia run, hopefully get to see hong kong, singapore.

my friends brother had an interesting experience. While ported in africa delievering grain they had people climbing up and into the ship trying to steal the grain so they could sell it instead of going to the humanitarian efforts.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
My dad wanted to take his boat up to Alaska from Puget Sound...heard there were unsavory types in the coastal waters among the islands along the way...

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Dunedan said:
My dad wanted to take his boat up to Alaska from Puget Sound...heard there were unsavory types in the coastal waters among the islands along the way...

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHHAH. The Puget Sound is my waters matee. The only pirates (and islands) that be between here and Alaska are of the Canadian nature.

I remember about 5-10 years ago there were big disputes between Candian and US fishermen between the Sound and Alaska. Candian fishermen were burning american flags and being violent towards our fishermen (for taking all their fish). Something about bringing a home made .50 rifle on a few runs between here and Alaska, hunting for canadian pirates just sounds like a whole lot of fun. Then again, im not known for my diplomatic ways of solving problems. :D

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Godspeed said:
Something about bringing a home made .50 rifle on a few runs between here and Alaska, hunting for canadian pirates just sounds like a whole lot of fun. Then again, im not known for my diplomatic ways of solving problems. :D

Sounds like a good time to me!