• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

woodman

I know the Marines have no interest in purchasing the F/A-18E/F model but what are they going to replace the EA-6B with? Are they thinking of the F/A-18G? When is the EA-6B supposed to be phased out of the Marine Corp inventory?

ProwlerPilot

pilot
The most recent plan is for the Navy to get the Growler, and the Marines to get the scraps! This means the Marines will take the Prowlers that the Navy will no longer be flying and use them for themselves. The Growler for the Navy is supposed to come online sometime in 2010. That means it will be much longer, if at all when the Marines get the Growler. More than likely they will be waiting for the JSF EA version. Which I believe is the ultimate goal for both services.

Glenn
Prowler Pilot

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
EA-18 Growler

Something new that I just came to know about. I did a quick sweep of an article in "Combat Aircraft", and the Growler, actually the EA-18G (a ECM version of the super hornet) will eventually come to replace the Prowler for the Navy, Marines, and Joint AF/Navy "Purple Squadrons". It will not have the 20 mm, but will be able to be eqipeed with [missiles like] the HARM and AIM-120. It will be a two seater, not a four, obviously. So basically it will have most of the capabilities of an -F Hornet but with all the latest jamming/ECM equipment. It will have a good cockpit, based on the suggestions of prowler teams. I'm not sure when rollout will begin, but not for a few more years. All in all, looks like a good type, both from the crew's standpoint and the budget's.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Growler...terrible name...speaking of which...time to go to the 'office'...

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
zab1001 said:
Growler...terrible name...speaking of which...time to go to the 'office'...

we'll stick it with something else

and yes, very old news

timeline.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, the Growler is coming, the growler is coming. BTW, Growler is not the official sanctioned name of the EA-18G. Still to be named. Anywho, the EA-6B will start to be replaced in 2008 with completion set for 2012 or so. And it MIGHT be able to carry the AIM-120, but with all the Jamming Pods, Fuel tanks and HARM, it might not carry any at all. (Wing stations that normally carry AIM-9's will be replaced with ESM receivers.
ea6bflyr

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we use those AIM-120s to shoot ground targets like the Hornets did in Tears of the Sun? ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk...awesome timeline. That might be useful in Advanced...at least for your first few flights. I remember my first CV front seat hop. I was still in the take-off mode when we trapped. Talk about hanging from the vertical stabilizer. I was behind the jet the whole flight.
ea6bflyr

R

RickyDT34

I have seen super hornets in growler dress and I think they have they same exact ALQ pods as the EA6B. Have you seen it ea6bflyr?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, they had a fly in at Whidbey and Andrews. Just an -F model with pods...It was like putting a dress on your sister and taking her to the HS dance. Not sexy at ALL! :) Same ALQ-99 pods, but the rest is all different....much more automation.
ea6bflyr

RickyDT34 said:
I have seen super hornets in growler dress and I think they have they same exact ALQ pods as the EA6B. Have you seen it ea6bflyr?