• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
It's a great idea, but untill the name "Shocker" is put into widespread use...it's just an idea.

(I was not trying to take credit for coming up with the name @ss!) :D

fudog50

Growler traps

F-18 E/F airframe with a larger load...will this jet come in hot and heavy? Does anybody know if the A/G can handle it on Nimitz class? If not, will Advance Recovery Control be a sufficient workaround?

STLEngineer

pilot
I can't give specifics, but the airframe is currently being tested to higher gross weights to accomidate the "G". CVS testing is ongoing at PAX River, MD on their catapult and arrestment gear (that's where I am as I type this).

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
I would like to point out that the name "Growler" is gay and I would appreciate it if all future references to the EA-18G were "Shocker" as this is a much more fitting name (although slightly innapropriate/crude). :D

Now, to alot of people, the word Shocker doesn't necessarily have to be the one we all think of....

So, I suppose that community could probably start working on an unofficial name change, assuming they said it wasn't aforementioned bad Shocker.

i.e. Fighting Falcon/Viper

Edit: Hell, in that picture it even has a lightning bolt on the tail....

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
My point is why "roll out" something that's been "rolled out" before.

It's not technically ready for service either, as it's the first of the "full-up G" test aircraft. Was the F/A-18E/F ready to go when E-1 or F-1 rolled off? It was the first of many test aircraft, too.

Whever the 5 wet program is finished, are they going to roll out a "KF-18"?

False analogy, false analogy, false analogy. The EA-18G community will form different squadrons. They'll have a different FRS. They'll have a different NATOPS qual. They'll have different tactics. In the fleet, a Shocker will be a Shocker, it won't be reconfigured one day with a DCA loadout and the next day with a Shocker loadout. And the way it's looking right now, there won't even be any cross-pollinating between the -18G and -18F communities the way there is between the -18E/F/C communities. I will likely never fly the Shocker. I'll probably fly the Rhino with any number of configurations which just haven't been tested yet.

Bottom line is that yes, most people on this board know that the Shocker is based on the Rhino airframe. You don't have to talk like it's a huge revelation.

BigRed389

None
False analogy, false analogy, false analogy. The EA-18G community will form different squadrons. They'll have a different FRS. They'll have a different NATOPS qual. They'll have different tactics. In the fleet, a Shocker will be a Shocker, it won't be reconfigured one day with a DCA loadout and the next day with a Shocker loadout. And the way it's looking right now, there won't even be any cross-pollinating between the -18G and -18F communities the way there is between the -18E/F/C communities. I will likely never fly the Shocker. I'll probably fly the Rhino with any number of configurations which just haven't been tested yet.

Bottom line is that yes, most people on this board know that the Shocker is based on the Rhino airframe. You don't have to talk like it's a huge revelation.

EP-3, P-3, or ES-3A, S-3B what's the difference right? :confused:

And yes...I am being sarcastic.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Now, to alot of people, the word Shocker doesn't necessarily have to be the one we all think of....

So, I suppose that community could probably start working on an unofficial name change, assuming they said it wasn't aforementioned bad Shocker.

i.e. Fighting Falcon/Viper

Edit: Hell, in that picture it even has a lightning bolt on the tail....

Exactly...
Another two famous examples of unofficial renaming.

UH1 Iroquois---->Huey
A-10 Thunderbolt II------->Warthog

I hope this is the case with the EA-18G...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
F/A-18F Thuper Hornet---> Rhino
S-3 Viking---> Hoover
E-2 Hawkeye---> Hummer
C-2 Greyhoud---> COD
B-1 Lancer---> BONE

Names don't stick unless you're the Tomcat.

Lawman

None
That's a stupid nickname and although it's mentioned from time to time I don't think it really stuck. The Tomcat is too bad @$$ for such a stupid name. :icon_rage

Right... Sure.... just like theres never been a plane where the name "Lawn Dart" stuck around much to the dismay of Crews.