• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If any of you Whidbeyites can spare a trip to Kirkland, Leather Maids Tailoring does good patch work under the lining. Also trimmed the 1970s-John-Travolta-Saturday-Night-Fever-esque collar I got from Pop's Leather nicely down to size.
Did they do any work on your flight jacket though?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
A sad day it is. Tipsy Gipsy is canning the embossed patches that made them famous. I personally don't think the new line they are making looks as good, but necessity drives change for their small team I guess.

TGpatch.com

Gypsy here: the last couple years Ive made several changes to how we do business . Partly this was to clear up our backlogs The core was really about changing our production model to something with longterm sustainability .

I'm very happy with the patches weve shipped over the years.
The things that bother me are the rising cost to make them and not being able to make enough to keep up with demand. The problem is in adapting our production method to a modern system that can be scaled up . Doing this required a major redesign of our patches . Needless to say, Ive been hesitant to do it.

Necessity drives change ..... and we started R&D on a new production system in 2017, The tech is fresh and The patches and tags we can do with it are unbelievable.

I am retiring the Embossed version Gypsy patch . We will continue to produce classic name tags until the end of 2019 . Our focus for the future will be the new format .

• Active Orders and quotes for embossed format patches will be completed as quoted .
  • Any remaining patches in the old format will be listed on Gypsypatch.com
We converted a small portion of our catalog to the new patch style .

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
The full color ones look nice. I think the brown tone ones look dull. Maybe it’s the lighting but we will see. Glad they’re sticking around in any fashion. That being said if you have a hard on for the old style embossed patches, there’s always “flightjacket.com”.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
They took six months longer than advertised for my fleet squadron buy, after accepting the payment of course. I'd go with someone else anyways as a result (Wings and things outside the Pcola base did my embossed nametag and the stitching, and it all came out great. They do squadron buy patches now as well)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
They took six months longer than advertised for my fleet squadron buy, after accepting the payment of course. I'd go with someone else anyways as a result (Wings and things outside the Pcola base did my embossed nametag and the stitching, and it all came out great. They do squadron buy patches now as well)

I've seen both and unless Wings and Things got remarkably better in the last 3 years, TG was miles ahead. Worth it for a once in a lifetime purchase for most people.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
For anybody still looking for Tipsy Gypsy embossed patches, he’s still accepting orders for name tags, and will be making more flags in the near future. Maybe only for a little while longer, but I know many friends who ordered theirs recently as a result of all this. He’s also got stock of quite a few various squadron patches if anybody needs individual ones.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
For anybody still looking for Tipsy Gypsy embossed patches, he’s still accepting orders for name tags, and will be making more flags in the near future. Maybe only for a little while longer, but I know many friends who ordered theirs recently as a result of all this. He’s also got stock of quite a few various squadron patches if anybody needs individual ones.
Nice. Definitely want a flag before he switches over.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had their leather name tag sewn on at Wings and Things? Going to be down there in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering how their quality is with sewing leather jackets.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Has anyone had their leather name tag sewn on at Wings and Things? Going to be down there in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering how their quality is with sewing leather jackets.
I’m sure they would do a good job. You can always what tooling they use. I had mine done at a luggage repair store. Figured since those guys deal almost exclusively in leather it would be a good ask. They even avoided stitching through the liner but opening it up and sewing it back.