• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Lt_SNA_USMC

Is there anyone out there who could tell me what flight jacket (green nylon?) is current issue in the Marine Corps. I want to get one, but there are like a million to choose from.

First off, they all say current issue, but they are all a little different. Secondly, I do not wear aviator glasses. They look dumb on me. Third- I would not have joined the Marine Corps if I did not want to "play grunt" (as you put it) for a while. If all I wanted to be was a "flyboy" I would have joined the Air Force (no disrespect to the Air Force, but that is what they do: fly). And lastly, I wanted the flight jacket for my little brother for a Christmas gift. I could not wear it now -- I'm not active duty, not with any unit, etc, etc. I'd look like a fool. Assumptions, asssumptions.
Respectfully, Lt. Williamson

Rainman

pilot
People learn right away to ignore Paul.

Okay. . .the Marines use the standard Navy Flyer's jacket brown leather with fur on top as seen on Top Gun.
It is made by Schott Brothers and it is known as "Jacket, Flyer's, Intermediate, Type G-1" -- MIL-J-7823(AS)

Hope that helps. There is also the green nylon working jacket, but it looks pretty ridiculous without a flight suit.

Semper Fi

Goliath112

quote"what do you plan on doing? wearing a flight jacket around tbs. don't be that guy. that guy is an idiot"

funny funny

man the wait is killing me

FlyFast

Hey Lt. SNA Williamson,how are things going>>> sending my packet real soon, like the reply to your question........your favorite instructor.....so thus far

Rainman

pilot
quote:
The green jacket is not made out of nylon. Since it is meant to be worn while flying it is made out of fire resistant aramid.

ah yes. . .aramid. yeah. . not nylon (like a gym bag). . good catch.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Look at www.sgtgrit.com. I think Sportys online pilot shop also sells them. Unfortunately, you will pay a premium. When I went to Korea, I bought my little brother a "Nylon" jacket. Heck of a lot cheaper and he did not know the difference. If you want the real thing try the last two websites or if your still in the reserves and listed under DEERs, you can order one from MCEX, NEX or AFFES. The Marine Shop in Quantico also has a website that you can order a jacket. If you live in the cold country, buy the winter weight jacket. It is definitly the right choice. I rarely wore the light weight "spring" jacket. Hope that helps. Frumby

By the way, the brown, pig leather jacket with the fake fur collar make look great in "CHARLIES" but you will certainly freeze your ass off if you really need warmth vice style. The good thing about both jackets is that it really pisses the grunts off especially if you attend AWS or Command and Staff. The CO of Marine Education Command forbid all aviators from wearing aviation jackets. The next day, all aviators wore their jackets regardless of temp. The CO rescinded the order the following day. It was unlawful and we made our point. There is democracy in the ranks sometimes. Frumby
Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Edited by - Frumby on 09/13/2002 10:38:05

ghost_ttu

I would like that show of pride in who you are. Have to be a group movement though, I could imagine one guy does that and his ass would have been kicked through his teeth!

Mike26

Lt, Like Korea Turkey also makes nice, inexpensive jackets in Turkey. You can order them at this web site popsleather.com They also give a 20% military discount.

Also, the current issue green flight jacket for the USAF, which I am sure is the same for the Marine Corps is as follows: JACKET,FLYERS, MENS'S SUMMER TYPE CWU- 36P MIL-J-83382C, made from 100% Aramid, manufactued by Creative Apparel Ass. I am sure you will be able to find this in most surplus stores

Lt_SNA_USMC

Thank-you all for your replies to my question about the jacket. And joshmountain; I will learn to ignore Paul. Thanks for the insight. Ooh rah! and Semper Fi.
Lt. Williamson

Bushmaster

Naval Aviator's Patches, Flight Suit, Uniform

I know that Naval Aviators place their patches different than the AF guys on their flight suits...

But which patch goes where?

And what is the code for the leather jackets for the Naval Aviation? I have an AF A-2 jacket but I am going to sell it and get a Navy jacket.

I found this information on the net regarding F/A-18 pilot outfit;

USN F/A 18 Jet pilot outfit consists of these items:

CWU-27/P Nomex Flying suit. Current issue to USAF, ARMY, USMC and USN aircrews.
GS/FRP-2 Nomex Flying gloves.
CSU-13/B/P Anti G-Suit (aka Speed Jeans).
HGU-68/P Flight helmet with MBU-14/P oxygen mask, complete with CRU-79/P REDAR assembly.
PCU-33/P Torso harness (aka modified MA-2). This harness is complete with LPA-2/P Live-preserver (complete with CO2 bottles). This setup has been worn by a USN F/A-18 Pilot during Desert Storm. Contents of this vest:

* SDU-5/E Distress marker light.
* Shroud Cutter knife.
* Cyalume Light sticks.
* PRC-90-1 radio. Has battery but no earphone. Inop.
* Shark repellent.
* Signaling mirror.
* MK-13 Mod O Smoke/Flare Day/Night Signal flare.
* Whistle.
* Pen Flarelauncher with Flares.

Complete.jpg

No this isn't me... :)

Also where can I find VFA patches for sale? Do you know any good online stores?

Thanks...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Standard Navy Flight suit is:

Name Tag {cloth/leather}: Left Chest(over Heart)
Squadron Patch: Right Chest
American Flag: Left Arm (Optional)
Right Arm: Various Patches (Top Gun/Aircraft
Patch/Weapons School Patch/USN/USMC Patch)

As far as the Leather Jacket goes, the Navy's requlations are Name Patch & Squadron Patch (Same locations as above)

If you are interested in getting a VFA Patch, direct your browser to: http://www.lemoore.navy.mil/hornet.html and contact the squadron that you want the patch from or you can even look on ebay or use your favorite search engine. Squadron Patches usually run about 5 US Dollars. Hope this helps.

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bushmaster
I know that Naval Aviators place their patches different than the AF guys on their flight suits...

But which patch goes where?

And what is the code for the leather jackets for the Naval Aviation? I have an AF A-2 jacket but I am going to sell it and get a Navy jacket.

I found this information on the net regarding F/A-18 pilot outfit;

USN F/A 18 Jet pilot outfit consists of these items:

CWU-27/P Nomex Flying suit. Current issue to USAF, ARMY, USMC and USN aircrews.
GS/FRP-2 Nomex Flying gloves.
CSU-13/B/P Anti G-Suit (aka Speed Jeans).
HGU-68/P Flight helmet with MBU-14/P oxygen mask, complete with CRU-79/P REDAR assembly.
PCU-33/P Torso harness (aka modified MA-2). This harness is complete with LPA-2/P Live-preserver (complete with CO2 bottles). This setup has been worn by a USN F/A-18 Pilot during Desert Storm. Contents of this vest:

* SDU-5/E Distress marker light.
* Shroud Cutter knife.
* Cyalume Light sticks.
* PRC-90-1 radio. Has battery but no earphone. Inop.
* Shark repellent.
* Signaling mirror.
* MK-13 Mod O Smoke/Flare Day/Night Signal flare.
* Whistle.
* Pen Flarelauncher with Flares.

Also where can I find VFA patches for sale? Do you know any good online stores?

Thanks...
[

Bushmaster

Thanks man, you rock... Navy ROCKS...

Actually I am interested in this one...

vfa136.jpg

And i think the jacket is called G-1...

SSGoatG1_catalog.jpg

g1.jpg

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
That looks like my dad's flight jacket from WWII (that's right, my dad fought in WWII, and I'm only 23 years old, my dad's been around for a while :)). He's got some pretty cool patches on there. Of course he was in the Army Air Corps, the predecessors to the Air Force.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have a look at this web site:
http://www.av8rstuff.com/airwing7c.html They have the patch you want for 7.00.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif