• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cats and Dogs on Aircraft Carriers Thread . . . with F-16 insanity!

Did it happen? An F-16 trapped??\

• Yep, real deal.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Nope, you are high.

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • I think it was on JAG....

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The story is that an F-16 with an emergency fuel state landed on a carrier during the first gulf war and had to trap "in the net".

I have, in 7 yrs in naval aviation, never heard of this, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am highly suspect of this happening. What carrier CO would think this was a good idea waht F-16 pilot would try this aprticularly as close as everything was in the Gulf. Shorter trip to some of the fields in Saudi than the Gulf where the carriers were. I could eb wrong but my B#ll**** detector is screaming

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Just did multiple searches, using multiple serach engines. there isno information, mishap reports or pictures ANYWHERE on the internet that I can find. I think the ANG pilot was yanking your crank there tango. Might want to invest in a better BS detector, infact if you believe this story, I have one I can sell to you reallllll cheapppp!!!!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i saw the jag episode where the C-130 landed on the carrier and they showed that it really happened back in the day, but this reminds me of that little story about the T-34 that shot down a British jet....too good to be true, but anything's possible.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A C-130 did infact do touch and goes on a carrier. He ws the CO of the Sumos out in Okinawa and I met him. I also saw pics on the discovery channel. They did not trap though

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Yeah had a TAR in my Primary Ground School class who had pics of it. Was pretty cool.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
i saw the jag episode where the C-130 landed on the carrier and they showed that it really happened back in the day, but this reminds me of that little story about the T-34 that shot down a British jet....too good to be true, but anything's possible.

I was in Hawaii, getting ready to go out on a Friday night when I saw that one. First I'm trying not to groan as ol' Harm saves the world, then I saw where they were going with the episode...I started yelling at the TV. I actually threw a shoe. I think he also had lost brake pressure or something, and was 2 engine...

I have the vids (ok, 8mm, but its on Quicktime) of the takeoffs and landings they really did. Supposedly they were able to go into beta just prior to crossing the ramp. Freaky.

TANGO 1

Contributor
I am loving this, all i need is somebody that will say they actually saw the JAG episode. Well i don't think the ANG pilot will like to tell me about how they failed to complet mission on account of improper planning. Just like a Navy pilot tell me he saw a chief sucked into the intake.

Bad propaganda

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Yeah, heard the same thing. I was under the impression that they were able to come to a full stop and then do a full take-off too.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
A C-130 did infact do touch and goes on a carrier. He ws the CO of the Sumos out in Okinawa and I met him. I also saw pics on the discovery channel. They did not trap though

The stuff I saw was all done by a LCDR, full stops and JATO take-offs. The video is black and white, kinda grainy, but is narrated. I guess the t-n-g's were done later.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
skidkid said:

they did not trap but there was a C-130 that succesful came to a full stop on a flat top

it then took back off

take it, there were no aircraft on deck but there's a video on the internet some where

rare21

pilot
Contributor
well at the end of that jag episode they showed the grainy footage of the C-130 landing on the carrier. Kinda like the episode where he pushed another F-14 by way of the tailhook with his canopy to get it over the water. I thought it was total BS until they said an Air Force bubba pushed another jet during Vietnam. Now i am NOT a jag fan just for some reason saw those two..........Catherine Bell rules!

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
This is a little more like when the SGT tells the PFC all about the brand new high tech radio that just came in, and then tells him to run down and tell the Gunny that he needs to check out a PRC-E7