• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Anthropometric Thread: Do you fit??

dared

Does anyone know the max height for a pilot that can fit in the Hornet(2 seater as well), Prowler, Helos, or maritime?...Im 6'3'' about 195 and headed to OCS this summer, think id have any problems fitting in any of the aircraft the marines have to offer?

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
I can only speak for the CH-53, but I have flown with pilots that were 6'5"/6'6" and they had no problems adjusting the seat. Our pedals adjust as well as the seat so you have a good amount of variables to get comfortable.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I was told I was too tall for prowler's @ 75". This was from my recruiter and not a flight surgeon or anything like that so I don't know its % of validity or not. Hope that helps some.

r/
Josh

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm 6'4 and 205 lbs. The key is the anthropometric chair and the fit-check. They will sit you in a weird chair at NAMI and measure all of your various parts (keep your mind out of the gutter). Height, reach, legs, etc. My "problem" was the femur (butt-to-knee) length. Squeeze yourself as small as possible, until it hurts. Don't let it show, though.

You'll be classified as "in norms" or "out of norms". I may have the terminology wrong, but that's basically it. If you're out of norms, they'll "fit-check" you. Simply put, they take you to a plane and see if you fit in it and can move all of the controls and flip all of the switches. If you fit, you pass. They'll start with training aircraft. It doesn't matter if you fit in a Hornet if you don't fit in a T-34/T-45 since you have to fly those first anyway.

The key to the fit-check is selling the aviation physiologist. Act comfortable and tell him how much it feels comfortable. Obviously, if you CAN'T fit and work the controls, don't lie (or lie in general for that matter). I'm just saying that how you act in the check has a great influence on it.

I was NPQ in the TA-4J, which made me ineligible for jets. The paperwork got "lost" (don't ask how, it's a very long story) and I had to recheck. I crammed myself in the chair to the point that I didn't even pop for "out of norms" the second time, so fit-checks were not required. I wound up getting jets (got winged flying the TA-4J) and now fly Harriers. I can fit and fly in any jet/helo in the inventory. I've sat in nearly all of them and flown some, too.

A word of caution: don't overly game it. Sell the fact that you fit, but if you really don't think that you can move all of the controls (this won't happen at your size) then don't fly it. Also, if you think that you can get yourself NPQd from helos/props etc to ensure jets (or whatever) it will likely backfire and get you NPQd altogether. I do know 1 guy who had to go C-130s because of his height, but honestly, I think he BS'd them. He's not much bigger than I am.

At your size, I think you'll be fine for whatever you want. All of the cockpits are fairly large and the pedals/seat moves to accomodate you. Hope this helps.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
This link has pictures on how to do the different anthro measurements so you have some idea! http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/3710_37A.pdf

Feddoc, in that link you posted, it codes people with their anthro's and body weight. I noticed that my body weight was light compared to some of my anthro measurements, ex.- 175 lbs. and 39 in. sitting height where as the charted weight for 170.1-185 lbs. only goes up to 37.5-38.4 in. for sitting height, but for higher weight the sitting height increases, what does that mean? Can a person have a higher sitting height if they weigh more??

Or am I reading the chart wrong?? Do you just go across for each measurement and find what code it falls under, without grouping them together?? Just look at them individually??

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I'm 6'4, 215 lbs and recently got through the anthro part of my physical. When I was applying initially, the issue I had was sitting height. Like Harrier Dude said, they put you in the chair and check a variety of measurements including seated, arm length, femur, etc. Everything is compiled and they run your numbers against the standards. For me, sitting height was a problem. My first measurements were so close that I had to go back and get checked again (for jets and helos). As mentioned above, a little bit of slouching can go a long way. The anthro techs aren't out to NPQ you, and they will sometimes do what they can to "help out." You have to fit into 2 of 3 airframe pipelines for the Navy/Marines to consider it worth their time to accept you. Even at my size, they cleared me for all three... good luck with everything.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Well, I am 6'5", and I wasn't too tall for an NFO slot, but my anthro measurements knocked me out. So 77" is evidently not an automatic DQ.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
there's always SWO people. No need for doing an anthro check when all you have to do is make sure you can duck. Saves a lot of time and hassle. :D

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
JoshDavid said:
I was told I was too tall for prowler's @ 75". This was from my recruiter and not a flight surgeon or anything like that so I don't know its % of validity or not. Hope that helps some.

Same thing here... something about the prongs on top of the ejection seat being better suited than say, your head, for breaking through the canopy.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
Why oh why...

Am I anthro'd out of Prowlers. I am 5'11 1/2" and 220#. Not that it is a big deal or anything, but if anyone else is in the same boat as me let me know. I am just curious as to the reason.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
midhusker said:
Am I anthro'd out of Prowlers. I am 5'11 1/2" and 220#. Not that it is a big deal or anything, but if anyone else is in the same boat as me let me know. I am just curious as to the reason.

Take it Prowlers is your first choice?

B

Blutonski816

Man...

Is it just me or am I seeing a bunch of threads on height restrictions??

I'm only 5'8"... It sounds like I'm gonna be a shrub in a forest of Redwoods...

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
nah, don't want em, just curious as to why I am anthro'd out of them. Seems like there are alot of people that are and I can not figure out why.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
midhusker said:
nah, don't want em, just curious as to why I am anthro'd out of them. Seems like there are alot of people that are and I can not figure out why.

I believe the killer is torso height or sitting height, can't remember which.