• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The First Duty is to Remember...

phrogpilot73

30 May, 1983 - the 24 MAU relieves the 22 MAU in Beirut, Lebanon.

23 October, 1983 - Suicide truck loaded with equivalent of 12,000 pounds of explosives destroyed headquarters building of BLT 1/8 at Beirut International Airport. Almost simultaneous suicide attack destroyed building occupied by French paratroopers. U.S. casualties: 241 killed, 70 wounded. French casualties: 58 killed. Marine replacement airlifts, via 13 C-141 aircraft, begin the same day.

As a member of The Beirut Battalion (1/8), I deployed in 2006 with the 24 MEU. 23 years later, and BLT 1/8 was back in Beirut - conducting a NEO of over 14,000 AMCITS (to include Anthony Bourdain). Original members of BLT 1/8, 24 MAU were there to greet us upon our return from deployment - for although we are generationally removed, we are forever linked as brothers in arms.

They came in peace...

UTS45.jpg

jmcquate

Contributor
Great book on the subject titled "The Root". Hard to find, but if you can....buy it. Thanks Phrogpilot, I forgot what day it was.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Attached to B Co, 1st LAR for a summer cruise from USNA, the Company Commander assigned the other Mid and I book reports. Other guy got 'Blackhawk Down' and I got 'The Root'. What a fantastic book on an overall shitty situation. The political groundwork laid throughout the first part of the book takes some determination to get through, but it is worth it. I thought that we (Amazon) sold a Kindle version of it, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Yep, Kindle version in residence in my cloud.