• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

exNavyOffRec

Hi everybody, this "old" guy has a question about eyes. I'm at 20/100, 20/200, so I'd need some PRK to get SNA, which is my goal. I'm 29 presently and will be at least 30 by the time I'm commissioned. I am tempted to do PRK now and delay my application from as early as the July board into November or likely March to deal with the 6 month waiting period in hopes of a guaranteed air contract, but I'll be pushing 31. I could try for a competitive contract at TBS but I hear those are not going on at present. I figure with the surgery & training I'd finish advanced around 32 and fly into my mid 40's. The rest of my packet is in decent shape; this is my only hold up. Should I do PRK now, wait until I'm accepted to OCS, or even later?

It looks as if you are going USMC and while there are differences between USN and USMC I am willing to bet you must meet vision requirements to get a contract, which would lead me to believe you would need to have vision that is in standards before you apply.

I would think your recruiter would have the precise answers you need on this.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also you do not meet the age requirement...are you a prior looking to get an age waiver?

Camperman

Not a prior, which really works against me. My OSO thought earlier that I had a chance in spite of this, and based on these boards I have the impression that availability is really the driving force; if they had a hard time finding guys with physical quals & good ASTB scores they might let someone in who's a little more seasoned.

mb1685

This is likely one of the silliest questions ever asked here, but during a NAMI physical, is it the doctor's discretion whether or not to administer the approved alternative depth perception tests? For instance, even though the stereo booklet and Verhoeff are technically approved, is it permissible for a doctor to deny a request to take one of those tests (presumably after failing the AFVT)?

I had my MEPS physical yesterday and managed to pass section D of the AFVT depth perception test, but it was very difficult and I think the possibility of failing it if taken again would be very real, especially through the stress of OCS. I've taken the Randot at a civilian optometrist's office before and passed to 40 seconds of arc pretty easily, but I'm paranoid that (if selected) I might have an impatient doctor during the NAMI physical who has an attitude of "just because I can administer the other tests doesn't mean I'll choose to", since I don't imagine they'll be very accommodating since they're constantly trying to conduct a high volume of physicals. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I just despise the AFVT test and hope I'm not forced into that being my only option somehow.

By the way, my eyes were both 20/20 for near and distant vision and I didn't miss any of the color plates, but they didn't conduct any other visual tests/examinations other than those and depth percetion. I told them I was an OCS applicant applying for pilot and they seemed to understand that, but they left the night vision and cycloplegic refraction parts of the form blank, and they didn't examine my eyes so there was also no slit lamp or dilated fundus examination. I know some of the requirements are for NAMI specifically rather than N3M, but will N3M require any vision related results other than visual acuity, color vision, and depth perception in order to receive a PQ letter for SNA, or is it likely I'll have to return to MEPS?

Last edited:

RoamingBiologist

Flying out deep into the wilderness.
This is likely one of the silliest questions ever asked here, but during a NAMI physical, is it the doctor's discretion whether or not to administer the approved alternative depth perception tests? For instance, even though the stereo booklet and Verhoeff are technically approved, is it permissible for a doctor to deny a request to take one of those tests (presumably after failing the AFVT)?

I had my MEPS physical yesterday and managed to pass section D of the AFVT depth perception test, but it was very difficult and I think the possibility of failing it if taken again would be very real, especially through the stress of OCS. I've taken the Randot at a civilian optometrist's office before and passed to 40 seconds of arc pretty easily, but I'm paranoid that (if selected) I might have an impatient doctor during the NAMI physical who has an attitude of "just because I can administer the other tests doesn't mean I'll choose to", since I don't imagine they'll be very accommodating since they're constantly trying to conduct a high volume of physicals. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I just despise the AFVT test and hope I'm not forced into that being my only option somehow.

By the way, my eyes were both 20/20 for near and distant vision and I didn't miss any of the color plates, but they didn't conduct any other visual tests/examinations other than those and depth percetion. I told them I was an OCS applicant applying for pilot and they seemed to understand that, but they left the night vision and cycloplegic refraction parts of the form blank, and they didn't examine my eyes so there was also no slit lamp or dilated fundus examination. I know some of the requirements are for NAMI specifically rather than N3M, but will N3M require any vision related results other than visual acuity, color vision, and depth perception in order to receive a PQ letter for SNA, or is it likely I'll have to return to MEPS?

I had a full eye exam back in April and I don't believe I received a depth perception test, although I could be wrong (calling tomorrow to find out). My eye doctor was an Airforce doctor and he said I was all clear. I passed section D, but that was hard as hell for me and I have the same concern as you. I am going back to my doctor to get a full eye exam again including depth perception and anything else on that NAMI guide. If everything checks out with my eye doctor could these documents be given to the NAMI doctor at OCS if I am selected for SNA/NFO? I know he/she will most likely give me the test again, but would it be appropriate to supply them the info the day I turn in my injections info and what not?

puggle

It a slight tropia in my right eye considered disqualifying for SNA? It is completely corrected with glasses.

cofranc736

If this is a silly question, then we are both silly. I have almost the exact same fear. When I went to MEPS in August, I failed their depth perception test. I do not know what it is called that they used, but I had to look into a machine and there were bolded circles in a row and I had to choose the one that was 3-D and appeared to be "popping-out." I immediately went to my optometrist to test my depth perception. He used the Randot Stereotest with 40 second arc and I passed with nothing wrong. I go to NAMI next month and my fear is that if I pass their depth perception test, what will happen when I get to OCS and i fail the depth perception test? I heard that since candidates are usually sleep-deprived before eye exams at OCS, their eye exams are generally worse than under normal circumstances...If I obtain a SNA contract and fail OCS depth perception, is my SNA contract revoked?

Mxdamien

Good Evening,
I am applying for an air contract this fall in hopes of getting an SNA spot upon graduation (SNFO will be on my list as well). My vision as it stands is -4.75L and -5.25R myopia. I am getting PRK this summer to correct it and will be applying for a waiver. My question is even with getting PRK (I am correctable to 20/15) will I still be DQ'd from an SNA spot due to my current eye sight reagrdless if I get it corrected and granted a PRK waiver? I have no Astigmatism and all other parameters are within acceptable limits (BC, Pressure, field of vission, color vision, etc).

Next question is if I am allowed an SNA spot, will my current pre-op eyesight dictate what I could and could not someday fly? (Jets, Rotor, Dual-Controls).
--All assuming a make it through OCS, TBS and flight school of course and what the current needs are.
Thanks

Last edited:

Sooners2812

Does anyone know if it's possible to get lasik while on oharp? I barely skated by my eye exam at OCS and now I've got 13 weeks to kill before I show up in Pensacola. I'm not sure who I'd contact down there to inquire further.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know if it's possible to get lasik while on oharp? I barely skated by my eye exam at OCS and now I've got 13 weeks to kill before I show up in Pensacola. I'm not sure who I'd contact down there to inquire further.
You'd need to speak the head ophthalmologist at NOMI. Eye surgery is disqualifying for flight status and is considered grounds for NPQ until a waiver is granted. I'd wait until you earned your wings. Getting LASIK or PRK prior to flight school is very risky.

Ace_riley

Were you able to get an answer on this? Having the exact same issue and not sure what to do. The lady at MEPS seemed to rush me through the test and I didn't realize how important it was. I passed through line B and maybe could do better with another try. Other vision was 20-20 or better, recruiter seemed to think that was all I needed to be selected, but from reading here I know better.

Will I still get orders for SNA as of now, or do I need to request a retest? Does MEPS or OCS issue the alternative approved tests upon request? Thanks

exNavyOffRec

Were you able to get an answer on this? Having the exact same issue and not sure what to do. The lady at MEPS seemed to rush me through the test and I didn't realize how important it was. I passed through line B and maybe could do better with another try. Other vision was 20-20 or better, recruiter seemed to think that was all I needed to be selected, but from reading here I know better.

Will I still get orders for SNA as of now, or do I need to request a retest? Does MEPS or OCS issue the alternative approved tests upon request? Thanks

When your medical record goes to N3M for review they will see the failed depth perception, that will make you ineligible to go to the SNA board, go to a civilian eye doc and have them do a depth perception test if you want a chance to be seen by the SNA board.

Ace_riley

When your medical record goes to N3M for review they will see the failed depth perception, that will make you ineligible to go to the SNA board, go to a civilian eye doc and have them do a depth perception test if you want a chance to be seen by the SNA board.

Thanks for your response. I've seen you say a few times on here that people do that only to fail again at OCS. Under what circumstances do they issue the alternative testing?

TigerKiller

Just received word from my recent MEPS visit that eyesight was 20/50 R 20/25 L. Saw an Ophthalmologist/former Flight Surgeon this morning for retest who determined that I am in fact 20/40 both eyes. His results clear me for my SNA application so I'm grateful for that. Just want to pass on a bit of information that he gave me before I left:

"There will never be Q's or K's on an eye exam."

Just something to keep in mind for those fuzzy O's and X's

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just received word from my recent MEPS visit that eyesight was 20/50 R 20/25 L. Saw an Ophthalmologist/former Flight Surgeon this morning for retest who determined that I am in fact 20/40 both eyes. His results clear me for my SNA application so I'm grateful for that. Just want to pass on a bit of information that he gave me before I left:

"There will never be Q's or K's on an eye exam."

Just something to keep in mind for those fuzzy O's and X's

No they don't. You need to get an eye exam from either MEPS or a military hospital/clinic to be qualified.