• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

exNavyOffRec

And here I thought my eyes were bad! I seem to remember +/-8.0 diopters was the cutoff when I commissioned, we had one guy at my school who was a bit over the limit and he had to get waivered. Either way congrats, what you did took some guts and I wish you the best in your career.

Technically it still is, but if the community desires someone they can push for it, of course the direction that the USN has been going people like this won't even get seen by a board since they would need to be medically cleared before going to board, so the community can fight for someone they don't know about.

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
I was PROREC'd before I went through the MEPS / N33 process, which is probably not the norm, so I'm all but certain that's the only reason I was able to pull off my waiver. So I don't doubt at all what @NavyOffRec says about the current direction the Navy is taking regarding these types of medical issues, a lot of people I've talked to have said mine and similar cases would be an incredibly difficult uphill battle given the current state of the economy and the military's overall downsizing.

T-Machine

I was recently accepted for SNA this past board. I have been paranoid about my vision since applying, and next week I am going get checked for dry eye syndrome. I believe that is the cause of the off and on blurry ness in my right eye, even though I passed as 20/20 at MEPS. Would getting diagnosed or a prescription DQ me or hurt me in any way?

I would really appreciate some incite on the matter. Thanks, Travis

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I was recently accepted for SNA this past board. I have been paranoid about my vision since applying, and next week I am going get checked for dry eye syndrome. I believe that is the cause of the off and on blurry ness in my right eye, even though I passed as 20/20 at MEPS. Would getting diagnosed or a prescription DQ me or hurt me in any way?

I would really appreciate some incite on the matter. Thanks, Travis

T-Machine, dry eye syndrome is fairly common and will not DQ you from flying in the Navy. Have fun at OCS!

Beefalo

And here I thought my eyes were bad! I seem to remember +/-8.0 diopters was the cutoff when I commissioned, we had one guy at my school who was a bit over the limit and he had to get waivered. Either way congrats, what you did took some guts and I wish you the best in your career.

I was in the same boat. Had PRK at -8.50 refraction and came out 20/20. Didnt even have to pursue a waiver from N3M but NAMI still gave me the whammy. Got accepted into a RL community but aviation doesnt seem to budge at pre-op requirements. Spoke with the flight doc at NAMI afterwards and waiver still not recommended. I was enlisted when I had PRK so even having a Navy doc do it at a DOD facility didnt help.

Lore

We should work on your sense of humor, brother.
This was already discussed to some extent here, though it was some years ago...

I am still putting my application together for SNA/SNFO. I am scheduled to take the ASTB July 8 and going to MEPS some time after that.

The only way I can see myself being medically DQ'd is for vision. I have worn contacts for about a year and half now and am quite certain that my vision without them is not 20/40. I do not know exactly what it is at this time.

Main questions for someone who would know or has experienced this:

Is there currently a SNA contact lens waiver? Can you be waivered for PRK/Lasik (correct to 20/20) if your uncorrected vision is worse than 20/40?

I have read a couple of the (current?) Aeromedical guides, but it can be hard to decipher what rules apply to whom and which ones have changed recently.

Also... supposing all this was to work out in my favor, but I had to get surgery, I assume the surgery would be done (at my expense) prior to OCS? I ask because my OR said that if I pass at MEPS for 20/40 (which I doubt) I can wait until after API, Primary, Advanced etc... and get the surgery done at the military's expense. That does not sound very reasonable to me nor would it be something I am comfortable with if I am not allowed to wear my contacts. I am not blind, but I would not want to fly anything without better vision than I have sans contacts.

This all assumes that I would not be DQ'd at NAMI after OCS. Seems like that is where the crap generally hits the fan.

exNavyOffRec

This was already discussed to some extent here, though it was some years ago...

I am still putting my application together for SNA/SNFO. I am scheduled to take the ASTB July 8 and going to MEPS some time after that.

The only way I can see myself being medically DQ'd is for vision. I have worn contacts for about a year and half now and am quite certain that my vision without them is not 20/40. I do not know exactly what it is at this time.

Main questions for someone who would know or has experienced this:

Is there currently a SNA contact lens waiver? Can you be waivered for PRK/Lasik (correct to 20/20) if your uncorrected vision is worse than 20/40?

I have read a couple of the (current?) Aeromedical guides, but it can be hard to decipher what rules apply to whom and which ones have changed recently.

Also... supposing all this was to work out in my favor, but I had to get surgery, I assume the surgery would be done (at my expense) prior to OCS? I ask because my OR said that if I pass at MEPS for 20/40 (which I doubt) I can wait until after API, Primary, Advanced etc... and get the surgery done at the military's expense. That does not sound very reasonable to me nor would it be something I am comfortable with if I am not allowed to wear my contacts. I am not blind, but I would not want to fly anything without better vision than I have sans contacts.

This all assumes that I would not be DQ'd at NAMI after OCS. Seems like that is where the crap generally hits the fan.

If your worse eye is greater than 20/40 then you will not be given a PQ letter for SNA, no PQ letter for SNA means you cannot be seen by the board for SNA.

Lore

We should work on your sense of humor, brother.
If your worse eye is greater than 20/40 then you will not be given a PQ letter for SNA, no PQ letter for SNA means you cannot be seen by the board for SNA.

Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in saying that one trip to MEPS will cover all armed forces MEPS requirements? If the Navy is not going to work out based on vision, I am seriously considering ANG. Would rather only go to MEPS once.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

I was wondering about this, so the board won't even see you (potentially) until you've had your surgery of choice, waited the 6 months, and been waivered? I'm outside 20/40 but I was hoping I could be picked up by a board about a year out from graduation, have the surgery, and get a PQ in time to get my Final Select.

exNavyOffRec

I was wondering about this, so the board won't even see you (potentially) until you've had your surgery of choice, waited the 6 months, and been waivered? I'm outside 20/40 but I was hoping I could be picked up by a board about a year out from graduation, have the surgery, and get a PQ in time to get my Final Select.

unless they just changed things again you have to have a PQ letter to be seen for SNA and SNFO, without the PQ letter your application should't leave the NRD, but would be caught in the QA check by the NRD processors.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
unless they just changed things again you have to have a PQ letter to be seen for SNA and SNFO, without the PQ letter your application should't leave the NRD, but would be caught in the QA check by the NRD processors.

Disappointing to hear, but thanks for the heads up.

speedroller

Rangers
Ok, I am in a dilemma now. My PRK surgery felt through due to some potential complications afterwards. A scan revealed that my corneas might change shape after the surgery. I think its a fluke and will go for another check in a month. Anyhow, currently have 20/30 and 20/40 vision with a -1.00 refractive error in both eyes. I can squint the 20/25 line. So my eyes are not that terrible. Has anyone gone thought the SNA path and got selected with less than 20/20 vision? Yes, I know that the requirement allows up to 20/40, but in reality it seems to be different.

Thanks.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
People get selected for SNA at less than 20/20. It isn't that incredibly uncommon. Have to be correctable to 20/20 though

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I am in a dilemma now. My PRK surgery felt through due to some potential complications afterwards. A scan revealed that my corneas might change shape after the surgery. I think its a fluke and will go for another check in a month. Anyhow, currently have 20/30 and 20/40 vision with a -1.00 refractive error in both eyes. I can squint the 20/25 line. So my eyes are not that terrible. Has anyone gone thought the SNA path and got selected with less than 20/20 vision? Yes, I know that the requirement allows up to 20/40, but in reality it seems to be different.

Thanks.
Your signature indicates you had PRK 4 days ago. Your eyes will get better over the next few months. Give it some time.