• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

tdodge

I've been in a back and forth with N3M for some medical documents after my commissioning physical (final approval pending further information), and it's been 9 days since I submitted my latest requested documents. Anybody know if they're still working?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The little booger hook looks sad, but is healing. Now to start getting NAMI to concur with my assessment that if I can hold a beer, I can fly a plane...24841

ajwhite222

Hey I have a couple questions about the OCS flight physical. So I passed everything at MEPS and am set to go to OCS in May for SNA. I have a couple medical history issues that I have disclosed and I do not know if will come up as an issue at OCS, as everyone I speak too seems to tell me something different in my recruitment office. (I have spoken to 2 recruiters in the office, one told me NAMI passes everyone before they are even looked at for the board, and if you pass MEPS you have nothing to worry about once you get to OCS, The other is telling me there is the flight physical but will not give any details or answer questions).
The first issue being Migraines, specifically my diagnosis says with Aura, This being said it is documented that I had only had the aura once in 6th grade and that I experienced it the day I was diagnosed with a concussion, and the doctor made note of that. There is a history of headaches and migraines after that, but migraines stopped when I was 18, I'm 23 now, but headaches until 20 which were not impacting on school or work or my daily life. The only symptoms of the migraines were sensitivity to light and sound.
Second and last issue being ADD. I was given a prescription for ADD meds, focalin and ritalin, in oct 2015. As I started college my mom was concerned of my lack of attention in Highschool and convinced me it would be a good idea. I never used school resources such as an IEP or aid from the college. I did not like the meds and stopped taking them so, I only took the meds until December of 2015, end of first semester of college however the doctor kept the prescription until April 2018 just in case I wanted them again, I never did. My doctor notes that the ADD is not an issue, it was just more of a lack of discipline but will not remove the diagnosis. I had my worst semester grade wise while on the meds, and finished college a semester early with a 3.4gpa doing a double major in Management and Marketing and working full time and doing extra outside schooling programs all 3.5 years of school.

Is there any insight on what to expect with the flight physical or what I can do to better prepare? Will there be major issues with NAMI? What can I do before May to set myself up in the best position?

exNavyOffRec

Hey I have a couple questions about the OCS flight physical. So I passed everything at MEPS and am set to go to OCS in May for SNA. I have a couple medical history issues that I have disclosed and I do not know if will come up as an issue at OCS, as everyone I speak too seems to tell me something different in my recruitment office. (I have spoken to 2 recruiters in the office, one told me NAMI passes everyone before they are even looked at for the board, and if you pass MEPS you have nothing to worry about once you get to OCS, The other is telling me there is the flight physical but will not give any details or answer questions).
The first issue being Migraines, specifically my diagnosis says with Aura, This being said it is documented that I had only had the aura once in 6th grade and that I experienced it the day I was diagnosed with a concussion, and the doctor made note of that. There is a history of headaches and migraines after that, but migraines stopped when I was 18, I'm 23 now, but headaches until 20 which were not impacting on school or work or my daily life. The only symptoms of the migraines were sensitivity to light and sound.
Second and last issue being ADD. I was given a prescription for ADD meds, focalin and ritalin, in oct 2015. As I started college my mom was concerned of my lack of attention in Highschool and convinced me it would be a good idea. I never used school resources such as an IEP or aid from the college. I did not like the meds and stopped taking them so, I only took the meds until December of 2015, end of first semester of college however the doctor kept the prescription until April 2018 just in case I wanted them again, I never did. My doctor notes that the ADD is not an issue, it was just more of a lack of discipline but will not remove the diagnosis. I had my worst semester grade wise while on the meds, and finished college a semester early with a 3.4gpa doing a double major in Management and Marketing and working full time and doing extra outside schooling programs all 3.5 years of school.

Is there any insight on what to expect with the flight physical or what I can do to better prepare? Will there be major issues with NAMI? What can I do before May to set myself up in the best position?

I have seen people DQ for aviation for both of those items, you need to wait and see what happens when you do the flight physical at OCS, once that is done NAMI will review and make a decision.

taxi1

pilot
So, asking for a friend...cough cough...
The orthopedic section of the NAMI Guide that I could find via google didn’t have much about retained hardware.
If a certain DH shattered a finger playing basketball, has a plate and seven screws installed, and is worried about what it would take to get back up...where would they look?
Of course google on "Toeser", who recently passed away. He had his big toe sewn on to replace his thumb, and kept flying Tomcats. This thread. https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/joe-“hoser”-satrapa.46453/#post-939850

Friend of mine had a tib-fib break (also playing basketball...dangerous sport) and kept flying Intruders after getting a titanium rod permanently stuck in the tibia.

Kind of cool you'll now be able to knife-hand strike a cinderblock wall and only break the 4 other fingers.

nick3893

Anyone have an experience getting DQ'd for maybe undiagnosed eczema/dermatitis? I have had a bad habit of itching and getting small scabs which turn into tiny scars on my thighs which built up over time, but I was never diagnosed officially with eczema or dermatitis. I have some years ahead of me till going through MEPS / applying it to OCS so hopefully by then most of the scars can start to fade.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Of course google on "Toeser", who recently passed away. He had his big toe sewn on to replace his thumb, and kept flying Tomcats. This thread. https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/joe-“hoser”-satrapa.46453/#post-939850

Friend of mine had a tib-fib break (also playing basketball...dangerous sport) and kept flying Intruders after getting a titanium rod permanently stuck in the tibia.

Kind of cool you'll now be able to knife-hand strike a cinderblock wall and only break the 4 other fingers.
Should be submitting my waiver to NAMI next week, hope they see it the same way. One portion of the documentation involved holding a can of soda with the bum hand and taking pix. Asked the doc if I could use a beer, she said “Only if you want an alcohol waiver too.”

I seriously considered it...