• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When I got my ADD waiver from NAMI I brought multiple letters from my doctors that I had gotten ADD meds from as well as tests showing that I "no longer had symptoms". I assume that those played a a role, so maybe try doing that? I hope it works out for you cause that's really a rididculius reason to keep you from flying

When they complete their OCS physical I believe they will also see their MEPS physical to include ADD documentation (which the OP probably has).

aribjc

When they complete their OCS physical I believe they will also see their MEPS physical to include ADD documentation (which the OP probably has).
Yeah they certainly did ask for that. What I was saying is that before I went to take my physical I went to the doctors and got extra stuff that basically said I didn't have ADD "anymore". So if OP hasn't gotten any paperwork like that, it would be helpful to get it since I believe that is the thing that convinced them to give me a waiver. It certainly wasn't my college performance once I was off the medication because I got very average grades, if not below average.

xcinman

Awaiting my commission in May
Is anyone here familiar with, and correct me if I spell it completely wrong as I only heard it over the phone, anything referred to as DOMERS. Once again, thats probably spelled incorrectly. My OSO called me and after we were having issues getting MEPS to look at me, he said we are going through this now. He said it is the same exact process/purpose as MEPS except ran through by civilian doctors and such. I am simply looking into this more to hopefully gain some more insight as to what this actually is and if the chances are any better with them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The term is DODMERB. I always wondered what happened to that process, as it was the one I went through instead of MEPS, but that was specifically for ROTC and Service Academies.

xcinman

The term is DODMERB. I always wondered what happened to that process, as it was the one I went through instead of MEPS, but that was specifically for ROTC and Service Academies.
Ok, I imagined I was a bit off on the spelling. Apparently that is what I will be going through. I really don’t know anything about it other than I am supposed to do most of the coordinating through a provided profile online of some sorts. I would just get my Physical and everything done through a civilian physician that I schedule an appointment with. Not sure how much longer this process will take or if it will better my chances. They were were hoping my profile is set up by Friday so we will know soon enough what it is like. Still holding onto a little bit of hope for all of this.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It may vary based on location. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember going to some clinic-like facility. It was busier than a doctor's office, but I wasn't in a group like I hear people talk about at MEPS or like a pre-comm physical at Branch Medical.

You do your thing, then you leave.

Skip1928

I have read online that medical waivers are only valid for two years. I was medically cleared by DODMERB in 2015 (while in NROTC), after receiving a medical waiver for adolescent moodiness. Due to financial reasons I had to DOR from ROTC with the intent to apply for OCS after graduation. Now, a year and a half out of college, I want to apply for OCS but am wondering if anyone as any insight into the process of re-investigating a previously granted waiver? I know that OCS does not use DODMERB, but I am wondering if having the waiver granted previously by them will help during the re-evaluation for my OCS waiver? Will MEPS and NAMI will be able to get my medical records and documents, including the testing I underwent with a Navy doc in order for the waiver to be granted? Or do I need to have DODMERB release the records to me and then bring them to MEPS? To make matters more complicated, I was prescribed an ADD medication from 2016-2017, even though there was no formal diagnosis. This doctor, who has since retired, ran his own practice, and the phone number I have for him is now disconnected. I know to get this waivered I need to show competency without medication for at least a year and submit records of the treatment and competency while off the medication, or if the records are not retrievable, a formal letter from the practice that says as much (I know that a simple letter written by the doctor will not be accepted). I unfortunately, have no records of this treatment or way to contact the practice (that no longer exists) to get a letter stating that the records are not available. Any suggestions or advice are highly appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have read online that medical waivers are only valid for two years. I was medically cleared by DODMERB in 2015 (while in NROTC), after receiving a medical waiver for adolescent moodiness. Due to financial reasons I had to DOR from ROTC with the intent to apply for OCS after graduation. Now, a year and a half out of college, I want to apply for OCS but am wondering if anyone as any insight into the process of re-investigating a previously granted waiver? I know that OCS does not use DODMERB, but I am wondering if having the waiver granted previously by them will help during the re-evaluation for my OCS waiver? Will MEPS and NAMI will be able to get my medical records and documents, including the testing I underwent with a Navy doc in order for the waiver to be granted? Or do I need to have DODMERB release the records to me and then bring them to MEPS? To make matters more complicated, I was prescribed an ADD medication from 2016-2017, even though there was no formal diagnosis. This doctor, who has since retired, ran his own practice, and the phone number I have for him is now disconnected. I know to get this waivered I need to show competency without medication for at least a year and submit records of the treatment and competency while off the medication, or if the records are not retrievable, a formal letter from the practice that says as much (I know that a simple letter written by the doctor will not be accepted). I unfortunately, have no records of this treatment or way to contact the practice (that no longer exists) to get a letter stating that the records are not available. Any suggestions or advice are highly appreciated.

Ask your OR these questions and then get back to me.

StretchA94

Stretch
WTF was this at TBS? What did your SPC say after he stopped laughing? I'm no doc, but I think you should be fine. I had four wisdom teeth pulled before I went down to PCola and the NAMI docs didn't bat an eye.

The SAW is a cruel mistress bro; I thought hiking with one sucked.
Did you get wisdom teeth pulled after OCS but before PCola?

xcinman

It may vary based on location. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember going to some clinic-like facility. It was busier than a doctor's office, but I wasn't in a group like I hear people talk about at MEPS or like a pre-comm physical at Branch Medical.

You do your thing, then you leave.

So after a somewhat lengthy process in trying to get all the appointments scheduled and the portal access all lined up for DoDMERB, I had my examinations submitted to DoDMERB on the 4th of October and received my "Qualified" letter online, on the 5th. I was expecting a much longer wait for it, and I honestly expected to have to deal with some remedial requests of some sort. With that being said, I am officially medically cleared and will be going before the selection board in November as my OSO said the October board was canceled. It's starting to all finally come together! Thanks for the help here.