• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I've come to understand that in AF UPT there is a LOT of jumping to attention and shouting boldface/EP's, coming to attention when IP's walk in the room, etc....

...the brief. That's it. No standup. Know x, y, and z for the brief. Everything else is on your own time. No mandatory show-times for 10+ hours a day.
I'm prior AF enlisted who deployed with AF pilots who went through API in Pensacola. This is partly why I'm pursuing Navy aviation.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I did primary in Vance. It was pretty stupid. Once we realized the standup EP’s were not graded for the Navy, and you could IMSAFE out of the asshole IP’s, life got better.

The funny thing is they rank their students out on more than just the flights, they have a lot of weight on academics and like 20% was the flight commander’s ranking.

I did primary in Vance. It was pretty stupid. Once we realized the standup EP’s were not graded for the Navy, and you could IMSAFE out of the asshole IP’s, life got better.

The funny thing is they rank their students out on more than just the flights, they have a lot of weight on academics and like 20% was the flight commander’s ranking.

They told me life got significantly worse once they got to Vance. A lot of them didn't even like operational aviation in the AF; one of them has since separated to focus on Amway ffs

ATIS

Sipping my morning cup of Joe:

I’ve chatted with many AF types about this. The whole ranking of studs is F-ing BS. I didn’t see stand up BS during my brief time at the B-1B FRS or much (if any) ranking talk, but that was 15+ years ago. Flight school is about learning to fly. Service academy and ROTC give you the basics to be an officer, flight school should be hands off to build a basics foundation of aviation skill with flight grades being the standard of competition. After that, the RAG/FRS gives folks with wings a little more leadership in the spaces and in the air, but your first squadron is where you compete both in the flight and ground job.
If the AF isn’t doing that, and they don’t see see this... you can’t fix stupid. No wonder why there is a cancer in their ranks and folks are jumping ship. They are stressing the wrong stuff and infusing a back stabbing/unneeded artificial completion in stud ranks.

Little sea story, I was headed out on a T1 support mission after briefing with the our crew and the actual team. My AF Co-pilot, just before we walked, was wondering out loud when we would be back because he had a scheduled PME exam at the base schoolhouse. I lost my shit as I kitted up. He was and still is a good dude but I flipped my shit and said (very loudly with colorful language) we will get back when the hit is complete, even if that means we extend and duck into XYZ for a squirt of gas and go back out. I said this loud enough so that everyone in the RR heard me. Someone worried about PME when three fully loaded -57’s were headed out, relying on our top cover to keep them safe/secure was just too much queep for me to let slide by. UFB. The O6/O5 AF leadership heard what I did and put the screws to the AF types to get their heads in the game. I saw that thinking a lot in the AF circles, thinking non-mission when the mission was in work.
ATIS

ATIS

How many ground handling wheels did that take?

1. Good catch GD, -57’s would be something to see wouldn’t it. Obviously my morning fat-fingers should have typed “-47’s”.
2. Apologies to any 160th lurkers/readers. Owe you a beer the next time we are at the bar.
ATIS

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Did you make sure your copilot got his PME test done in the end?

:p

(buddy is only half a word)

ATIS

Did you make sure your copilot got his PME test done in the end?

:p

(buddy is only half a word)
He made O4, think that was as far as he climbed the ladder before he jumped. AFSOC is hard to move up within from what saw. Lot of good people chewed up and spit out there.
ATIS

ajpurvis

Jarhead gone squid
Does anyone know where I can find study materials for API prior to attending? I have a few months of downtime before OCS and wanted to get a head start.