• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The AW Virtual Ready Room Rules of the Road (in work)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^ agreed. I think you're right about the perspective of newbies, too. To a certain extent we should just accept the question and give 'em an answer.

Believe it or not, that is the ROE. It's not that simple though in practice. To forestall the flames that sometimes occur when it's the same question that has been asked weekly since the dinosaurs roamed, the various "Stupid Question/Mega-threads" (OCS, ASTB, Naval Aviation, etc.) were introduced in the past year to allow newbies or as it has turned out, anyone including mods to ask burning questions that Mods feel should be captured in these "learning/reference" threads. The intent is to also provide protection from flames as the "Stupid question" threads are sanctuary from same by definition (ie there are no such things as a stupid question). Their popularity has spawned other Mega-threads like the Picture Gallery, "Paddles", Brown Boots, Flight Jackets and others.

Unless the question is "Hi, I'm a freshman in high school and I know my major is going to be electrical engineering at Florida State, where I will earn no lower than a 3.985. My question is, if I want to skip NROTC, how do I get into OCS and make sure that I'm flying the JSF within 2 years?" In that case, yeah let's roundhouse kick them into the search function.

Other exceptions are the newbies that are very curious and tend to create threads faster than a M16 in full auto and the temptation to ask the verboten "What are my chances?" Note: many users fail to note that besides using search function, vBulletin has a nifty feature that does an automatic search for you in every thread you look at and it's sitting at the bottom of every page. It uses the key words in the title of the thread (that's why Mods will modify title of threads to not only better "advertise" the content of the thread, but give the automatic search a better leg up in finding and displaying similar threads. If you have never scrolled to bottom of page, try it on a few threads. If you are starting a thread, check it out as well as it will clue you in as to whether you really started a unique topic (if not, Mods will be along soon enough and merge it if warranted).

That said, the practice of pushback on certain questions is generally no different than what you'll experience in any Ready Room. In that fashion, AW serves a "Virtual Ready Room" or rock tumbler to smooth some of the rough edges on a newbie's quest to a cockpit.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Virtual Ready Room, indeed!

That said, the practice of pushback on certain questions is generally no different than what you'll experience in any Ready Room. In that fashion, AW serves a "Vrtual Ready Room" or rock tumbler to smooth some of the rough edges on a newbie's quest to a cockpit.

... bump.

If there is one thing to be learned (and better to be learned here with an ounce or two of anonymity) from this "virtual ready room," it's that the same rules apply for nuggets: for the first year or so, no one cares about your opinions, but the "elders" should be approachable about questions. There are occasional exceptions to this rule, but for the most part it holds pretty well.

I don't know if the forum software allows it, but I think before your registration is accepted, you should have to read a "rules of the ready room" type thread (I believe it's been done on here before more than once) and should be penalized (restricted posting privileges or negative rep, etc.) for infractions.

... of course, that's the computer programmer talking -- I still enjoy watching the roasts (God knows they are funny in real life, too), and roasting still achieves the same policing effect.:D:D

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Since I joined in June 2007 all the Questions I've had I was able to answer by using the search function. I think in large the new guy is just too lazy and doesn't want to take the extra effort. Just my 2¢ worth here. I shall now go back to my corner and start minding my own business now.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Since I joined in June 2007 all the Questions I've had I was able to answer by using the search function. I think in large the new guy is just too lazy and doesn't want to take the extra effort. Just my 2¢ worth here. I shall now go back to my corner and start minding my own business now.

I think it is often times ignorance as much as laziness. Using the wrong phrase in the search engine can make it entirely useless.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Slammer's 1,000th post: :D

Oddly enough, some of the slight deviations, full out threadjacks, arguments, and other such "off course" discussions have taught me a lot more than I probably would have learned had it not happened.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
AW Virtual Ready Room Rule #1

Rule #1 ... just like NATOPS, it's written in [virtual] blood ... Don't plan on giving advice on a subject or weighing in an opinion unless you have actual experience on the subject. A fleet pilot does not want to hear a flight school cone's opinion just as much as an OCS candidate / ROTC student does not want to hear some civilian's opinion. As we say in the fleet, "Stay in your [experience] grade!!"

Clux4

Banned
Slammer's 1,000th post: :D

Oddly enough, some of the slight deviations, full out threadjacks, arguments, and other such "off course" discussions have taught me a lot more than I probably would have learned had it not happened.

Threadjacking used to be a crime on AW, is still a crime or did everyone just get used to it.
Yeap. threadjacking gives a well rounded perspective on things. Alot of side issues come up and other areas are discussed.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjacking? A CRIME???

More like a proud tradition . . .

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Threadjacking? A CRIME???

More like a proud tradition . . .

Agreed. Threadjacking has expanded my knowledge(s) a ton. I also like it when the Mods take a threadjack and make it its own discussion so the original one can continue as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airwarriors Intro Guide

This brings up a good point, how about we consolidate some of the info here into a beginners guide/FAQ? Provide an intro to the site with some common customs and courtesies along with the answers to some of the more common questions. Like how to become a Navy/USMC/USCG officer with a descriptions of each of the different programs to get a commission, SNA/SNFO training tracks, the different types of aircraft, life in teh different communities, etc, etc. We could even answer the favorite question of all, what percent get _____? I would imagine someone here could get some numbers to give a good idea of the general answer.

Maybe have the customs and courtesies bit required reading when someone signs up and have a page of FAQ's. I think it would be great to provide that kind of info since in a single place where it can be 'verified' and be the latest and greatest. It would be easy for certain guys to contribute on their various communities and for people who have recently completed VT/HT/OCS/ROTC to put up consolidated summaries that can be reviewed and posted.

I think it will reinforce one of the key purposes of the site, to provide info about Naval Aviation, and cut down on the number of newbie questions and the increasingly hostile reception some get.

Just my .02 cents, I would be willing to provide info on what I know and I am certain others would as well. Thoughts?

Clux4

Banned
To go along with what Flash said, how about a thread that has alot of the acronymn thrown around. We throw around alot of acronymns (STS) :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno. Seemed to me like most of the new guys who wind up getting a shotgun full of rock salt are the ones who get snotty when they get a "welcome aboard, use the Search button" response. The ones who come back with a lot of no-punctuation IM-speak run-ons about how they deserve respect and "howdo i get teh kool wings under my usename LOL".

The ones who show a modicum of courtesy and at least ask coherent questions deserve to get, and from what I've seen, usually seem to get, courteous coherent answers in return.

KBayDog

The ones who show a modicum of courtesy and at least ask coherent questions deserve to get, and from what I've seen, usually seem to get, courteous coherent answers in return.

Agreed. It all comes down to professionalism.

I would never expect someone who joins this site to read through the 1,000,001 posts to find his/her answer; I only expect common courtesy and an attempt to use the English language. Both demonstrate a willingness to participate in decent forum discussions and show that one is serious about joining/continuing/supporting our profession.