• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Test - Aircraft models pics

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It also requires a complex gearbox and the headaches that come with it.

Yup! Which is why relatively few prop aircraft used/use it. The noise is also supposed to be much louder as well, I've talked to guys who have intercepted Tu-95/142 Bears and they said the props can be heard loud and clear, not the case with any other aircraft.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or you could pull a Fairey Gannet, involve two engines in said gearbox, and really give the ADs fits.
600px-Gannet_AS.4_NAN9-79.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can't think of anyone else but the Brits ever putting a recip one into production.
Me neither. The wikipedia article @Flash posted stated that the Brits used it on Spits and their derivatives due to propellor size limitations driven by the length of the undercarriage.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't think of anyone else but the Brits ever putting a recip one into production.

Uhhhhh, are you talking about contra-rotating props? Because the Soviets made plenty like the Tu-95/114/128/142 and the An-22.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He specified recip.

But in reply to the contra-rotating propeller article and a reason behind them, a reciprocating engine is something completely different. Or recip props? :confused:

jmcquate

Contributor
Engine Flash. I'm quite familiar with Bears..........and a fan of Tupolov's (sp) design.