• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking the ASTB tomorrow morning

HydraulicMonkey

I can't help but feel that even though I studied for a couple of months before hand that I'm going to be creamed by the math portion.

I do well enough on mechanical comprehension and on the English portions.

But the math is crushing me, even on the practice exams.

Is the math easier on the actual exams than the practice?

Good luck. I took the OAR today and got a 53. The math portion is a lot of DRT, adding work of two people, negative exponents, arithmetic and geometric sequence formulas, probability, and proportion. I don't remember anything about the reading and I don't understand how anyone can prepare for it. The mechanical comprehension section was quite easy. I had some pulley questions (MA and calculating force), some electrical problems, I had two questions just asking the formula (P=F/A and Density), Bernoulli's principle was also asked (round object surrounded by waves), torque problem with three wrenches (which picture provides more torque) and some basic F=MA.

HydraulicMonkey

Do you find that the adrenaline of a real testing environment helps you concentrate more so than when you take the practice exam?

Sorry if that's a weird question but I am sweating with nervousness.

I feel that it would help you. Testing yourself at home on the clock will help. The adrenaline I had today was only present during the math and reading. I also drank coffee all morning prior and was nervous.

scovary

I'm taking the OAR in a month. How did your test go??? The math is killing me. What can you suggest after taking it???

I would say go over the basics. I think the math killed my score because I went over lots of logs, geometry, trig, and more of the advanced. I didn't get a single one of those types of questions. I got a lot arithmetic reasoning. The very first questions was a sequence question: SQRT2, 2, 2SQRT2.... find the third using geometric sequence formula. The second question was a negative exponent question: (8x^2y^4/256x^4y^3)^-1 I messed this one up because I didn't flip the fraction prior to starting the problem so I came up with the wrong numbers for the exponents. Remember PEMDAS and order of operations. The rest of the math questions were DRT problems, adding the work of two three people, finding the time for test questions and finding the average of test exams (with and without weight).