• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking ASTB in 1 hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanVR

Hello,

I take the astb in 1 hour (1300 SEP 11th).
I will post with my thoughts when i get done.

I hope i do well

RyanVR

RyanVR

Well its 4:30 now and i'm back from the ASTB/Contract day paperwork.

I scored 9 9 3 pilot 9 9 5 nfo with the 3/5 being the biographical things.

I was sworn in and all i have left is to wait for the board. Was told the next one is probably going to meet at the end of october.

TEST THOUGHTS:
--------------
i had form 1

math/verbal
-----------
on the verbal side, i don't remember there being any of the ones like in the ARCO book where you have to find the word that is incorrect. They were all just..read the passage, pick the answer that is the most supported by the information given. The hardest one of those i thought was about stars, because it was worded really weirdly something about how as speed and mass decline after a certain mass some sort of thing appears, i forget the term, but read it very carefully if you get that question

math wise
--------
as many have stated..if you can do the marine corps gouge, you will have no problems.
You must understand the core concepts though...not just be able to solve that one particular version of the problem
mechanical comprehension
-----------------------
gave me more trouble than i expected but still not that bad

several problems i remember included

a diagram of a guy on a ladder against a building, question dealing with forces
truck backing up, monkey problem, pully system stuff,

one about a weight attached to a springs

Spatial APP
-----------
2 things different from the arco book

1. show various pictures of planes coming INTO land, not just along the side or out to sea

2. higher degree of bank angles

however, if you read the sample thing, it tells you exactly how to do it
(horizon in center, no climb/dive horizon below center, climb, above = dive) etc then all you have to worry about is how hard the bank is and which picture that corrosponds with
its not bad

AVIATION/NAUTICAL
-----------------
as has been stated, everything on the marine corp guide is on there in one way or another
read up on anything it talks about that you have never heard of.

***EDIT INFO**********
I agreed with the suggestion to remove the answers, so i did. I was just happy with myself and posted on the spur of the moment, but to post such detailed information is unbecoming of a potential officer candidate.

9/9/9/66 oar (i think)

Good Luck,
Ryan

twidget

Deskaholic
Though I'm sure you meant well, I think you went to far into detail in your posting. Even listing specific problems and numbers?! This could easily be construed as cheating.

Recommend you or the webmaster change or delete this post. It's not worth the risk to your potential career and the loss of integrity of the testing system to try to help others.

Great Job on the test by the way. If others try as hard, without unfair assistance, maybe they can do as well.

Nikki

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdensity.htm

this says objects travel faster in humid air due to lower density, but it states that aircraft don't perform as well..hmmm?

cessnajet1h

hey, I think people write out suggestions here as an elite group that probably will be working together in the near future......I think posting ideas helps alot, they are not giving the actual test, so anything could go for answer....also having advice about the test does not construde cheating or anything.
I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT YOUR POTENTIAL IS NOT BASED JUST ON THAT TEST, IF YOU HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH, YOUR GPA FROM SCHOOL PLAYS A BIGGER PERCENTAGE IN THE EQUATION OF QUALIFIED APPLICANTS,

ADVICES ARE WORDS THAT WE CAN TAKE OR NOT, IT IS JUST THAT.......INTEGRITY HAS NOTHING TO DO IN THIS MATTER,
I THINK THAT PEOPLE SHOULD ADVICE ONE ANOTHER, IF ANYONE CAN NOT GRASP THAT CONCEPT THAN YOU PROBABLY WON'T MAKE IT THROUGH OCS.......CHILL OUT

RyanVR

i would however suggest that the test is designed not just to see if you know the material, but to see if you can work quickly and under some amount of stress to come to the answers. Knowing the questions and thus being able to prepare above and beyond reasonable expectations takes away the ability of the test to measure the applicant's true knowledge and thinking "speed".

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for working together. But i did post whole questions and their answers...thats a bit too much.

Ryan

cessnajet1h

Hi, Ryan
You know you are right, but posting some ideas does not constitute that someone's knowledge would sky rocket, time pressure still there, and being able to cocentrate is a must. Some questions that you posted, were not all that specific and if someone does not know the ideas of the Marine study guide they will be lost overall. I took the test and believe me, you scored alot better than i did but you know the overall package is what counts, those scores are to get you foot in the door. I strongly believe that the test does measure academic under pressure, but does not construde the whole individual. Anyhow, I think what you posted is an idea, but like i said you are not 100% sure that those answers were completely right, so if someone wants to take a that for advice then is up to the individual. Other than that, wish you the best.
OMar

RyanVR

Yeah, i read some post where the person was saying that the navy believes the test has been "compromised". I wonder of that is true or not. Answays, you are also right about the total package. But the ASTB and the PFT, (and GPA) seem to be the primary things that YOU have control over (the references to a lesser degree) and so people tend to focus on them more.

Hey, are you going for OCC or PLC?
I'm trying for PLC- combined.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.