• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45A Gouge

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Any T-45A gouge out there? I'm on leave for the week before I start my move to K-rock and wouldn't mind some shtter reading material...or something to glance over while I lounge poolside.

I found the T-45C Natops online, but nothing for the A.

Any T-45A gouge out there? I'm on leave for the week before I start my move to K-rock and wouldn't mind some shtter reading material...or something to glance over while I lounge poolside.

I found the T-45C Natops online, but nothing for the A.

Do you know if you're going to be a C or A guy yet?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Not yet, just playing the odds. Aren't most Kingsvillers going Alphas? Or have things gotten more even?

Or... maybe there's some generic gouge material to look at that deals with both (i.e. course rules or whatnot).

Not yet, just playing the odds. Aren't most Kingsvillers going Alphas? Or have things gotten more even?

Or... maybe there's some generic gouge material to look at that deals with both (i.e. course rules or whatnot).

They do have studs flying Cs now in Kingsville. I wouldn't wast too much time studying course rules, they're pretty simple. I would recommend Chapter 4 of NATOPS, can't imagine there is much of a difference between the A and C. You could always review the AIM as well since your first flights are insturment hops. Wouldn't worry about it too much though as it's very easy to get burned out.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
The wing in Corpus has copies of the -45a natops you can check out. You might have to sweet talk the lady in book issue, but the Natops manuals are there.

skotc9

i would suggest not worrying about it. you're only going to have about five weeks of ground school.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't sweat it. I didn't pre-study one bit. With the length of ground school, etc, it's not required. I suggest drinking, because soon life is going to suck before it gets any better.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't sweat it. I didn't pre-study one bit. With the length of ground school, etc, it's not required. I suggest drinking, because soon life is going to suck before it gets any better.

Sorry for the blatant thread jack....but it seems that there isn't alot more to say and this comment brings it up.

As a guy thinking he wants to go to the boat, let's start a frank, no bs/party line discussion about the work/return ratio in the jet pipeline/fleet. I think there is no doubt where my heart lies in terms of pure flying...but I am married and old and have been in school for the last 20 years. To be blunt, I wonder about the sacrifices. There is also a serious deficit of educated opinions in Corpus as most dog the J1/J2 pipeline as too much work and up tight a$$es...a combination of jealousy, and ignorance no doubt.;) Frank opinions and stories encouraged...compare the workload to primary...power school for those in the know...etc...

Gouge a guy up. Thanks...

And mods...feel free to move...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As a guy thinking he wants to go to the boat, let's start a frank, no bs/party line discussion about the work/return ratio in the jet pipeline/fleet. I think there is no doubt where my heart lies in terms of pure flying...but I am married and old and have been in school for the last 20 years. To be blunt, I wonder about the sacrifices. There is also a serious deficit of educated opinions in Corpus as most dog the J1/J2 pipeline as too much work and up tight a$$es...a combination of jealousy, and ignorance no doubt.;) Frank opinions and stories encouraged...compare the workload to primary...power school for those in the know...etc...

I've talked to several of my friends who are at Kingsville and Meridian and they definately say that there is less of a tight a$$ atmosphere there, except for a few IPs. The biggest complaint from the Kingsville guys is that they generally are flying them non stop (last two years they weren't alowed leave for Christmas because they were flying a full sked for example). On the whole however, after they stopped sucking early on in the program, they really came to like it.

If you don't think you can handle anymore schooling you might want to consider a new line of work because the learning is not going to stop, no matter what community you find yourself in.

If your heart lies in jets then put j1/j2 on the selection sheet. Its not like its really your decision anyway. The Navy is going to send you where they want. If you don't at least put it down you may go through life wondering "what if".

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Sorry for the blatant thread jack....but it seems that there isn't alot more to say and this comment brings it up.

Gouge a guy up. Thanks...

And mods...feel free to move...
If you get off on always fighting to stay ahead of a jet at 400 knots, spending countless hours studying classified pubs, weapons, and tactics, taking the entire responsibility for a single-seat (pilot) aircraft, but getting to do things in an aircraft that very few others get to do and being at the pointy-end of the spear, then go jets.
There are natural pilots out there, but I've found that the best guys in our community are the guys who study religiously to know everything NOW, are self-motivators, have a huge desire to correct minor errors and not fail, and really thrive on knowing that they are doing something rare that not everyone (as your question implies) wants to or can do. If that sounds like the company you want to keep, go jets.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

First off, don't ever listen to a Primary instructor, who flew anything but jets, talk about jets. They don't know sh!t. End of story. Just like a jet guy talking to you about helos or maritime, they also won't know sh!t about that. You are correct, it's very tough in Primary to get a true picture about the jet OR the E-2/C-2 pipelines. The experience just isn't there. However, you're lucky. You live near Kingsville. That resource is available, as well as a phone call. I know guys that called E-2 and C-2 squadrons to ask what life was like before selection because we had no instructors that flew in those communities.

Like zippy said, the studying never stops. In fact, it gets worse (in a different respect though).

The rumors of tight-a$$es and jerks... not true. Every community will have tight-a$$es here or there, but the jet pipeline doesn't have any more than any other community. What some may confuse for being a tight-a$$ is the endless pursuit to be perfect. There is a reason for that, your life depends on it, literally. There is no slack at the boat, there is no slack flying in thick goo on your lead's wing, there certainly isn't any slack when they're shooting at you. Each community will focus its energy in a different area. Jet guys don't tend to be NATOPS nazis. We have more important stuff to worry about, like tactics and threats. No one gives a sh!t how many microns the oil filter seive is, or what an obscure pressure is in a fuel line that you can do nothing about. It. Doesn't. Matter.

Work/Return? Well, that depends what you want out of it. Like airgreg already said, if you want to be the pointy tip of the spear, employing weapons, having to know EVERYTHING from air-to-air, air-to-ground, tanking, recce, the boat, EVERYTHING, if that's for you, then jets is the way to go. Dropping LGB, rolling on on a dive bomb, shooting BVR and then fighting at the merge... you're not going to get that in any other community.

It's up to you in what you want. Every community has its perks and its downs. Yes, the jet pipeline SUCKS at first. It's painful. It's a long year in advanced and you will do more and have more expected of you than any of you counterparts in other communities before you wing. Make no mistake, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into when you select jets from Primary. It's eye opening.

Take it for what it's worth.