• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swordfish MPA...Should be interesting

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Looks a little small for ASW. Until buoys get markedly lighter, I think that’ll be a limfac for ASW aircraft...you gotta have enough carriage capacity for that search pattern.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well, it's good a good name.

giphy.gif

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Looks a little small for ASW. Until buoys get markedly lighter, I think that’ll be a limfac for ASW aircraft...you gotta have enough carriage capacity for that search pattern.

The Brits have been using buoys roughly a third the size of ours for decades. They actually had to design an adaptor for them to be fired from our rotaries when they bought the P-8. We havent adopted them because they are slightly more expensive. Dont know how ma y could fit in a glorified lear key tho. Side note- anyone interested in becoming founding partner of a contract ASW form featuring one of these bad boys? With two crews worth of patch wearers and one of these bad boys we could probably put the USN out of business...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Brits have been using buoys roughly a third the size of ours for decades. They actually had to design an adaptor for them to be fired from our rotaries when they bought the P-8. We havent adopted them because they are slightly more expensive. Dont know how ma y could fit in a glorified lear key tho. Side note- anyone interested in becoming founding partner of a contract ASW form featuring one of these bad boys? With two crews worth of patch wearers and one of these bad boys we could probably put the USN out of business...
I was going to say, the design form factor for buoys is from the 1950s. There's no reason they couldn't be reduced to 1/4 their current size today. I'm envisioning a concept like the ALE-47 expendables bucket.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I was going to say, the design form factor for buoys is from the 1950s. There's no reason they couldn't be reduced to 1/4 their current size today. I'm envisioning a concept like the ALE-47 expendables bucket.

Cant get them quite that small because of the sheer volume of "string" to get them to max depth. But they can (and have) been reduced to the size of a 3lbs coffee can.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Cant get them quite that small because of the sheer volume of "string" to get them to max depth. But they can (and have) been reduced to the size of a 3lbs coffee can.
I was thinking the same thing, picturing what a thousand feet of kite string sorta looks like for starters.

Spitballing here but another size limit has gotta be how to make a loud enough pinger in an active buoy, at least in the conventional sense of active sonar. Technical workarounds can overcome a lot but you're still working against basic physics.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1000 Ft of string

If I can get this at home depot for $15, I think DARPA could probably improve on it a bit. I could be way off on this, but I'm betting that if you look at the data of where ASW contact has historically been maintained, every buoy probably doesn't need to go to 1000 Ft.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Well string is a colloquialism, it's actual insanely thin copper filament connecting the VHF transmitter to the hydrophone/transducer via a one way depth modification device. DARPA could def do better, but last time they visited it wasnt even on the agenda.

And not every bouy will go to 1000', but every buoy needs to be capable of it. Just trust on that one.