• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

swo slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigs_34

does anyone know if the number of slots for swo applicants are tight or if my chances are good. I will be submitting my application in January for the BDCP program. Anyone know anything about this or have any words of advice/wisdom. It would be much appreciated.

Brooke

From what my recruiter told me, SWO doesn't have any slots open. I was going to put SWO as my third choice and he informed me they were closed. With that said, I'm not exactly sure how being in the BDCP may impact that. I turned in my package last month and have been out of college for a year.

Good luck and make sure to post anything you find out!!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They are always taking SWOs, it's just whether OCS has slots in that particular point in time. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...OCS is a stop-gap filler. Numbers change throughout a fiscal year.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, as i remember it, whoever doesn't make it in the field that they want usually end up in swo, unless you're calling my nrotc recruiter a liar~~
blindfold_125.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, what I'm saying is that OCS is meant to fill gaps that the academy and ROTC don't fill (SWO, Aviation, Restricted line, etc). So there may not be any spots in January, but in June, some can open up.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enishi,

I wouldn't necessarily call your NROTC recruiter a liar. However, I would definately say he may be uninformed. When I crossed over to the SWO world back in '99, the SWO community was taking just about anybody they could get their hands on, whether they be from aviation, nuke power, or OCS. This of course was in an effort to assure the SWO community that sufficient numbers of young Ensigns and LTJG's would stay around as department heads. Well, now they have plenty of bodies to fill that role. As a result, the SWO community can be more selective (finally) in accepting people into their community. Those people that do not make it through their initial training pipeline are NOT automatically filtered through the SWO community as they once were a few years back. There's no need. We have our numbers.

Oddly enough, it is becoming more and more competitive to become a SWO. People see that it is competitive to become a SWO, so more and more people put in applications for it...causing it's value to increase. Basic supply and demand.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for Gatordev....well, he's just a rotorhead, pissed off at the world he can't be a SWO. Oh, he'll give you sob stories about his 'crack pac' deployment, having to do this and that. Don't be fooled, though...all along he was wishing he was standing the Deck at 0300 while those airdales in the back were sleeping. Ahhhh, the life as a SWO.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i'm will agree with you on that steve. i remember when my rotc recruiter told me to come into his office, sat me down, and told me to choose a major right away. i was like WTFreak??? but he said that all college programmers need to choose a major their first semester of first year. though i had doubts, i chose a major, and now, i am in a community college.
censored_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.