• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO or RIO via National Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoRIO

I wanted to apply for SWO strictly through OCS, however I don't think I am competitive enough to even be considered by the committee. Besides that I would be looking at leaving nexy year. I need to do something now -- unemployed and bored with career choices at present. I have been informed I can apply with the MO National Guard under 91W (EMT certified by the time A-school is over) and leave this August. All I have to do is serve six months after school and then go to Pensacola. Is a transfer between branches extremely difficult? After all, I would look a better candidate if I have prior military, experience, medical training, etc.
Any help would be appreciated :icon_what

R

RickyDT34

I am kind of confused by your post. You need to include more information but in general you will be a better candidate with more experience, schooling, and military time.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
You think that the Nat'l Guard is going to let you go after investing money to train you? Make sure your recruiter isn't trying to fill a spot. Here in MD they need 91Ws pretty bad....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I assume the NG slot is enlisted. They have to let a reservist go for an active duty slot and they have to let an enlisted guy go for an officer slot. The NG has no choice in these cases. I did this once upon a time....

But I would not assume that because you are an enlisted NG guy that you will automatically be accepted for SWO or NFO. If not, you will have to finish your NG enlistment. Further, there is always the chance your NG unit will be called to active duty and you find yourself in Irag or Afghanistan. Your NG commitment does not stop the day you sign with the Navy, it stops when you go on active duty with the Navy.

There is no problem transferring from one service to the other. The NG will discharge you the day before you start with the Navy.

frcabot

This is incorrect. A transfer from Reserve to Active is not guaranteed, and a transfer from one branch to another is even harder. Your CO would have to sign a conditional release. My advice is this: if you want to be in the Navy, apply to the navy directly. The Army NG is a seperate service.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot is correct here. We are not talking a lateral transfer from one service to another, ie USAF O-3 to USN O-3. When the case is an enlisted guy bettering himself by going to OCS he will get the conditional release, whether another service or not. It is also more likely to get the conditonal release when going from weekend warrior to regular active duty. I have seen a dozen of these as a recruiter. HAL also brings up the very valid point of recall and discharge for OCS. Reread what he wrote there.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Hey, some of us are a little on the "crazy" side and actually like that life...wait a minute, I guess I mean alot on the crazy side.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I have to echo what Wink said hear if you want go navy then go into the navy. I would not advise you to try and get a spot by going into the guard and going in a round about way. The SWO community is really trying to get people who want to be in it. So if you are motivated enough that should go a long way. Oh and by the way not everyone who is a SWO hates life just 80% do. :icon_tong

Status
Not open for further replies.