• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO IP vs IP.

Sal189379

Generally, Are selections better for SWO-IP vs IP? My concern, not having an IT background I would not be competitive for IP. But, today I was informed that folks have been selected to IP with music education degrees, OCM.

Below are my stats:

Service: Active Duty NCC(IDW/AW), 12 years
OAR: 60, 7,7,7
School: Bellevue University BAS Security Management; 3.534 GPA
Graduate: In Progress, MAS Cybersecurity
LORs: 2-3, 1 O6, Senator Kirk (Rep) Appropriations committee
Interviews: One O5 (IP), and One O5 (Intel) (SWOs); all 10s, outstanding write ups.
Evals: EP, EP, EP, NOB, MP
Awards: 4 Flag LOCs, 1 NCOM, 3 NAMs, 1 MOVSM
Other: Lots of volunteer work throughout my career, Captain's Cup sporting events, various forms of fund raising and lots of mentoring.
Applying for: SWO-IW, SWO-IP, INTEL

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
Chief, selections %'s were definitely better for SWO-IP last board. SWO-IP had 12 applicants with 4 being selected. IP had 41 applicants with only 3 being selected. I have a Masters in Information Management and was selected from the last board. I highly doubt someone with a Bachelors in Music would even be considered competitive. I have closely monitored results from the last 5 boards and the vast majority of selectees have technical degrees and high GPA's. IP was the 2nd lowest selection %, only picking 7.5% of applicants. SWO-IW had the lowest selection %, only picking up 5% of applicants. Hope this helps.

exNavyOffRec

actually, I don't think it was music but could have been, but my NRD did have a guy with a degree similar to music or something picked, however he had 2 years of engineering or math before switching to some easy non tech degree.

Sal189379

Chief, selections %'s were definitely better for SWO-IP last board. SWO-IP had 12 applicants with 4 being selected. IP had 41 applicants with only 3 being selected. I have a Masters in Information Management and was selected from the last board. I highly doubt someone with a Bachelors in Music would even be considered competitive. I have closely monitored results from the last 5 boards and the vast majority of selectees have technical degrees and high GPA's. IP was the 2nd lowest selection %, only picking 7.5% of applicants. SWO-IW had the lowest selection %, only picking up 5% of applicants. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information! Where are you reviewing the selection %s? Those numbers aren't the best. I was considering SWO-IP just in the last couple days because the option seem to offer better numbers. I may have to rethink my options.

exNavyOffRec

In general when you look at the numbers Intel and IW get the most out of IDC, usually in the 40's each year give or take, SWO-IP, SWO-IW, and IP have tiny numbers and have seen them have zero'd at several times.

Your best shot is to go with Intel, IW, then pick one other.