• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Competitiveness

prestonaz

48, with a 3.4 GPA. Given the Navy's need for SWO right now, does anybody know if I should retake the OAR?

Cheers,
Preston

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
48, with a 3.4 GPA. Given the Navy's need for SWO right now, does anybody know if I should retake the OAR?

Cheers,
Preston

Welcome. Your answer can be easily found by searching the forums. There are previous SWO threads that can help.

You are an aspiring naval officer. Be one by taking the initiative and looking up the answer yourself.

SharkBait

Whats the minimum score to apply? Look through old OCS results and final selects and read what their scores were when they got selected. Ultimately it depends on needs of the Navy, number of applicants, etc. So to answer your question, your score might be competitive if you are above the minimum.

prestonaz

Welcome. Your answer can be easily found by searching the forums. There are previous SWO threads that can help.

You are an aspiring naval officer. Be one by taking the initiative and looking up the answer yourself.
Thanks for those words of inspiration. I did look up the answer prior to posting. It said a 50 with 3.4 as competitive in the “how competitive am I” link, but I wanted to know if there was an update on what was competitive this quarter because the fleet is expanding.

prestonaz

Whats the minimum score to apply? Look through old OCS results and final selects and read what their scores were when they got selected. Ultimately it depends on needs of the Navy, number of applicants, etc. So to answer your question, your score might be competitive if you are above the minimum.
Thank you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for those words of inspiration. I did look up the answer prior to posting. It said a 50 with 3.4 as competitive in the “how competitive am I” link, but I wanted to know if there was an update on what was competitive this quarter because the fleet is expanding.

The numbers for SWO are roughly the same as previous years - so no you’re not any more likely to get accepted simply because the navy is “expanding”.

exNavyOffRec

It's not so much as how I 'feel' and what my naval recruiter has told me.

I have heard recruiters say that for years, mainly about Pilots and SWO's, and there was no significant change in yearly quotas to back up the data, even now when the new annual quotas come out around January I wouldn't put much money on the quotas being significantly different.

I have heard recruiters say that for years, mainly about Pilots and SWO's, and there was no significant change in yearly quotas to back up the data, even now when the new annual quotas come out around January I wouldn't put much money on the quotas being significantly different.

There is a SWO shortage right now, but it's not for new P-SWO's. Instead the shortfalls are for second tour divos (2+ years in) and department head committing second tour+ division officers for the next batch of department heads (signers over the last 3 eligible year groups have been way under what they require).

It's being driven by the move of a ton of previously 1160 (unqualified first tour SWO) jobs to 1110 (second tour, fully qualified) jobs on LCS / MCM / CVN and the shift of a bunch of previously 'sea duty' post first tour jobs to a 'shore duty' orders slate (these are jobs that are not on ships, but are on commands that deploy with strike groups like DESRON).

The fleet is actually flush with 1160s (we've got move than 20 on my DDG when we're billeted for like 10-12) since they can no longer be sent to LCS / MCM / CVN.

exNavyOffRec

There is a SWO shortage right now, but it's not for new P-SWO's. Instead the shortfalls are for second tour divos (2+ years in) and department head committing second tour+ division officers for the next batch of department heads (signers over the last 3 eligible year groups have been way under what they require).

It's being driven by the move of a ton of previously 1160 (unqualified first tour SWO) jobs to 1110 (second tour, fully qualified) jobs on LCS / MCM / CVN and the shift of a bunch of previously 'sea duty' post first tour jobs to a 'shore duty' orders slate (these are jobs that are not on ships, but are on commands that deploy with strike groups like DESRON).

The fleet is actually flush with 1160s (we've got move than 20 on my DDG when we're billeted for like 10-12) since they can no longer be sent to LCS / MCM / CVN.

I have seen that before, I was one of many that took prospective NUPOC's on a tour, the small boy we visited was flush with young SWO's as well, so much so they had to put them in small enlisted berthing (after moving the E's out).

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

I have seen that before, I was one of many that took prospective NUPOC's on a tour, the small boy we visited was flush with young SWO's as well, so much so they had to put them in small enlisted berthing (after moving the E's out).

In your estimation, would you say the "overcrowding", for lack of a better word, is a sort of numbers game to maximize the number of SWOs who will likely stick around through the DH tours and beyond? Like get as many SWOs in, especially from NROTC and the academy, as is sustainable and hope a lot of those will stick around past 4-6 years? Seems like every SWO I've come across has told me the game is do your DIVO tours, spend some of the shore tour to figure out your next move, and either lateral transfer or get out. I'm curious if that's more of an exception or more of a norm.