• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 19 AUG 2019

BroskiOCS

Is it harder for a civilian to be get a Pro Rec-Y? I would imagine prior-military would be most desirable
You could argue that it is undesirable to have a prior as a commissioned officer. I do have alot of military and leadership experience to bring to the table; however, I've never been on a ship. I'm a Corpsman that has been with Marine units and in hospital settings. As far as shipboard knowledge and SWO duties, I'm right in line with any other civilian.

buffunicorn

Not at all. Especially for SWO I'm sort of surprised that they took so many priors. One of the biggest issues with the SWO community is short termers. People are doing their initial commitment then getting out. That's why the bonuses for Department Head are so high. They are having trouble keeping people in long enough to make higher rank. As you probably know....military retirement is for at least 20 years of service. In order to retire, a prior must complete at least 10 years as a commissioned officer. So I've been in 11 years which means ill end up doing 21 years before I can retire. 10 years as a commissioned officer will probably put me at O-4 when I retire. So it would seem to me that it would be more beneficial for civilians to be selected to increase the chances of a person committing to a full 20 years. Maybe the board has to choose a certain amount of priors? I'm not sure. Sorry....that was a crazy long post.
Super insightful! I've heard SWO has trouble retaining people, so that makes sense now. I just figured the Navy would have to spend less resources "training" a prior than a civilian. Do you know if there are many SWO females? There seem to be a few applying on this forum, but my OR didn't seem to have many around when he was AD SWO.

kbal731

Well the application process may be a little more difficult for priors depending on our resources. We are supposed to have knowledgeable Command Career Counselors at every command. Unfortunately, smaller commands often have CCC's that don't have experience with officer packages.

Out of curiosity is that because it is uncommon for enlisted to try to go to OCS, and they invest more attention on promoting senior enlisted leadership?

BroskiOCS

Super insightful! I've heard SWO has trouble retaining people, so that makes sense now. I just figured the Navy would have to spend less resources "training" a prior than a civilian. Do you know if there are many SWO females? There seem to be a few applying on this forum, but my OR didn't seem to have many around when he was AD SWO.
No not really because we all go through the same training pipeline (OCS, DIVO, etc.) The only real benefit for military taking priors is the experience they can bring to the table. I actually have NO idea about female SWO's.

BroskiOCS

Out of curiosity is that because it is uncommon for enlisted to try to go to OCS, and they invest more attention on promoting senior enlisted leadership?
No it's not uncommon. There are two reasons for the difference in competency levels of a Command Career Counselor (neither of which is their fault). 1) Smaller commands (like mine) means less applicants which means the CCC has never had to submit a package before. I am the only one at my command that has submitted an officer package. 2) CCC's at a smaller command usually have that assigned as a collateral duty which means that is just an extra duty in addition to their primary job. My CCC is SUPER busy all the time. When I was stationed at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, we had two CCC's that only did that as their job. Plus there were multiple Sailors a year submitting packages.

exNavyOffRec

No it's not uncommon. There are two reasons for the difference in competency levels of a Command Career Counselor (neither of which is their fault). 1) Smaller commands (like mine) means less applicants which means the CCC has never had to submit a package before. I am the only one at my command that has submitted an officer package. 2) CCC's at a smaller command usually have that assigned as a collateral duty which means that is just an extra duty in addition to their primary job. My CCC is SUPER busy all the time. When I was stationed at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, we had two CCC's that only did that as their job. Plus there were multiple Sailors a year submitting packages.

All my time at sea was at large commands, and the CCC's were not involved in the process for officer applications of any kind, it was handled by a designated officer by the CO.

exNavyOffRec

The retention problem is an odd thing, several times I had DIVO's who were getting ready to roll to shore duty after 4/5 years at sea to be told this is what we have, if you want it take it, otherwise leave, we already have enough in your YG staying.

The ones I have seen leave were leaving at the 6-8 year point, basically finished shore duty, probably finished their Master's degree and now looking for nice civilian job.

If you look at the numbers historically you have a better shot of being picked up as an applicant via a recruiter than via a command.

BroskiOCS

All my time at sea was at large commands, and the CCC's were not involved in the process for officer applications of any kind, it was handled by a designated officer by the CO.
Oh, really? Even better. I guess I just assumed they did the majority of the work. I remember my buddy's package had his CCC's signature on every page verifying them as original documents. I guess that's the extent of their involvement. Either way, it seems like a larger command has some better resources for putting a package together.

BroskiOCS

The retention problem is an odd thing, several times I had DIVO's who were getting ready to roll to shore duty after 4/5 years at sea to be told this is what we have, if you want it take it, otherwise leave, we already have enough in your YG staying.

The ones I have seen leave were leaving at the 6-8 year point, basically finished shore duty, probably finished their Master's degree and now looking for nice civilian job.

If you look at the numbers historically you have a better shot of being picked up as an applicant via a recruiter than via a command.
Yeah so I guess getting a prior isn't so bad for the Navy. I mean....they know they have me for at least 10.

exNavyOffRec

Oh, really? Even better. I guess I just assumed they did the majority of the work. I remember my buddy's package had his CCC's signature on every page verifying them as original documents. I guess that's the extent of their involvement. Either way, it seems like a larger command has some better resources for putting a package together.

It really is dependent on the CO and if he wants to have a point person for officer applications, however enlisted retention in a command is more important statistic than how many were selected for officer programs, so CCC's school is about retention.

BroskiOCS

It really is dependent on the CO and if he wants to have a point person for officer applications, however enlisted retention in a command is more important statistic than how many were selected for officer programs, so CCC's school is about retention.
Yeah I could definitely see how the focus is on enlisted retention. I mean....there are countless programs out there which can be considered a retention tool. Career development boards, mentorship programs, incentives (GI Bill transferability guidelines, reenlistment bonus, etc.). I believe my buddy had to go through the XO to schedule his interviews. It was at a large naval hospital and he was going for MECP so it worked out in his favor. He had 4 or 5 RN board members in one interview. I had to search everywhere for my interviewers and ended up getting in my dress whites for 4 separate interviews. Pain in the ass. But I would have to think that X number of enlisted Sailors being accepted into a commissioning program looks good on a CO's evaluation. At the VERY least it looks great for the Senior Enlisted Advisor.

exNavyOffRec

But I would have to think that X number of enlisted Sailors being accepted into a commissioning program looks good on a CO's evaluation. At the VERY least it looks great for the Senior Enlisted Advisor.
you would think, but nope, all about completing the mission and retention, well and not getting fired.....

jwarren4

First time applicant. Been working on my packet since early January. Extremely anxious about selection as I have heard mixed things about the selection rate and my odds, but also excited to take part.

I also heard this morning from my recruiter that the board had been pushed to the 26th

jwarren4

I don't believe my packet is the most competitive which does worry me but I have heard they have lowered the minimums for SWO and have also been taking a much higher rate than in previous years due to high demand so I am hoping for the best.

OAR: 46
GPA: 3.43 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
LOR: Former Supervisor (All having prior military
Experience: 2 years Wildlife Management, 1 year Aerospace Manufacturing