• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching Pipelines while in Flight School

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It can be done, but it's almost impossible. Accept your fate and embrace your future.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Needs of the Navy, shipmate. If the Navy needs to move a body from one pipeline to the other (say, a bunch of cones have attrited out of one pipeline and CNATRA over-accessed another), it could happen.

The odds that your desires and the Navy's needs will exactly line up at the right time...yeah, what ea6b said. Helos ain't so bad.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Needs of the Navy, shipmate. If the Navy needs to move a body from one pipeline to the other (say, a bunch of cones have attrited out of one pipeline and CNATRA over-accessed another), it could happen.

The odds that your desires and the Navy's needs will exactly line up at the right time...yeah, what ea6b said. Helos ain't so bad.

helos are great!.station pilot for 2 tours .flew helos...S2's, U11....(piper aztec-fun).... ......and....I ended up flying P3's in the resereves for 5 years....so It was a great flying adventure....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I saw it happen immediately after primary selection....ie one guy wanted helos and got P-3, the other wanted P-3 and wanted helos, both were buds and got it worked out. But I never saw anyone go from Helo/P-3/E-6 to jets in the tracom if that is what you are looking for. And I also never saw such a thing once said intermediate/advanced training had begun.

rotorhead1871

pilot
I saw it happen immediately after primary selection....ie one guy wanted helos and got P-3, the other wanted P-3 and wanted helos, both were buds and got it worked out. But I never saw anyone go from Helo/P-3/E-6 to jets in the tracom if that is what you are looking for. And I also never saw such a thing once said intermediate/advanced training had begun.

agree....I just fell into the opportunity as the local VP reserve unit was looking for pilots, and NAS whidbey was an A6 base. Actually we had quite a few A6 drivers that transitioned to the P3.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The last Station SAR job to have FW is Pax River. That being said, helo bubba friend of mine turned his ME time there into an ATP and then an offer in the bigs - and who's gonna say no to Hank?

rotorhead1871

pilot
The last Station SAR job to have FW is Pax River. That being said, helo bubba friend of mine turned his ME time there into an ATP and then an offer in the bigs - and who's gonna say no to Hank?

exactly...you get to fly a lot more type A/C at a station...good for him...funny thing was....we helo guys got a no problem pass getting into the S2 or the small utilitities, that were still multi engine. we had the U11, which was a piper aztec... and china lake guys had the U3. which was newer...and was a cessna 310. while our ops boss would not let the the fixed wing guys fly the helos as they had no prior experience. while at lemoore, I got to know the guys in the RAG and they had a T28!!.....which I grabbed as many hours as I could. the whole world of flying was a blast, while I stayed as far away from the admin desk jobs as I could.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
exactly...you get to fly a lot more type A/C at a station...

Not the case anymore, I don't think. All the station SAR teams are 60s if I'm not mistaken (I think there were Hueys at China Lake until a few years ago maybe?) and I doubt there's much of any opportunity to get fixed wing time at any of them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not the case anymore, I don't think. All the station SAR teams are 60s if I'm not mistaken (I think there were Hueys at China Lake until a few years ago maybe?) and I doubt there's much of any opportunity to get fixed wing time at any of them.

Yeah, but he had a fun time flying during his career [insert non-sequitur #1], [insert non-sequitur #2], etc, etc. :D

rotorhead1871

pilot

that is a bummer.....while at Lemoore as we used to support the active squadrons at Fallon, North Island and Alameda...we would run parts and personnel as the squadrons needed it....plus our SAR training....

oh well...times do change...make the best out of it and enjoy the ride....

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Set the radalt to 20', fly low and shoot rockets, missiles, and machineguns...Do present position takeoffs everywhere...Hover n' shit...Go land in some moondust and scare the shit out of yourself, then pick up some grungy dudes who look pretty fucking happy to see you...Life is gonna be pretty ok man. Helos are rad and everything is gonna be swellsies.

P.S.: You want a Type II Bomb on Coordinate button push, or a Type III rocket rodeo?