• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS SWA 737 Engine Failure - Diverts to PNS

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I heard this little 30-second song a couple years back that has stuck with me since. It plays in my head all the time when I read articles like this. May it henceforth be your ohrwurm in times of "Nope."

...but to remain topical, bravo to the crew for getting it back on deck safely. Handling an actual emergency with nobody on board except for your trained crew is crazy enough to think about, but doing so with a plane full of terrified, shrieking passengers...

RiseR 25

Do the airlines do Engineering Investigations like the Navy? Or is that an NTSB function? I'm certain they will be searching for the missing pieces.

Since Southwest doesn't have a certification/engineering division that is directly overseen by the FAA, whichever companies involved (engine overhauler, airline) would be expected to directly cooperate with the NTSB. I can't speak for any inspectors, investigators that may be doing certificate management or already in oversight functions of those MROs.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Talk about a busy airspace to have to bring that emergency into. High fives all around, the system works.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're use to dealing with students and Solo's every day... Having a competent crew must have been a nice change for the controller.
Wonder how many instrument student helmet fires were started by having an actual emergency aircraft in the airspace.

Pensacola Approach: "Red Knight 303, discontinue approach, turn left heading 090 . . ."

Stud, to self: "This isn't what I chairflew last night! AHHH!"

IP: *sighs* "I have the controls . . ."

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Wonder how many instrument student helmet fires were started by having an actual emergency aircraft in the airspace.

Pensacola Approach: "Red Knight 303, discontinue approach, turn left heading 090 . . ."

Probably none at 9 am on a Saturday. VT instructors don't get up that early on the weekend. At least I never did.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I came into Barin one morning on a PEL (from 9.5K right on top...it was a good leg workout to get back down) with a little smoke coming out of the engine compartment and also getting fumes in the cockpit. It didn't make sense to hit High Key and I instead entered at the crosswind. Of course right as that happened, RK303 SOLO called the initial. RDO gave him a discontinue approach call, which the solo immediately rogered up to...and then proceeded to continue right through the break pattern. After a quick chastising of the solo (Hey, you need to get out of there. Go away!), order was restored and I made an uneventful landing.

Naturally once we were shutdown and back inside the air conditioning, I asked the RDO the most important question: did I still sound calm and cool on the radio?

RDO: "Oh yeah, you were good to go."

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I came into Barin one morning on a PEL (from 9.5K right on top...it was a good leg workout to get back down) with a little smoke coming out of the engine compartment and also getting fumes in the cockpit. It didn't make sense to hit High Key and I instead entered at the crosswind. Of course right as that happened, RK303 SOLO called the initial. RDO gave him a discontinue approach call, which the solo immediately rogered up to...and then proceeded to continue right through the break pattern. After a quick chastising of the solo (Hey, you need to get out of there. Go away!), order was restored and I made an uneventful landing.

Naturally once we were shutdown and back inside the ai rconditioning, I asked the RDO the most important question: did I still sound calm and cool on the radio?

RDO: "Oh yeah, you were good to go."

Mission accomplished.
I had that glorious callsign on my Fam solo one morning some 11 years ago. That was the T-34 that decided it would be great to have the seat latch fail halfway between the initial and the numbers back at homefield. Clunk. Self, why am I staring between my knees at the HSI? Shit.

I ended up deltaing and doing some weird squat thing to get the seat back into position. Some smartass AF IP in the line shack afterwards asked me why I didn't just roll inverted. :)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Speaking of the Red Knights, I assume they do not stock the politically incorrect "The Best Knight You Ever Had" squadron T-shirts? Certainly much better than the Do'er Bird or Shooter shirts back in the day.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had that glorious callsign on my Fam solo one morning some 11 years ago. That was the T-34 that decided it would be great to have the seat latch fail halfway between the initial and the numbers back at homefield. Clunk. Self, why am I staring between my knees at the HSI? Shit.

I ended up deltaing and doing some weird squat thing to get the seat back into position. Some smartass AF IP in the line shack afterwards asked me why I didn't just roll inverted. :)

I can't truly tell you if that was his callsign, but why give up the chance to make fun of the Red Knights. More times than not, eye-rolling was a result of a RK.

(But seriously, I think it was a RK.)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I can't truly tell you if that was his callsign, but why give up the chance to make fun of the Red Knights. More times than not, eye-rolling was a result of a RK.

(But seriously, I think it was a RK.)
Still a thing in 2016. Blame the zoomies.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That's because we were flying whilst the rest of you douche nozzles were running scared from the clouds...