• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supreme Court to review Stolen Valor Act

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Lying for financial gain is already covered under fraud statutes. I could see Stolen Valor being changed to make the penalties for doing so WRT military honors more severe, but that's about it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the story's points have already been covered in this thread, but don't let that hinder a lively debate. ;)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Agreed that the points have been covered in this thread....I just liked the way the article arranged said points for easy recall when dealing with someone who might not understand and thought others here might find use for it like I did.

Renegade One

None
Bottom line: Don't sweat it needlessly...take it as a compliment. More people wanna be like you than you wanna be like them. The most egregious always get unmasked...and the public has been made more aware. Probably a pony in that pile of horseshit somewhere.
Straighten up and fly right!

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
This is one of those times when the "right" thing and the "legal" thing might not coincide.

It's not illegal to lie, unless it's done in order to defraud, done in court under oath, etc. It doesn't matter whether it's an ugly and disgusting lie, such as falsely claiming one's a Medal of Honor recipient.

I can see the court limiting the Stolen Valor Act to those cases where financial gain or the like is in question, e.g. falsely claiming veteran status while applying for a job, but I think they might reject those portions of the law pertaining to just run-of-the-mill jackasses wearing uniforms they aren't entitled to.

I know we're all about how special we are as veterans, but to put this in the court's perspective, should it be illegal to dress up in the uniform of another profession in general or say you do something you don't? There are a lot of "lawyers" and "doctors" at nightclubs who would end up in jail. It's not illegal to dress up as a cop, unless you start trying to make traffic stops on your own, e.g. use the uniform in an official capacity on a false basis.

Only fools believe that sort of falsehood without checking out the person's knowledge, philosophy and characteristics. Such stupid hoochie sorts don't know what the Medal of Honor is anyway. Really, guys in bars will say anything...

Probably, the Court can't uphold a special law for valor--imagine how hard something like that would be to police or prosecute.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only fools believe that sort of falsehood without checking out the person's knowledge, philosophy and characteristics. Such stupid hoochie sorts don't know what the Medal of Honor is anyway. Really, guys in bars will say anything...

Probably, the Court can't uphold a special law for valor--imagine how hard something like that would be to police or prosecute.

Kinda like immigration or counterfeiting. Wait, there are laws about that...and they have task forces to enforce
them.

So are you saying we should turn a blind eye to stolen valor and just ignore it?

-ea6bflyr ;)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Maybe use existing statutes to prosecute fraud. I dunno, make it an aggravating circumstance and tack on some extra fines/jail time. But you can't criminalize the speech itself.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, Fraud is Fraud...and it needs to be treated as such.

-ea6bflyr ;)

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Update:

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2012/09/military-stolen-valor-bill-approved-by-house-091112w/

This bill will allow prosecution on people lying about having military medals they haven't earned if they use it for profit.

Quote from the article :

"The legislation would apply to specific awards, and would apply to anyone who lies about their receipt of such awards with the intent of obtaining money, property or some other tangible benefit.

Covered under the bill would be the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart. Also covered would be campaign badges, including the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, the Combat Action Badge, the Combat Medical Badge, Combat Action Ribbon and Combat Action Medal."

KBayDog

"The legislation would apply to specific awards, and would apply to anyone who lies about their receipt of such awards with the intent of obtaining money, property or some other tangible benefit.

Covered under the bill would be the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart. Also covered would be campaign badges, including the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, the Combat Action Badge, the Combat Medical Badge, Combat Action Ribbon and Combat Action Medal."

Sweet - I can still profit from NDSM and GWOT medals. :D