• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Super Hornets and External Tanks.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Read today that you Navy grey pointy nose jet types are losing external/CL tanks as the norm and flying clean and that the net net performance is a wash.

The aero nerd in me is curious. Is this the norm or becoming the norm? And can someone explain to me why it’s more or less equal? The drag I get but wondering about endurance.

Thank you from a GA CFI and Helo dude who never flew a pointy nose jet!

I am not a hornet guy nor do I claim to know the exact details however I would imagine it has to do with "energy-maneuverability theory".

specific excess energy is proportional to the ratio of net motive forces compared to the weight of the plane and proportional to speed.

Less fuel to carry aloft means less fuel needed to carry it.

rymo96

Read today that you Navy grey pointy nose jet types are losing external/CL tanks as the norm and flying clean and that the net net performance is a wash.

The aero nerd in me is curious. Is this the norm or becoming the norm? And can someone explain to me why it’s more or less equal? The drag I get but wondering about endurance.

Where did you read it?

A Day In The Life

pilot

Not true

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot

Completely slick is awesome for BFM training with the reduced drag, but the norm is and will continue to be a single centerline tank. Whoever published that and said it is currently becoming the norm is wrong.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What are we calling them? Block IIIs? Advanced Super Hornet? Super Duper Hornet?

Serious question though, Depot level mod? And how's that gonna square against an already in demand/overworked fleet?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have a sneaking feeling "clean" is being confused with "with CFTs" here.
That's what I was going to ask...if someone said "soon when CFT hits the fleet we won't need tanks anymore. And the performance Delta between a hornet with tanks and a hornet with CFT is negligible" and then it became "no tanks in the future and there's no performance Delta."

Plus it does seem like Chuck reads a lot of BD articles that masquerade as accurate news.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those CFTs look really strange....
518advancedsuperhornet5.jpg