• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of NFO flight school

willwash

None
If you want to sound extra cool like the fighter guys speak in the future tense about the stuff that happened in the past, ie, the flight you just flew

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If you want to sound extra cool like the fighter guys speak in the future tense about the stuff that happened in the past, ie, the flight you just flew

I have wondered about this for YEARS, even though I accepted and adopted the practice myself while debriefing as a fighter pilot. But yeah, it's pretty goofy.

Anyone know where it came from?

willwash

None
I have wondered about this for YEARS, even though I accepted and adopted the practice myself while debriefing as a fighter pilot. But yeah, it's pretty goofy.

Anyone know where it came from?
My first mission brief/ debrief as an E-2 NFO with the fighter guys I was left alone and unafraid by my squadron. I was wholly unprepared for the experience. The first time as an outsider when you see the lucky junior pilot who gets to recite his OCF recovery procedures to the briefing room, you know you have entered a fundamentally different world. The future tense stuff in the debrief just seems to be part of the same package. It’s goofy but you guys make it sound cool.

Just a lot of “isms” in the fighter community.

What got me most was how long it all takes. Gotta maximize the training value of every precious flight hour I guess, but a 2 hour brief followed by a 3 hour debrief, then afte Screwtop leaves I guess you debrief more, for a 20 minute 2 v 4 SES, it just seems…a lot

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
My first mission brief/ debrief as an E-2 NFO with the fighter guys I was left alone and unafraid by my squadron. I was wholly unprepared for the experience. The first time as an outsider when you see the lucky junior pilot who gets to recite his OCF recovery procedures to the briefing room, you know you have entered a fundamentally different world. The future tense stuff in the debrief just seems to be part of the same package. It’s goofy but you guys make it sound cool.

What got me most was how long it all takes. Gotta maximize the training value of every precious flight hour I guess, but a 2 hour brief followed by a 3 hour debrief, then afte Screwtop leaves I guess you debrief more, for a 20 minute 2 v 4 SES, it just seems…a lot

It is a lot, and I frequently thought we went beyond the realm of "diminishing returns" in the fighter world, with regard to normal human attentiveness. Debriefing is a skill, and keeping it brief and effective is a harder skill.

Pianistwithwings

Grumpy Cat
None

Still less than a 14 hour flight and 3 hours and 59 minutes of maintenance after landing.