• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions for improving 1 1/2 mile time

CalPolyPilot

I scored well in the sit ups (98 in 2 min) and push ups (71 1:10 min, then my legs gave out cause my quads were tired from sit ups lol) categories; however, I ran the 1 1/2 mile in 10:20. I did pass so I'm not going to take it over again; but, I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on improving my distance running so if I do get selected I can do well in OCS. I play soccer (goalkeeper, this explains my lack of speed in terms of long distance) for Cal Poly's Club team and the morning of my PRT I had practice. So that could have had something to do with it. Anyways, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I scored well in the sit ups (98 in 2 min) and push ups (71 1:10 min, then my legs gave out cause my quads were tired from sit ups lol)
Are you kidding me!:D First of all, gimme 10 for the hell of it.

Second of all, if you are asking for advice on how to improve your distance running, so you can do well in OCS, you A: Did not do a search and B: Are not yet aware of www.Google.com GOOG if you are into stocks. Run faster and run longer. That is all.

Lonestar155

is good to go
To improve on anything that is not even that tough, open a can of man juice and pound it.
Try to sprint a lap at or around 1:20+5 seconds. Stop rest a few seconds, do situps to work on that pathetic 98 situps. Do another lap and continue to do so for about 6 laps. Next day do a 3 mi run. Should be go to go in no time, but in all seriousness you need to push yourself!

CalPolyPilot

I did do a search and found some info; however, the info. was limited. So the purpose of my post was to hopefully get some insight from someone who had a specific workout method or approach that they used to improve. If I would have known I was going to be ripped a new one for asking a rather simple, but reasonable question, I never would have posted. (By the way, I'm not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but 100 was the max sit-ups you can get and well you do the math 100-98=? and max push-up for my category (20-24) is 87: 71= excellent-low)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
If I would have known I was going to be ripped a new one for asking a rather simple, but reasonable question, I never would have posted.

Welcome to airwarriors. If you were looking for a pleasant expierience, go to Baseops.net. They'll give you cupcakes!

CalPolyPilot

Its not that I didn't expect sarcastic, smart-ass remarks, I was just hoping for different answers if you can see my point.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I did do a search and found some info; however, the info. was limited. So the purpose of my post was to hopefully get some insight from someone who had a specific workout method or approach that they used to improve. If I would have known I was going to be ripped a new one for asking a rather simple, but reasonable question, I never would have posted. (By the way, I'm not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but 100 was the max sit-ups you can get and well you do the math 100-98=? and max push-up for my category (20-24) is 87: 71= excellent-low)
105 is the max for you.

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...s/06-100 General Physical Fitness/6110.1H.pdf

Welcome to airwarriors. If you were looking for a pleasant expierience, go to Baseops.net. They'll give you cupcakes!
PS- Here is a cupcake......Cupcake.:D

cupcake_kitty.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Look, I'm in the same boat as you; that is, I can do an excellent-low on the PU/CU, but I cannot run for the life of me.

The best advice you got was "suck it up and do it." 1.5 mi in under 12:00 is not difficult. I got out of the routine of running due to the holidays, then I had the PRT sprung on me with a week and a half notice and I was able to pull together and get through it. How? Run more, run faster. That's it. I ran twice a day at my goal pace for 3 days even though my legs were sore as a mother (admittedly, I couldn't do 1.5 mi straight right away), took a rest day, ran once a day for 3 days, rest a day, run PRT.

The good news is that the DIs won't subtract time from the run the way they will subtract PU/CU just because they can.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Its not that I didn't expect sarcastic, smart-ass remarks, I was just hoping for different answers if you can see my point.

Heh...

Words re: running
And in all seriousness, as far as running goes, just go out and pound the dirt. I alternate sprints/2-3 miles hard pace mon-thurs, and slow 5-6 on friday, rest sat/sun. When I'm actually working out that is...

And secondly, don't go to fvcking soccer practice right before a PRT...

xgrafcorex

one thing i did was to do the run first. i have to admit that i was very out of shape before i started working out in preparation for the PRT. the first time i met up with the recruiter to give it a go, i didn't pass. :( that time, i did the sit-ups, then push-ups, and finally the run. i was a bit worn out and didn't have the energy for the run. next time, i did the run first and passed the test just fine.

i know you already passed it..but in the future, maybe try rearranging the order?

right now i'm working out still, as i'm waiting for my final select letter/date. then i have to take a second PRT including the swimming test. after that i get to swear in!

as others have said..just keep working at it. running is my weakest area, but the more i keep at it, the easier it gets. ...too bad i didn't work out at all and drank lots of heavy beer for a while during and after college. :rolleyes:

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
right now i'm working out still, as i'm waiting for my final select letter/date. then i have to take a second PRT including the swimming test. after that i get to swear in!

You have to take the swimming test? i thought you get to choose between swimming and running, but don't need to take both! :confused:

xgrafcorex

from what i was told..i get my final select letter and date, then i take a second PRT including: 1.5 mile run, 2 min. of push-ups, 2 min. of sit-ups, 500 yard swim, and 5 min. of treading water. after completing that, i get sworn in. finally, i have to take some online exam/evaluation thing. i don't know too many details about the online exam..it's not the ASTB, i passed that before taking the PRT or going through the glorious MEPS! ha that was fun..

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much what Bubba said. Sprints will increase your speed. If you run more than 1.5 miles, that will increase your endurance. I suggest 3 miles minimum each run. It should take less than 1/2 hour. After a bit, running should take less effort and you'll run faster as you're better conditioned.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
The best advice for improving running time that has helped me on AW is simple: straight out balls-to-the-walls sprinting as for as long and as hard as you can. You can tip toe through the tulips for 7 miles and it still won't help your 1.5mi. time. On the other hand, if you run as fast as you can until you can't take another step you will shock your lungs and muscles into building up tolerance to pick up time on any interval. Be aware of your body's limits and don't shin splint yourself or tear a muscle. This has worked for me, and is still helping.
Good Luck!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
from what i was told..i get my final select letter and date, then i take a second PRT including: 1.5 mile run, 2 min. of push-ups, 2 min. of sit-ups, 500 yard swim, and 5 min. of treading water. after completing that, i get sworn in. finally, i have to take some online exam/evaluation thing. i don't know too many details about the online exam..it's not the ASTB, i passed that before taking the PRT or going through the glorious MEPS! ha that was fun..

Someone screwed up somewhere. The 500 yard swim is not required for commissioning, let alone for entry to OCS. The swim qual required at OCS is:
-Swim 50 meters using any stroke
-Tread for 5 minutes
-Jump off a 15 foot platform
-"Drown proofing," which they teach you there.

You can do the swim as an OPTION once you are commissioned, but afaik for the in-PRT at OCS you will be running. So you only have to run OR swim.

The best advice for improving running time that has helped me on AW is simple: straight out balls-to-the-walls sprinting as for as long and as hard as you can. You can tip toe through the tulips for 7 miles and it still won't help your 1.5mi. time. On the other hand, if you run as fast as you can until you can't take another step you will shock your lungs and muscles into building up tolerance to pick up time on any interval. Be aware of your body's limits and don't shin splint yourself or tear a muscle. This has worked for me, and is still helping.
Good Luck!
Exactly. 1.5 mi is relatively short. While it's no 100 m dash, it's not a marathon, either. Grit your teeth and kick. If you've already got the endurance to run 2 mi, then just focus on speed. This is something that a treadmill can actually help with, as far as getting your body "timed" to the higher pace.