• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
Hi everyone. First let me say, I have searched the form and have not seen something addressing this question. Additionally, I have asked my recruiter and also the flight surgeon I saw and haven't gotten a direct or concise answer. Thanks for taking the time to read.

I am an SNFO OCS applicant (11 July 2017 board) and have already taken my flight physical (NAS JAX). I am approved by everything (vision, etc) to be a SNFO... pending the approval of some medical paperwork that I am supposed to email to the flight surgeon I saw so he can pass it up to NAMI. This paperwork is for a pneumomediastinum I had in 2013 and was hospitalized (1 night) for. It is no longer an issue and hasn't been in years.

My question is: Why does this have to be submitted if it isn't something listed or mentioned in the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide?
Can I be NPQ'd by this even though it is not listed? And on that note, is it possible for me to get a waiver since it isn't listed?
Lastly, am I submitting it because I ALREADY need a waiver, or to see if I need to get a waiver?

Very Respectfully,
Demi

Renegade One

None
I guess the short answer is "because the Flight Surgeon said to do it." Not sure about the follow-on questions, but any history of pulmonary issues is nothing to sneeze at (no pun intended) for aviation personnel.

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
I guess the short answer is "because the Flight Surgeon said to do it." Not sure about the follow-on questions, but any history of pulmonary issues is nothing to sneeze at (no pun intended) for aviation personnel.

Haha yes, that's the truth. Reminds me of my dad- "Because I said so." Was just hoping to get some insight into this. Thanks for your time!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's NAMI. I had to submit a current CBC for an idiopathic blood disease That I got when I was 5 and for which I had been asymptomatic for 15 years. My 2 year old CBC wasn't good enough. It's docs being paranoid so just do what they ask, shake your head and move on. Should be fine assuming the waiver guide says it is.

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
It's NAMI. I had to submit a current CBC for an idiopathic blood disease That I got when I was 5 and for which I had been asymptomatic for 15 years. My 2 year old CBC wasn't good enough. It's docs being paranoid so just do what they ask, shake your head and move on. Should be fine assuming the waiver guide says it is.

Fair enough. Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone. First let me say, I have searched the form and have not seen something addressing this question. Additionally, I have asked my recruiter and also the flight surgeon I saw and haven't gotten a direct or concise answer. Thanks for taking the time to read.

I am an SNFO OCS applicant (11 July 2017 board) and have already taken my flight physical (NAS JAX). I am approved by everything (vision, etc) to be a SNFO... pending the approval of some medical paperwork that I am supposed to email to the flight surgeon I saw so he can pass it up to NAMI. This paperwork is for a pneumomediastinum I had in 2013 and was hospitalized (1 night) for. It is no longer an issue and hasn't been in years.

My question is: Why does this have to be submitted if it isn't something listed or mentioned in the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide?
Can I be NPQ'd by this even though it is not listed? And on that note, is it possible for me to get a waiver since it isn't listed?
Lastly, am I submitting it because I ALREADY need a waiver, or to see if I need to get a waiver?

Very Respectfully,
Demi

On your pneumomediastinum I would be prepared for them to ask what caused it, often one thing leads to another.

not everything is listed, and anything that isn't listed falls underneath "any other medical conditions" and yes you can be NPQ for something that isn't listed, many items have a tag on them that go "or history of", that means if you had the issue just once you are done, game over. I have had several applicants PDQ for medical issues that were a one time thing that never again affected them.

This process could take days or months before you find out if you are NPQ or if you can actually go to a board.

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
On your pneumomediastinum I would be prepared for them to ask what caused it, often one thing leads to another.

not everything is listed, and anything that isn't listed falls underneath "any other medical conditions" and yes you can be NPQ for something that isn't listed, many items have a tag on them that go "or history of", that means if you had the issue just once you are done, game over. I have had several applicants PDQ for medical issues that were a one time thing that never again affected them.

This process could take days or months before you find out if you are NPQ or if you can actually go to a board.

Thank you sir for so fully replying to my question. If I am NPQd for it, could I still have a chance to waiver it even though it's not in the book and thus has no specific waiver guidelines?

Additionally, my packet has already been submitted to the 11 July board- I was told by my recruiter if I am NPQd after being pro-rec'd by the board, I would just have to basically start all over again by applying to another board etc, unless I get NPQd while at OCS in which case I will be redesginated.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you sir for so fully replying to my question. If I am NPQd for it, could I still have a chance to waiver it even though it's not in the book and thus has no specific waiver guidelines?

Additionally, my packet has already been submitted to the 11 July board- I was told by my recruiter if I am NPQd after being pro-rec'd by the board, I would just have to basically start all over again by applying to another board etc, unless I get NPQd while at OCS in which case I will be redesginated.

NRC is supposed to require a cleared PQ physical letter before sending to board, their QA check should prevent any application going to board without a completed file.

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
NRC is supposed to require a cleared PQ physical letter before sending to board, their QA check should prevent any application going to board without a completed file.

I have a PQ letter from MEPS, if that qualifies. I'm the first person at my recruiting office to get a flight physical before OCS, so I'm assuming they obviously haven't sent NAMI PQ letters in with a packet before and haven't had issue...I hope.

exNavyOffRec

I have a PQ letter from MEPS, if that qualifies. I'm the first person at my recruiting office to get a flight physical before OCS, so I'm assuming they obviously haven't sent NAMI PQ letters in with a packet before and haven't had issue...I hope.

you should be good for the board then. I would study for the ASTB given what your scores are though.

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
you should be good for the board then. I would study for the ASTB given what your scores are though.

Yep, that's what I'm working on now. All jokes aside I've been playing a lot of video games with an inverted axis since I took the test the first time and I think it will help a significant amount (in addition to studying). Hoping my GPA will help balance it out a bit regardless since a lot of the GPAs I've seen applying are very low 3's and a lot in the 2's.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yep, that's what I'm working on now. All jokes aside I've been playing a lot of video games with an inverted axis since I took the test the first time and I think it will help a significant amount (in addition to studying). Hoping my GPA will help balance it out a bit regardless since a lot of the GPAs I've seen applying are very low 3's and a lot in the 2's.

I've seen low GPA / high ASTB get in and high GPA / min ASTB scores not. The ASTB is the biggest piece of the puzzle, the test is meant to be an indicator of your potential to make it through flight school. Boards don't care about the LORs, they want to select high ASTB scores because its indicative of someone who has high potential to make it through.