• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Submarine to Aviation Lat transfer...

sub2pilot

Hello all,

I am a YG03, submarine qualified LT, interested in laterally transferring to aviation. I was always interested in becoming a Navy pilot, that was the reason I originally signed up for the Navy but when it came time to choose, I prayed a lot about my decision, and decided on submarines and haven't regretted that at all. I learned a lot, got to have some amazing experiences, and matured quite a bit along the way. However, I got into some trouble and now have a NJP on my record--though I did get retained by the Navy. I've read all the lat transfer messages, letters to the board for the last two boards, and I am well aware that being YG03 puts me at a significant, possibly insurmountable, disadvantage. I made a mistake and I'm just trying to get a second chance to continue serving through the Aviation community. So my question is, what, if anything, can I do to help my chances for lateral transfer selection nov 2009? Or am I asking the impossible (NJP, LT w/ 6 years, starting over)? I would even be willing to be re-commissioned as a LTJG or even an ENS if it would help, but there are zero programs out there to do that within the Navy. If I transferred to Air Force or Coast Guard it might be feasible and help me, but unfortunately I don't know of any way to make that work within the Navy. Thanks for the advice everyone.

(I've also looked into resigning and signing back up but in a wierd Catch 22 situation, I'd still owe a couple years of reserve time, which is only waived if you return to Active Duty, which I don't want to/can't return to the sub community, but somehow that still blocks me from rejoining. This was talking with a Reserve recruiter where I'm at now.....if you know this to be wrong please let me know.)

MasterBates

I'm a YG02 guy who was a Helo to E2 transition and I am really dicey on making LCDR and DH and I am already at the RAG.

Unless you can get picked up, thru IFS/Primary/Advanced in the next year (not happening) you are probably in between a rock and a hard place.

sub2pilot

I talked with the Aviation OCM a while back and we discussed the issue of career timing, specifically making LCDR/CDR and DH/Command and how being selected would make it very difficult for me to continue. Also, there is no way to adjust YG's since allowing that would invite a flood of requests every time someone didn't get promoted. I wish there was some way to adjust YG's/rank, especially during a lat transfer but I don't know of any. I want to continue serving, and I want to be a pilot, and I would do it still even knowing my long term career prospects would be extremely stunted for three reasons, first I want to continue serving and do something I"ll enjoy (I've always wanted to fly, took lessons before but didn't finish, I was in HS and ran out of money, and time), second I want to be a pilot, and third times can change, so while my career would probably be stunted at best right now, you never know what will happen ten years from now. (I've thought about putting this realization and my acceptance of it in my package....any advice?)

Anyone out there ever serve on a lat transfer board, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Bevo16

pilot
Three words for you:

"Blue to Green"

I have never seen a set of gold dolphins under a set of wings. Not saying it's never been done, but it's next to impossible. Trying to do it with an NJP on your record??? Wow. I am looking at making a lateral transfer as well (for family reasons, I had to step off the normal career path), and it's not exactly a simple process. The sub community has to let you go, and you have to be at the top of a VERY LONG list of people trying to get an aviation spot. Virtually every tin can in the Navy has a JO who is trying to get his SWO pin as soon as possible so he can drop a lat transfer package 30 seconds after he is pinned. Those guys are going to have great records, and command endorsements.

It has been my experience that "Naval Reactors" is a mean bitch, and not exactly friendly to those trying to leave.

Good luck, but explore your options.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My API class leader was a former SUB Officer. He made the transition and picked up O-5 although he did not pick up CO. It's your career, but you need to go into it with your eyes wide open. The toughest part for you will be getting out of the NUKE community. They don't let go that easy. The other part of your LAT TRAN package will be CO's endorsement. Without that, you might as well not apply. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally knew one sub officer who transtioned to Pilot and know of another one, but as Bevo said it is very rare. With an NJP your chances are just that much harder, the package might not even make it to the board with that on your record.

So to back up what Bevo said, 'Blue to Green' might be one of your realistic options, maybe reserves too. But only the green option might get you into a cockpit, there are a few Army guys here on this board that might have better info on that. Good luck.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It depends on if the board can overlook your NJP. How bad was the NJP mistake? It apparently wasn't a career ender.....have your FITREPS show that you've recovered from your past mistakes?

-ea6bflyr ;)

sub2pilot

Wow, thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. Couple things, yes Naval Reactors (NR) doesn't normally let us go, but due to the NJP they don't want me anymore, so I do have that going for me…..As for the NJP itself, I don’t want to go into details and get myself into trouble with NR, but it was accessing a “video game” on a computer lan system. Take it for what you will but it was wrong, I’ve learned from it, and I just want to put it behind me and move on in life, easier said than done unfortunately. Fitreps afterwards are ok, not great though in any way, and unfortunately while I’m at the same command probably never will be anything better than ok. I hadn’t looked into the “Blue to Green” program because I thought most Army pilots are warrants and fly helos, which wouldn’t be my first choice though I’m certainly not opposed to it, but that is why I was looking into lateral transfer. I will check it out though, thanks Bevo.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They NJP'ed you for that? Unless putting "video game" in quotes was code for "German animal pr0n", holy overreaction Batman. But that's NR for you. No goddamned sense of humor, from Hyman G. on down to now.

Every redes/transfer instruction I've ever seen, including mine going SWO-FO, had a caveat about the redesignee being junior enough not to hurt his career chances. I'd say you're pretty much on that limit, which is why you don't see many ex-Submarine officers in Air. A student in one of my classes was an ex-Sub Flight Doc, though.

Like Flash and Bevo said, the Army would probably be an option for you. They are hurting for guys; I don't know enough to say what your chances are of getting into Army Aviation.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I am friends with a helo pilot that was a former Surface Nuke. She said it was a hell of a battle getting out of the Nuke community, but her story is proof that it IS possible to move from nuke to aviation.

Good luck.

sub2pilot

Thanks again everyone. I did read the YG05 and junior comment, for the Nov 08 and Jun 09 board, which means for the next FY board, Nov 09, it will read YG 06 and junior....unfortunately for me.

Other than the NJP I did a fairly successful JO sub tour, although I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only candidate with that. So I'm definitely fighting an uphill battle, that's for sure.....anyone have ideas on what would make the difference and help get me in? Thanks again all, this is very helpful.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know any Flag Officers that could write you a LOR?

-ea6bflyr ;)