• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Lot 14s are all of the weight, none of the thrust. -400s, but are the first lot with OBOGS.
The Lot 13's that I've flown have OBOGS... I believe they were the first OBOGS Lot. They too are "all the weight, none of the thrust", and with APG-65's.

Basically Lot 13's & 14's are the bastard children for those that are curious, but I digress...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I stand corrected on the OBOGS. There were no lot 13 jets in Lemoore while I was there. However, your comments lend credence to my thoughts on the Rhino upgrade. To tell you the truth, those motors are a beast down low, especially when the jet is slick with none of the canted pylons. Up at altitude it could be better. The real fix for fuel efficiency and better performance would be to find a way to straighten those pylons out.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I stand corrected on the OBOGS. There were no lot 13 jets in Lemoore while I was there. However, your comments lend credence to my thoughts on the Rhino upgrade. To tell you the truth, those motors are a beast down low, especially when the jet is slick with none of the canted pylons. Up at altitude it could be better. The real fix for fuel efficiency and better performance would be to find a way to straighten those pylons out.

^^^^^ Yes. Armada's point about higher TW ratio is valid, too, though.

navyao

Sorry, this is a little off target here but I don't know where else to ask this question...I'm finishing up a model of a "Rhino," a lot 30 F to be exact. I understand the Super Hornet carries a version of the TACTS pod internally now and it is stored where the M61A1 would be. My question is, in an attempt to build this model as realistic as I can, in what scenario would a TACTS pod be loaded onto the Super Hornet? I've seen pics of VX-31 F/A-18F's at Nellis flying with USAF TACTS or ACMI pods. If the M61A1 is installed then do AO's upload a TACTS during ACM training? Thanks in advance for your help!

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
^ wasn't aware there was an internal version, but I've seen them on the wingtip stations. As far as I know, which isn't a lot, they're mostly used for A/A training evolutions.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Usually its an availability issue. We normaly use the internal pod if we have it. The gun doesnt come out for the internal pod. If we dont have the internal pod then we can use the external TACTS or newer TCTS pod. These pods are for training only. Usually A/A sometimes LFE's or other air wing training.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Lemme get this straight... You guys have to send a jet all the way to Depot level to Change a motor designed to fit in the same hole as the original? Is there a major softwear change required typically. We've got 3 different engines from the same 701 series on the Apache and its not really an issue to pull 701's off an aircraft and throw 701C's or D's on it.

If the plumbing for the newer motor changes, then somehow those old jets need to get their plumbing changed if they're going to get that new motor to work. Work like that is usually done during PMI (periodic depot level maint).

Straight up engine swap in H-60s is a squadron (O-level) procedure.

navyao

Usually its an availability issue. We normaly use the internal pod if we have it. The gun doesnt come out for the internal pod. If we dont have the internal pod then we can use the external TACTS or newer TCTS pod. These pods are for training only. Usually A/A sometimes LFE's or other air wing training.

Roger that Dave, thanks. I'm loading my Rhino with a CATM-9X and CATM-7. I wanted to build it with an all inert load, something a little different than everyone else builds. One other question since I've got your attention. I have both the TACTS and newer TCTS pods. When you guys fly with one what station do your AO's load them on and do they hang them on a LAU-127/128? Thanks again, you guys have been a huge help. - Tom

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Current issue of AW&ST (July 5) says that Navy is NOT showing interest in the upgraded F-414 engine w/ a 20% increase in total thrust. Sales of the new engine will be aimed at the export market. WTF!!?? Now, we'll have the 2nd best-turning Super Hornets in the world. Lots of electronic & avionics upgrades are being developed, though, including a super, all-purpose LCD cockpit display and a Search & Track infrared system.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Current issue of AW&ST (June 28?) says that Navy is NOT showing interest in the upgraded F-414 engine w/ a 20% increase in total thrust. Sales of the new engine will be aimed at the export market. WTF!!?? Now, we'll have the 2nd best-turning Super Hornets in the world. Lots of electronic & avionics upgrades are being developed, though, including a super, all-purpose LCD cockpit display and a Search & Track infrared system.

Not that it matters but July 5th issue arrived at my place a couple of days ago. As far as engines, the P408 that made the Super Fox version of the A-4 and the earlier EPE engine for the Hornet were funded by the Kuwaiti Air Force interest in better performing engines for hot desert ops so it could be said that Navy wasn't interested in those upgraded engines iether (at least in funding of development/T&E costs). Once the engines are in production, it's another story as they can become preferred spares and be installed on production line. Sooo, I'd ask again after a foreign client signs up for the T&E costs.

Fog

None
Contributor
Thanks. Good points, and I hope you're right.

Fog

None
Contributor
Not that it matters but July 5th issue arrived at my place a couple of days ago. As far as engines, the P408 that made the Super Fox version of the A-4 and the earlier EPE engine for the Hornet were funded by the Kuwaiti Air Force interest in better performing engines for hot desert ops so it could be said that Navy wasn't interested in those upgraded engines iether (at least in funding of development/T&E costs). Once the engines are in production, it's another story as they can become preferred spares and be installed on production line. Sooo, I'd ask again after a foreign client signs up for the T&E costs.

I don't mean to drag this thread out mercilessly, but the new Jan 17, 2011 issue of AW& ST features Boeing's update to the Super Hornet for the international market. This proposed version will be aimed at India & other new/existing F-18 custiomers. The a/c will have conformal fuel tanks (increasing the internal fuel capacity by 3,000lbs) and GE's F-414EPE engine w/ 26,400 lbs of thrust. The changes to the Rhino increase its range 10-20% in all modes & "combat acceleration" up to 50% as well. Let us pray that India or others lead with the purchase of the new engines & CFTs so that the US Navy might buy them later at more affordable prices. Apparently, Boeing is also hoping the Super Hornet+ will attract buyers from the F-35 w/out overtly advertising it as an alternative to the F-35.