• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Meyerkord

pilot
Does anyone know what is up with the Mission of the NAVY on the updated 2018 version of Appendix B?? The one that is currently on the OCS official website... It differs greatly from the Mission of the NAVY that is on the 2017 Appendix B... I tried looking it up to see it the NAVY changed their mission statement, but it doesnt seem like they have... they still have to older one on their websites! So why does this current 2018 Appendix B have a changed Mission Statement....

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Whether or not the new one is used navy-wide, you'll need to know it verbatim for OCS purposes.

flgator92

None
Does anyone know what is up with the Mission of the NAVY on the updated 2018 version of Appendix B?? The one that is currently on the OCS official website... It differs greatly from the Mission of the NAVY that is on the 2017 Appendix B... I tried looking it up to see it the NAVY changed their mission statement, but it doesnt seem like they have... they still have to older one on their websites! So why does this current 2018 Appendix B have a changed Mission Statement....

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Mission of the Navy: recruit, train, equip, and organize to deliver combat ready naval forces to win conflicts and wars while maintaining security and deterrence through sustained forward presence.

scs_mh60

Searched but haven't seen anything since the early 2000s. I'm an active E-5 with a dependent, trying to see if my paycheck will drop at OCS, so I can plan.

• Flight pay: Will my this terminate before OCS or after commissioning?
  • SAR pay: Same question.
  • BAS: Standard enlisted rate, or does this get deducted for meals?
  • BAH: Assuming it's where my spouse is, since OCS is considered TAD. Correct?
  • FSA: Looks like I'll be eligible since my spouse is not in Newport area. Correct?

AULANI

Searched but haven't seen anything since the early 2000s. I'm an active E-5 with a dependent, trying to see if my paycheck will drop at OCS, so I can plan.

• Flight pay: Will my this terminate before OCS or after commissioning?
  • SAR pay: Same question.
  • BAS: Standard enlisted rate, or does this get deducted for meals?
  • BAH: Assuming it's where my spouse is, since OCS is considered TAD. Correct?
  • FSA: Looks like I'll be eligible since my spouse is not in Newport area. Correct?
Don't know about flight and SAR pay.
You'll still get the same BAH assuming your spouse isn't also active duty. If they are, only your spouse will collect BAH.
Good luck trying to get FSA pay.

OCS is expensive... you're about drop like $3k on uniforms in addition to all the other shit you have to pay for. Just assume you're gonna take a pay cut and budget accordingly.

scs_mh60

Thanks for the heads up.
Hopefully I can get money back on some of the uniforms like NWUs and PTUs if I bring serviceable ones.

Dontcallmegump

pilot

papacarter

College Student
I have concerns about the blood draw during admin week (which I believe is Monday morning). I have a 100% faint rate when it comes to giving blood, and I was wondering if passing out during the blood draw would DQ me / give me unwanted attention at OCS.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I have concerns about the blood draw during admin week (which I believe is Monday morning). I have a 100% faint rate when it comes to giving blood, and I was wondering if passing out during the blood draw would DQ me / give me unwanted attention at OCS.
Medical is typically done check in Sunday, and if you let them know you have a history of passing out they can accommodate you. Obviously try to avoid passing out, but I cant comment on what would happen to you if you were to pass out as I don’t know.

AULANI

Just tell the corpsman. They'll ask if anyone is prone to passing out, don't try to be tough and lie about it. We had a few people pass out (after not telling the corpsman) and nothing happened to them but we did laugh and give them shit for it the rest of the time.

flgator92

None
You're over thinking this, dude. Tell the corpsman. They might laugh at you for passing out but they're really good dudes. Unless you passing out is related to a previously undislosed medical condition (which I doubt it is), don't stress out about it. Study appendix bravo instead.

Meyerkord

pilot
Had someone pass out in our class and it's not a big deal. Didn't hold them back whatsoever. Heck, the safety stand down we had in Pensacola made like 6 people pass out (literally) sitting in the auditorium lol

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Had someone pass out in our class and it's not a big deal. Didn't hold them back whatsoever. Heck, the safety stand down we had in Pensacola made like 6 people pass out (literally) sitting in the auditorium lol

Gotta say, I thought that whole SSD was gunna be a snooze fest but a few outstanding (then falling) individuals and one take charge MAJ put on a show that morning.

BZ to all responsible ;)

KristenQT

I'm hearing that being a female and a minority will give you a leg up and will help you get selected for OCS over white males. Is that true?
I know this post is almost 3 months old but I felt compelled...

The military is a not a public state funded affirmative action college. The color of your skin nor your anatomy makeup have any bearing on how boards see you as a possible successful future officer.

While having diversity within the work place is good; your future sailors will be looking at how well you lead them.

If you go in with the mindset that you will have a leg up because the military views you as some kind of token you will be sadly mistaken and stand out in a bad news bears kind of way.

Scabs

Paperwork to bring to OCS:
What do they want for financial history?
Do they want dental/medical records since turning 18, or before 18 and up?