• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

flgator92

None
Yes, they get tailored. Worry about studying your gouge and getting in shape physically. Everything else will fall into place.

Depends on what you mean by tailored. Your uniform items will be hemmed - not necessarily "tailored" like a bespoke suit. They'll need some more tailoring if you care about that stuff once you're at your follow on training.

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
I got my blues tailored a bit while I was there -- but I'm also tall and skinny and looked like trash in every jacket, so it's not an everybody thing.

You shouldn't walk out of OCS looking like absolute dogshit. Can't, uh, say the same about Primary though.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
I got my blues tailored a bit while I was there -- but I'm also tall and skinny and looked like trash in every jacket, so it's not an everybody thing.

You shouldn't walk out of OCS looking like absolute dogshit. Can't, uh, say the same about Primary though.

No sailor should look like dog shit in their uniform if not in combat, or stuck on shore patrol for an extended period of time.?

Question, how imperative is it to learn how to swim before coming to OCS? I've been on a wait list at my local Y (by local I mean an hour away, I live in a very rural area so places to learn are limited) and I just don't see me learning before I have to leave next month.

Also would like a female's perspective on this if possible since I read that if they teach you there then you have to practice in the morning every day, so how was that dealing with wet hair ? Did it get your uniform wet all day, im sure they wouldn't be happy about that.

solovey

I assume you mean wait listed for swim lessons? In which case I would still go to the Y and see what you can manage by yourself (I would give the lifeguard on duty a heads up that you don't know how to swim so they can keep a close eye on you). At least try to treadwater/float and get yourself used to the water. It's hard to say how long it will take you to learn to swim that varies from person to person but the more comfortable you are in water the better.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Also would like a female's perspective on this if possible since I read that if they teach you there then you have to practice in the morning every day, so how was that dealing with wet hair ? Did it get your uniform wet all day, im sure they wouldn't be happy about that.
Do not cut your hair as stated above if you plan on having long hair following graduation. I have hair down to my bum and I managed just fine. Shower at night, put your hair in a bun before bed. Wake up, kick ass, start over again. Cutting your hair requires a lot of maintenance and the NEX can't cut hair for shit in Newport so every time you get a trim to keep it in regs, it will be crooked. In addition, staff has been requiring short-hair females pin their hair out of their faces for PT anyway. So you still have extra work required. It's better you just learn a bun now and how to maintain it for the fleet so you don't look like hammered garbage like a lot of females walking around do.
You are permitted a small blowdryer at OCS. I would blowdry the underneath of my hair before doing my bun at night and I never had any issues with fungal infections on your nape hairline like some women did. You are not taught how to do your hair at OCS. But you will absolutely be penalized for your hair looking like trash. So you need to practice before you go, show up knowing how. Your hair will also be worn in a bun and never down, so your uniform being wet is never a concern. I am confused about this line of questioning.

Edit: You have to do your bun before bed as there is just not time in the mornings

Last edited:

djr101

Do not cut your hair as stated above if you plan on having long hair following graduation. I have hair down to my bum and I managed just fine. Shower at night, put your hair in a bun before bed. Wake up, kick ass, start over again. Cutting your hair requires a lot of maintenance and the NEX can't cut hair for shit in Newport so every time you get a trim to keep it in regs, it will be crooked. In addition, staff has been requiring short-hair females pin their hair out of their faces for PT anyway. So you still have extra work required. It's better you just learn a bun now and how to maintain it for the fleet so you don't look like hammered garbage like a lot of females walking around do.
You are permitted a small blowdryer at OCS. I would blowdry the underneath of my hair before doing my bun at night and I never had any issues with fungal infections on your nape hairline like some women did. You are not taught how to do your hair at OCS. But you will absolutely be penalized for your hair looking like trash. So you need to practice before you go, show up knowing how. Your hair will also be worn in a bun and never down, so your uniform being wet is never a concern. I am confused about this line of questioning.

Edit: You have to do your bun before bed as there is just not time in the mornings

As another woman waiting on OCS, thank you for this advice!

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
Didn’t see this anywhere, but are we able to put personally owned weapons (ie - my P320/M17) in the armory there in Newport? I have no good place easily available to store it for while I’m up there. I know there would be a number of hoops to get it ready to go but just want to see if anyone had any experience or has heard of anyone who has done this.

aribjc

Didn’t see this anywhere, but are we able to put personally owned weapons (ie - my P320/M17) in the armory there in Newport? I have no good place easily available to store it for while I’m up there. I know there would be a number of hoops to get it ready to go but just want to see if anyone had any experience or has heard of anyone who has done this.
I know this is a thread for stupid questions but good lord

Naval Station Newport Instruction 5530.7C
Basically you would need advance permission from the base CO. Not sure that is likely to happen.

senatesnob

Nothing worse than the House of Represenatives
I know this is a thread for stupid questions but good lord

Look, I’ve got a pistol in and concealed carry for DC. I’m trying to store it safely and responsibly. There aren’t a lot of good options around here for keeping my guns. Just looking for options.

AULANI

Look, I’ve got a pistol in and concealed carry for DC. I’m trying to store it safely and responsibly. There aren’t a lot of good options around here for keeping my guns. Just looking for options.
You must have a few friends across the river in VA. Let one of them hold it for you while you go to OCS.