• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charley

You could probably just google this you know.

Yea, tried that. Brings back some perilously vague returns. I was hoping that somebody might know some obscure site that may have already done more precise work. Thanks for your effort though.

cblack

According to the Boeing PDF overview:

"[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Operational in 10 U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wings (19 squadrons)
432 Super Hornets have been delivered as of May 1, 2010
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]234 F-model Super Hornets[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]186 E-model Super Hornets"
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/fa18ef/docs/EF_overview.pdf

Hope that helps.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
A-1 Skyraider questions

On the Starboard side of some of the single seat Spads I seen a small door what the purposes of that compartment, and what variant where they?

What was the operating procedures one the Armor shields in the front and back of the Wright R-3350, Was it opened up on take off or closed? And why did it use so much oil?

btw I love this shot of the A-1!
http://
www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/douglas_a1d_karstenpalt.jpg

Hi Patrick...just looked through some old A1 books I have...spotted pix of the AD-4N...looks like a single seater, but carried a radar operator and ECM operator...ECM compartment had a hatch on starboard side, just above the trailing edge of the wing...also carried a large ECM pod under starboard wing...pic taken in 1953...even before my time...LOL!! Never saw one for real.

No armor shields on the engine that I recall...think you're looking at the front part of the engine air cooling system...cooling air exits through the cowl flaps near the exhaust pipes...pilot controlled.

Burned oil because it carried so much fuel you could remain in flight for longer than the pilot could stand...so they ran you outta oil, so you could land!! My longest was 10.5 hours...toured all of Italy, and some of the Med...was glad to get back to the boat...LOL!!

jackjack

Hey guys, i'm an aussie civi and got some dumb questions if you have time
There are some smiling faces down here since we have gotten 11 of our SH delivered with one still left stateside indefinitely
The next dozen should be wired as growlers

Now my question is about the apg-79, as i understand it , it is still in test and development, does anyone know the expected time frame for it to become IOC then FOC

Here are some pics of our SH http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2010/Jun/20100607/index.htm

20100603raaf8490713_0038_th.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys, i'm an aussie civi and got some dumb questions if you have time
There are some smiling faces down here since we have gotten 11 of our SH delivered with one still left stateside indefinitely
The next dozen should be wired as growlers

Now my question is about the apg-79, as i understand it , it is still in test and development, does anyone know the expected time frame for it to become IOC then FOC

Here are some pics of our SH http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2010/Jun/20100607/index.htm

20100603raaf8490713_0038_th.jpg

It's already out there in the fleet so Google "F/A-18 APG-79 AESA" and you'll get pages on info that you seek

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
For JOs going on their first tour...I'd recommend trying to get the Aircrew Div. "O" job...Why? Because you don't have to do anything, but sign the chits when the LCPO sends them to you. I DON'T recommend either First Lt. or Line Officer though...Well, unless you want to become very familiar with Article 15, Manual of Courts Martial, Getting to see the inside of the CPO mess for DRBs EVERY month...Seriously, the aircrew Div "O" job is a coveted one in the HS/HSL or whatever they are calling themselves this week. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
For JOs going on their first tour...I'd recommend trying to get the Aircrew Div. "O" job...Why? Because you don't have to do anything, but sign the chits when the LCPO sends them to you. I DON'T recommend either First Lt. or Line Officer though...Well, unless you want to become very familiar with Article 15, Manual of Courts Martial, Getting to see the inside of the CPO mess for DRBs EVERY month...Seriously, the aircrew Div "O" job is a coveted one in the HS/HSL or whatever they are calling themselves this week. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Wow...or you could step up and be the SAR/Tactics O and actually help train the aircrew to be better at their job. Especially if you are prior A/C.

Kaman

Wow...or you could step up and be the SAR/Tactics O and actually help train the aircrew to be better at their job. Especially if you are prior A/C.

I think you failed to read into my post and note the humor. Actually, I been there and done that...SAR PO, WTI, NVG PHASE III Inst., SAMI, HADGI, etc...Never needed any JO's or "Majors" to get the job done, and they knew we could do our jobs completed with little if any "adult" supervision. Unlike many of the JOs I trained how to actually do ASW without having to punch a lot of buttons into the damned TACNAV! Please just drive the bus to the datum...Or get us on-top the survivor and we will make you look good no matter how F'up'd you are...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Except that AWs need more "adult" supervision than they think they need, just like JOs.

Personally, I'd go with the downstairs jobs, not because I have anything against AWs, I just can't stand Ops.

Kaman

Amen to the OPS thing! I had some of the equally un-sought after AW collateral duties over the years too...COMM: every other week having to pick-up the traffic and do the message boards "old school" ya' know like with paper! and LO BETIDE the poor SOB that was late getting the board ready before the XO came waltzing in not only wondering why the boards weren't ready, BUT not having the WR coffee going! OPS Logs&Records PO:...That made flying a real "collateral job at the FRS when I was responsible for not only the staff , but FRPS and FRACS logbooks, preparing monthly reports, FOAB, etc...I about wore out the snivel log doing that job! TRAINING PO: WAY too much paperwork in the "old days"...ONLOAD LPO: Your basic nightmare...

Status
Not open for further replies.