• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you could provide three tenets of leadership what would they be?
  1. Don't be an asshole to new posters on AW - be nice, because that may be someone's first impression of a Naval Officer!
  2. Don't be creepy to female posters on AW, because nobody likes that and it's unprofessional AF.
  3. Don't forget to smell the roses, because they smell pretty good.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you can write the good words with clarity and speed you will be loved and remembered by the boss.

Writing well, I mean really well, is super highly valued and unfortunately a moderately rare skill.

Not at all disagreeing, and I recently spent the last year preparing (mostly written, some PPT briefs) products for O6-O9 audience.

But squadron Admin O is, at best, a junior Department Head job. Every Officer should know a fucked up admin department is 10 minutes away from grinding a squadron to a halt. It’s still admin, and you’re going to make your play for Skipper as the OPS/MO.

taxi1

pilot
Not at all disagreeing, and I recently spent the last year preparing (mostly written, some PPT briefs) products for O6-O9 audience.

But squadron Admin O is, at best, a junior Department Head job.
I agree (former CO). But it is a great chance for the new DH to make that strong first impression. Or not.

Clear writing = clear thinking = key skill in ops or maint.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I agree (former CO). But it is a great chance for the new DH to make that strong first impression. Or not.

Clear writing = clear thinking = key skill in ops or maint.

Completely agree. Of course, the better your writing is, the more work you make for yourself. So there's that. Another benefit, if you want to call it that, of being an Admin O is you have a pretty good idea of what's happening in the squadron since 99% of the paperwork ultimately goes through you. Other than some NCIS crap and an O being kicked out (and even then I got some of the paperwork), everything else came across my desk.

Then again, you also get to see a bunch of the Chief drama (if that's a thing in your squadron), which was exhausting, although much more so for my CO.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
DTS, now there’s something I truly hated, and don’t miss.?

Luckily I had an excellent admin department.?
As much as I hated DTS previously I got pretty good at it in my last job, I would love to be able to use it now during my 9 month PCS with i-stops. Since I can’t use it I’ll be hoping PSD doesn’t screw me over. What are the odds???‍♂️

Scimitarze

Automated Member
Maybe this is too niche, but where does the "skids are assholes" joke hail from that I've seen on here a few times? Is that a fleet thing or an AW meme?

Meyerkord

pilot
How does one become an aviation detailer, and where does that fit into the overall career progression as far as timing and on/off path? Are most of these guys HR lat-transfers or is it's some kind of shore/disassociated tour?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How does one become an aviation detailer, and where does that fit into the overall career progression as far as timing and on/off path? Are most of these guys HR lat-transfers or is it's some kind of shore/disassociated tour?

Post Department Head aviation shore tour. It's about as "on track" as a senior O-4 can be for command (essentially guaranteed to make operational XO/CO).