• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I thought the typical DH tour came after the disassociated?
95% of the time yes, but there are disassociated tours that involve flying.

The others are usually pilots who were extended and due to timing go straight from 1st shore tour to DH. This is pretty rare though, I think.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In VP DHs still fly and hold crews generally until they hit OPSO/MO, then they’re pretty tied to the desk apart from what they need to fly to stay current or if a body is needed on the sked. Sad face.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
In VP DHs still fly and hold crews generally until they hit OPSO/MO, then they’re pretty tied to the desk apart from what they need to fly to stay current or if a body is needed on the sked. Sad face.
Was running numbers for my FITREP. Held down N2/6/9 at the same time (we had 6 DH’s for a while) and now “just” N6/9. Still managed to fly 70 sorties and 350 hours since November 1 last year.

Will be sad to see those numbers drop as I get “real” departments, but have enjoyed learning how to fly the P-8.

This OPTEMPO during our IDRC has been way busier than when I was a JO. Not sure if it’s due to more plane availability or the desire to use the new plane everywhere...

Was hoping to get 1000 hours with 1.5 deployments, but doesn’t look like it will happen.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I’m pretty sure he means why are they using it at all? I can’t stand it in a squadron, just call it ‘ops’, ‘maintenance’, etc. It’s a squadron, not a staff.
Oh, so you're saying that you hate it too! Ummmmm hmmmmmmm...

:p

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In HSC, the DH's are often the guys/gals with the highest monthly hours since they have the most qualifications and are doing missions and teaching events for the younger JOs.