• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That's the weight board. This enables the aircrew to confirm that the catapult crew have the correct gross weight of the aircraft prior to launch. Gross weight is used to determine the correct catapult settings.
And if you’re over weight, they tape you.

jmcquate

Contributor
Random thought at work today, sorry if asked before, but why isn't the F-35B the FV-35A and the F-35C thus becomes the F-35B?

jmcquate

Contributor
I hope God doesn't hate me yet............not really concerned about Acquisitions. Happy to be in the same boat with logic.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Random thought at work today, sorry if asked before, but why isn't the F-35B the FV-35A and the F-35C thus becomes the F-35B?

Why isn't it the F-24 would be the better question. I presume that it isn't V because it is a 'modification' of the baseline design. And politics.

robav8r

None
Contributor
That's the weight board. This enables the aircrew to confirm that the catapult crew have the correct gross weight of the aircraft prior to launch. Gross weight is used to determine the correct catapult settings.
On the last Tomcat cruise in 05', the VF pilots stopped submitting weight chits prior to their go (and to be fair, their weight NEVER changed, but I digress). The ship's CO (JR Haley) authorized the Shooters to fuck with them a bit as they taxied to the cat. You haven't seen sheer panic on a Tomcat pilot when he is flashed a Hornet weight board. Fun times ;-)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, why isn’t it an “F/A”?

Because politics probably. Just like the F/A-18 'replaced' the A-7 but was so much more! Originally it was planned to have two separate versions, an A and an F, but that went buy the waside early on. Then there is the the Marine V-22 that is 'M' and the USAF one is 'C', because paying that much money for a 'multi-mission' aircraft makes more sense than a mere 'cargo' aircraft.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the last Tomcat cruise in 05', the VF pilots stopped submitting weight chits prior to their go (and to be fair, their weight NEVER changed, but I digress). The ship's CO (JR Haley) authorized the Shooters to fuck with them a bit as they taxied to the cat. You haven't seen sheer panic on a Tomcat pilot when he is flashed a Hornet weight board. Fun times ;-)
I've been shown a significantly off weight board for about 50% of the the cat shots in my career. I doubt any aircrew ever panicked about it - why would they? We expect incompetence from the deck crew. It's a pleasant surprise when they manage to get it right.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I've been shown a significantly off weight board for about 50% of the the cat shots in my career. I doubt any aircrew ever panicked about it - why would they? We expect incompetence from the deck crew. It's a pleasant surprise when they manage to get it right.
Says the NFO that doesn't seem concerned when 36K is shown, but 60/61 should be on the board. Your "incompetent deck crew" seemed to get your ass launched and recovered safely everytime though, huh?
smiles and shit ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Says the NFO that doesn't seem concerned when 36K is shown, but 60/61 should be on the board. Your "incompetent deck crew" seemed to get your ass launched and recovered safely everytime though, huh?
smiles and shit ?
That's the whole point of showing the weight board, so aircrew can confirm its accuracy. There's absolutely no reason to be concerned, because you correct the deck crew's error before you're launched. So, yes, I managed to be launched and recovered safely in spite of the incompetent deck crew's 50% crap shoot on getting the details right. Don't take it personally. That's precisely why that procedure exists.