• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

rockthearts281

meh, worst case scenario, we die.
As a new guy in the helo community, you're typically only responsible for the lights and ashtrays, so it's not that big of a deal. ?
I knew an Air Force pilot who told me all the time "I'm just a co-pilot. I just talk on the radios and lower gear and flaps when I'm told to."

Python

pilot
Contributor
This is more of a general question and I realized I haven't even stepped aboard on a Naval aircraft yet but I feel a bit concerned about how hard it is to manage everything on an aircraft, say for an example a jet, not only do you have to fly but you have to manage all the systems and I am wondering how of y'all do that.

They build you up to it through flight school. Through repetition and practice it becomes natural. You get your rhythms and flows. Many have done it and many will continue to do it. It also helps that tacair jets are the easiest planes to fly from a mechanical standpoint.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
They build you up to it through flight school. Through repetition and practice it becomes natural. You get your rhythms and flows. Many have done it and many will continue to do it. It also helps that tacair jets are the easiest planes to fly from a mechanical standpoint.

I hear lots of hornet dudes say that. Must be why there wasn’t an nss requirement

ATIS

This is more of a general question and I realized I haven't even stepped aboard on a Naval aircraft yet but I feel a bit concerned about how hard it is to manage everything on an aircraft, say for an example a jet, not only do you have to fly but you have to manage all the systems and I am wondering how of y'all do that.

Concerned?

JTFC

You should be excited.

Sorry for pissing on the campfire here...but please tell me that folks today are concerned that they have to fly/fight an aircraft, which includes it's systems.

Get your wings first...learn to fly your trainer aircraft and their system....get to the fleet, learn a new aircraft and it's systems and then it's mission systems. Concerned....1000's of dumb asses like myself learned to be Godzilla stomping on Tokyo good in the aircraft.

Go drink and chase girls, stop being concerned, act like a Warrior that wants to gun the brains or bomb the enemy into red goo.

ATIS

ATIS

Concerned?

JTFC

You should be excited.

Sorry for pissing on the campfire here...but please tell me that folks today are concerned that they have to fly/fight an aircraft, which includes it's systems.

Get your wings first...learn to fly your trainer aircraft and their system....get to the fleet, learn a new aircraft and it's systems and then it's mission systems. Concerned....1000's of dumb asses like myself learned to be Godzilla stomping on Tokyo good in the aircraft.

Go drink and chase girls, stop being concerned, act like a Warrior that wants to gun the brains or bomb the enemy into red goo.

ATIS
Don’t “like” my post Austin Powers, go F-ing live it.

ATIS

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Don’t “like” my post Austin Powers, go F-ing live it.

ATIS
I like where your head is. God knows we need an injection of warfighting spirit in our aviation ranks. Too many years of pussies who spent careers burning flight hours over the boat doing "DCA" and "CAP" are telling guys who've been to war they aren't needed anymore.

GroundPounder

Was on a social media site today, and they had a picture of the USS Ronald Reagan with the flight deck covered in cars. The story was that they belonged to the crew and were being transported due to a change in home port. Stupid question(s)

1, Is there a fee?
2. Being exposed to salt air like that can't be good, but I assume that it's the price you pay for getting your car hauled out with minimal aggravation?
3. If you get in line first, do you get the hanger deck? :)
980x.jpgUS_Navy_120109-N-EE987-271_Vehicles_of_Sailors_are_stored_in_the_hangar_bay_of_the_aircraft_ca...jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was on a social media site today, and they had a picture of the USS Ronald Reagan with the flight deck covered in cars. The story was that they belonged to the crew and were being transported due to a change in home port. Stupid question(s)

1, Is there a fee?
2. Being exposed to salt air like that can't be good, but I assume that it's the price you pay for getting your car hauled out with minimal aggravation?
View attachment 20518View attachment 20519
Would imagine it's free.

Sea story from LHD-6 in Sasebo, Japan: Air Ops and I are chatting in FDC. He's complaining about having to figure out how to get his car on to a ferry to Oki so he can give it to a buddy. I say to him, "Dude, we're standing on a giant car ferry that's going to Oki in a few days." "No way I could bring my car on the boat," he says. "I'm bored, let's call the CCO," I reply as I pick up the phone and call CCO. CCO says, "Yeah, totally cool. Tell Air Ops to have his car on the pier the day before we sail and we'll put it one of the Vs. I'll have to get XO to whip some paper, but it will be good to go."

Air Ops ended up not doing it because there was an issue with using the side port in Oki so the only way to get his car off of the boat would have been via an LCAC and he didn't want to expose the vehicle to that much salt spray. I told him if he put in the V we'd have to get it off and we could always put in on the elevator and get the Japanese crane guys to swing it to the pier (they'll swing anything as long as it fits on the elevator) and if they won't swing it then I'd bust out Tilly. He demurred because the plan had gotten too crazy.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

1, Is there a fee?
View attachment 20518View attachment 20519

It’s free, but you pay the crane fees and any other expenses with getting it on and off the ship. I don’t know how they spread out the costs with a big ship full like a CVN or LHA. Pretty common with a change of homeport. First time I ever saw it done was on a DD on my Middie cruise. Ship was transiting from Pearl to SD. They were going to have the CoC in San Diego and the outgoing Captain had his Jeep craned aboard and took advatange of the ‘free’ sealift. Weird seeing a Wrangler chained down in the helo hangar.

Never done it myself, but from what I’ve been told, the advantage isn’t so much cost savings as your POV arriving at your new station as the same time as you do. When the gov’t ships POVs it can take months to arrive.

As for salt air, I’m sure it’s not good for your car but nothing a good car wash won’t take care of if you do it as soon as you get it ashore.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I’m blanking on this. On the Carrier, what’s the tower on the forward quarter starboard side called? Usually had the wind measurement on it?