• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Studying for NIFE beforehand

Dinosaurologist

Hey everyone, I’m at TBS right now, and I will not be graduating here until October at the earliest. I have a lot of free time, and I was wondering what I could study out here before going down to Pensacola and starting flight school.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everyone, I’m at TBS right now, and I will not be graduating here until October at the earliest. I have a lot of free time, and I was wondering what I could study out here before going down to Pensacola and starting flight school.

The “I am about to start flight school how can I prepare?” question gets asked regularly here.

In short, if there was ever pre work needed, you would receive it. In the meantime, enjoy the downtime, this may be only opportunity where you’re paid to do nothing.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'd recommend the latest FAA private pilot handbook - Aero, FR&R, and Weather will more or less come from there. You should also be able to find CNAF M-3710, naval aviation's master governing document. With CAC access you might be able to go on the CNATRA website and find the NIFE FTI, but academics has a higher attrition rate than the flying portion and constitutes the closest gator (well, TBS is your actual closest gator).

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
What @Swanee said...

Also, get rid of any high and tight haircuts, and work it down to at least a medium reg.

Also, don't let the Marine Shop in Q-town convince you that need any uniform item or accessory above the minimum requirement. (No, you don't need a special jewelry box for your dress uniform accoutrements).

Beyond that, good luck!

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Putting in the effort at TBS to not screw up a test or evaluation there will pay more dividends than studying for flight school. I’d also submit that burying your nose in aviation pubs may not send the message you want to your ground side peers who are putting out for a MOS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Also, don't let the Marine Shop in Q-town convince you that need any uniform item or accessory above the minimum requirement. (No, you don't need a special jewelry box for your dress uniform accoutrements).

Can we sticky this and make it mando reading for every Marine?
Are they still making 2nd Lts buy their own sword?
Dress blues in the Air Force cost about $500 for everything, (yeah, we look like bus drivers, but still). Mess dress is like $800.
A Dress Blue USMC coat costs $800. Don't waste money on shit you don't need!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Can we sticky this and make it mando reading for every Marine?
Are they still making 2nd Lts buy their own sword?
Dress blues in the Air Force cost about $500 for everything, (yeah, we look like bus drivers, but still). Mess dress is like $800.
A Dress Blue USMC coat costs $800. Don't waste money on shit you don't need!
Haha, yeah the Marine Shop were some vultures. I can't remember the price differences between them and the MCX, but they were relatively big...(but but there swords were crafted from a fine German steel, with fine Italian leather on the hilt...😆)

I wish I had listened to my prior enlisted classmates, and gotten my shit from the exchange.