• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Stuck at OTCN, disqualified from aviation and forced to go SWO or to DOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I graduated OCS recently, however, just got medically disqualified from aviation and have been given two options. DOR or redes to SWO. I’ve heard a lot of bad things about going SWO and even the SWO’s I’ve talked to told me to avoid going Surface Warfare. Is it worth doing 4 years of SWO? What is the lifestyle like?

Having been wanting to fly so so many years and also hearing about how shitty SWOs have it really discourages me from accepting my commission but I wanted to get more input

Also I was only given two options, to go SWO or to DOR. This is because I have not been officially commissioned yet. I would love to try and go Spec War or EOD

Deep down I truly don’t want to go SWO, like it was my worst fear during my 12 weeks at OCS. At the same time, it’s hard to turn down the O1 pay and benefits and also worrying about getting a RE-3K slapped onto my documents if I want to join another branch or something.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Take your commission and go SWO. The life isn’t that bad and you will learn some skill that will serve you well in later life. “Naval Officer” carries weight on a resume and shows any employer that you can adapt to new tasks. You will get some benefits that you can carry through life and a leg up if you decide to become a federal employee.

Things to keep in mind. You can always apply for SpecWar once you are commissioned, but recent news indicates that route might not be as “cool” as it once was. There is nothing in the world to prevent you from getting your FAA airman certificate while you are SWOing about. Sure, you won’t get to fly every weekend when deployed, but you will get plenty of experience and have some fun.

DOR is for losers, but a DOR after completing the training is for super losers. It is like building a bridge and then setting it on fire before you actually cross it. You are young. Take the commission and do something for your country.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Adult decision time friendo. If you still want to serve as a Naval Officer you're being offered an opportunity to do so with the potential to look at lateral transfers in the future. If you only wanted to serve as an Aviator and it's no longer in the cards then there's no shame in saying, "thanks but no thanks."

SWO will still offer you an opportunity to serve and lead Sailors at sea. I'd recommend you go find some SWOs and ask them for their insights in to the community. If you ask around here you'll get the Aviator answer about SWOs since this is an aviation centric site. There should be plenty of SWOs in Newport who might offer you a few minutes of mentorship prior to you making a decision. Go do some research on SWO with people from multiple sources in the community and make your decision. Just keep in mind if you do go SWO to "bloom where you're planted." Don't get to your ship and bitch and moan; show up and do your best.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DOR is for losers, but a DOR after completing the training is for super losers.

No, it's not. If he's not getting what he signed up for, he doesn't owe anyone anything to stick around. That's one of the benefits of doing OCS.

That said, I agree with Pags...do some research and ask specific questions. SWO may still be a good choice and the commitment isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, especially for what you can get out of it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
SWO may still be a good choice and the commitment isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, especially for what you can get out of it.
Four years of sea time as a young guy isn't much; you can make some bank, see the world*, do some unique stuff you'd never get to do as a civilian, meet some people you might never meet as a civilian, and leave with some good stories and perspective.

*hint: it's 70-80% water

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Take the opportunity to become a leader and earn the freedom from which you’ve benefited. SWO was my third choice, would’ve taken it if offered just to have the chance to lead and serve.

You will gain a great perspective on the world around you, and have a chance to see things most people don’t get to.

Pickle

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Need more info, why are you being told you can’t fly? Is it a hard down or do you have options with other services?

Personally, if I were in your shoes I’d probably take my ball and go home. You signed up to fly and now you can’t, and you haven’t even commissioned, so you don’t owe Uncle Sam anything.

If you do stay, negotiate the shit out of the SWO thing. To the point of getting them to agree now to let you lat transfer once you get your pin, and make sure that’s in writing. If they won’t do that, then I’d look elsewhere.

exNavyOffRec

I graduated OCS recently, however, just got medically disqualified from aviation and have been given two options. DOR or redes to SWO. I’ve heard a lot of bad things about going SWO and even the SWO’s I’ve talked to told me to avoid going Surface Warfare. Is it worth doing 4 years of SWO? What is the lifestyle like?

Having been wanting to fly so so many years and also hearing about how shitty SWOs have it really discourages me from accepting my commission but I wanted to get more input

Also I was only given two options, to go SWO or to DOR. This is because I have not been officially commissioned yet. I would love to try and go Spec War or EOD

Deep down I truly don’t want to go SWO, like it was my worst fear during my 12 weeks at OCS. At the same time, it’s hard to turn down the O1 pay and benefits and also worrying about getting a RE-3K slapped onto my documents if I want to join another branch or something.

Is the issue that has caused you to be NPQ for aviation anything that would cause you to be NPQ for Spec War?

I have know many SWO's that hated it, and many who really enjoyed it, at the end of the day you will have experiences that not many others will have had the chance to go through.

Thank you for the responses so far, the O that’s in charge of redesignating told me I have until Friday to let him know what my decision will be so I’m gonna take the next couple days to decide.

One reason why I’m considering DORing is because I really don’t want to settle for something just because it’s the only option available. On the contrary, I would hate to DOR and have a RE-3K reenlistment code on my record when I apply for other military programs in the future.
Need more info, why are you being told you can’t fly? Is it a hard down or do you have options with other services?

I was told I wasn’t qualified for jobs that involved flying in the Navy due to asymptomatic spondylosis they found coincidentally through an X-Ray I had done on my leg (for a fracture from a few years ago). The flight doc told me the reason why I was NPQ’d was because if I were to eject, I could become paralyzed or severely injure my spine. I asked to submit a waiver as my back is in pretty good condition and I’ve never experienced back pain but the waiver was denied. I asked if I could just go helo’s or P8’s but because the T-6 has an ejection seat, I still wouldn’t be qualified to go that route.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I’m all over this board advocating pilots “go to The Show” but that is after their initial commitment is up. Being a Navy officer no matter what designator is a once in a lifetime experience worth having. You’re young and it’s only 4 years. From that 4 years you will get a lifetime of experience and memories. You will be a member of a unique and prestigious club with a limited membership that will pay dividends throughout your life.

Don’t miss the opportunity. Go SWO.

MGoBrew11

pilot
This is a tough spot to be in so I feel for you.

Like others have said, SWO will still offer you some really cool opportunities, both in the Navy and once your commitment is up should you choose to get out.

If it is just a back/ejection seat thing though maybe look into Army Aviation? I don't believe they train in any ejection seat aircraft. Like you said, it is a risk due to the RE-3K and you have a bird in the hand....

On the other hand, you want to fly.

EDIT: FWIW I knew a guy in primary/advanced that failed out of the HTs and got out of the Navy. He now flies Army helos.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You are facing a tough choice. If it is asymptomatic spondylosis you are not going to be allowed to fly for any branch of the armed forces. You also won’t be qualified for airborne (parachute) operations so SpecWar is out. As I noted earlier, you can still fly but as a civilian and I encourage that route. That said, as others have noted, the experience gained by serving as a naval officer is life-time valuable.

Please let us know what you decide...and good luck!

MGoBrew11

pilot
You are facing a tough choice. If it is asymptomatic spondylosis you are not going to be allowed to fly for any branch of the armed forces. You also won’t be qualified for airborne (parachute) operations so SpecWar is out. As I noted earlier, you can still fly but as a civilian and I encourage that route. That said, as others have noted, the experience gained by serving as a naval officer is life-time valuable.

Please let us know what you decide...and good luck!

Good to know, sorry if I put out bad gouge or got your hopes up OP.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ask yourself if you'll look back and regret decision #1 or decision #2.

For what it's worth, when I was at OCS, I wondered what I'd do if I were faced with a similar choice. My thoughts were to follow through with the commission and make the best of things if it came to that.

And I think you'll find that one of the two founders of this site started in the flight program and then went SWO- because of valid, personal, and honorable reasons.

But if you choose to DOR at this point then I wouldn't think any less of you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.