• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Start school between now and NIFE?

I’m hearing that the wait at flight school is around 8-10 months. In my opinion, it would be a great opportunity to take classes between TBS and NIFE. For those that have gone through or are there now, is there anything I should know before I make my decision to start? Just want to hear what you all think.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
What type of classes are you thinking about taking? When you get here (pending COVID restrictions) there will be things for you to get done - your UPCHIT, APIT, and water survival. After all that you will be moving up to wait for NIFE.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
In normal times I'd say spend your time drinking on the beach, but...

Anyways, I would caution you against signing up for outside classes, based solely on the fact that wait times are always changing, and the ENS/2ndLt rumor mill is as about as accurate as you'd expect.

You don't want to put yourself into a situation where you're halfway through your class and then, Surprise! you're classing up this week, and now you either have to try and balance studying for your class and NIFE (really bad idea), or dropping your class and having nothing to show for your time/money.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Good gouge from HH, above.

To put it more simply: When you join the Navy or Marines at E1/O1, if they want you to undertake an activity or do a training, they'll assign it to you.

(I'm not talking about reading books, listening to podcasts, seeking out mentors, doing workouts, having a hobby - those are small scale investments, and you should absolutely do those on your own time.)

As you spend more time in the Navy (O2, O3, O4, etc.) and learn the early ropes, you will figure out that there are some proactive work/training items you may want to tackle that the Navy didn't assign you.

RoarkJr.

I was really thinking about it when I got here in January. I’m about two semesters away from finishing a second degree.

It might be different now that the virus is around, but before that there was always volunteer events, Tasker’s, fundraising, MAI, and there is still duty, Stash jobs, Courses like AMO, Hot Fill Taskers like SOI platoon Commander, etc. Not to mention the online versions of IFS and API that we are expected to do.

I’m sure it’s doable but given the uncertainty I wouldn’t recommend it, nor do I think it would be looked upon favorably by marine officer control, In the same manner as having a second job would be (Which is unauthorized currently).

Zaid8591

I am still at TBS found out last week that I got selected for a competitive air contract, what are good spots to live in FL? I was recommended Pace, FL due to it being close to all the bases I will go for school. Also where is this online IFS/API that is required to be taken per the comment above?? Any info is appreciated

FinkUFreaky

pilot
A lot depends on your personal situation. Married? Kids? Pace is good for schools, land, etc. Not ideal for commute distance. If you are single, I'd recommend teaming up with roommates to joint-rent a house/condo in Perdido, or get yourself a small apartment for the API/NIFE phase. Then decide if you want the long commute to whiting or want to move closer. Pace wouldn't be a bad option, if you have kids or whatever and don't mind a long drive until you start primary.

Personally, as a flight stud, I got an apartment in north Pensacola, off Davis Hwy near Hwy 90. Was sort of a split the middle scenario. There were multiple others that did the same.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Pace wouldn't be the worst option knowing that; three dogs as well as two being pits limits options of course. As I'm sure you know, most apartments have a pet limit and breed limitations, many house rentals do as well so you won't be able to be too picky, but you will likely find someone that works with you. Unless you are planning on buying (I wouldn't recommend during flight school, but YMMV).

RoarkJr.

I am still at TBS found out last week that I got selected for a competitive air contract, what are good spots to live in FL? I was recommended Pace, FL due to it being close to all the bases I will go for school. Also where is this online IFS/API that is required to be taken per the comment above?? Any info is appreciated

Don’t worry about any of the online flight school, you’ll get briefed on it once you get here and you’ll have plenty of time while here to do it.