• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Selection Rates

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
In fact, overall, the way have done things makes sense and should be a good model for others. You have been working on a package for quite awhile, thinking ahead, and putting all the pieces together. Keep up your methodical perseverance and top performance in your unit and you should be well placed for the board next year.

Concur,
I know a couple of guys that were seriously contemplating putting in a package "next year" because they wanted to have "more stuff" to put in it. This kind of thinking blows my mind. If one is qualified and motivated, why would they wait 'till "next year"? I buy into the school of thought that says: "apply early, apply often, and apply until you are accepted".

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
In the last year or so that I started following discussions here on AW I lost track of how many times somebody said it was their second or third try. Well it was four years and three applications for me. Yeah its mostly about figuring out what else you can add or do, or raising your performance marks. But its a little bit of perseverance as well. I had a previous board member inform me that when they have you up on the screen in the "tank" that it automatically shows everyone each year you previously applied. So your hard work doesn't go unnoticed (even if it was only 3 days ;) )

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Concur,
I know a couple of guys that were seriously contemplating putting in a package "next year" because they wanted to have "more stuff" to put in it. This kind of thinking blows my mind. If one is qualified and motivated, why would they wait 'till "next year"? I buy into the school of thought that says: "apply early, apply often, and apply until you are accepted".

I know where you're coming from as this was me for the past few years...even though my CoC constantly hounded me at eval time to put a package in, I just didn't think mine would have measured up until now (which it obviously did! :D ). But I have been the most staunch (sp?) advocate of the program since I first started working on my package and I've already convinced atleast 10 sailors at my command to start working on their's for next year as I don't want to see anyone else make the mistake of "hesitating" like I did!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I know where you're coming from as this was me for the past few years...even though my CoC constantly hounded me at eval time to put a package in, I just didn't think mine would have measured up until now (which it obviously did! :D ). But I have been the most staunch (sp?) advocate of the program since I first started working on my package and I've already convinced atleast 10 sailors at my command to start working on their's for next year as I don't want to see anyone else make the mistake of "hesitating" like I did!!

Congrats again. It is always interesting to see how fired up people get about STA-21 when someone in their command gets selected. ;)

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Originally Posted by future_sta21nfo
Now I'm accepted, and worried sick that I won't pass the physical....and I'm not sure of the process, but it seems that if I fail, I'm out...completely! Anyone have any experience with this?

If you NPQ for the target option you were selected for, you will be dropped from the program completely. Last year we had a sailor get selected for pilot then dropped when he NPQ'd because he was scheduled for PRK surgery but hadn't had it done yet. It sounds like if you get the proper documentation for your situation you will be fine. I got my eyes checked out about a month ago for SNA standards and passed but I'm still a little nervous about the whole physical after what happened to the guy last year.

jake954

Question about alternates

Let's say I was selected as a Core alternate, how do they determine who is next on the list to "move up" if someone defaults or is medically DQ'd? Just tossing this out there. I would hope it is not alphabetical because my name is ZZZeuss. Just kidding, but I really would like to know how they determine who is to be chosen next from the alternates. If anyone knows I would appreciate it, if it is just speculation I would prefer no response.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Let's say I was selected as a Core alternate, how do they determine who is next on the list to "move up" if someone defaults or is medically DQ'd? Just tossing this out there. I would hope it is not alphabetical because my name is ZZZeuss. Just kidding, but I really would like to know how they determine who is to be chosen next from the alternates. If anyone knows I would appreciate it, if it is just speculation I would prefer no response.

I believe it has to do with who has all of their completed information in, and then based on how you were ranked. Each packet has a ranking assigned to it. I can't remember where I heard that, but I remember hearing it somewhere.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
MODS.. can you add this info to the original post? It will not let me access it to edit it.

FY-09 Data

FY09 - >900 Applicants, 210 Selectees, 69 Alternates
Core=45
CEC=4
IW=6
Intel=8
Medical Corps=2
NFO=16
Nuclear=36
Nurse=20
Pilot=40
Spec Op=4
Spec War=2
Supply=4
SWO=20
SWO/IP=3

Enjoy... Good luck to FY-10

EM1toNFO

None
New Year, New Data!

FY-10 Data

FY10 - >800 Applicants, 226 Selectees, 73 Alternates
Core=31
CEC=4
HR=2
IW=8
Intel=8
Medical Corps=2
NFO=25
Nuclear=46
Nurse=18
Pilot=35
Spec Op/EOD=3
Spec War=1
Supply=3
SWO=31
SWO/ED=4
SWO/IP=3
SWO/OCEANO=2

ENJOY! I've been thinking about making some graphs, but I don't know if it would really show much or be very valuable. :D

EM1toNFO

None
New Year, again more new data...

FY-11 Data

FY11 - >700 Applicants, 115 Selectees, 55 Alternates
Core=30
CEC=2
HR=2
IW=2
Intel=2
Medical Corps=2
NFO=4
Nuclear=30
Nurse=9
Oceanography=4
Pilot=8
Spec Op/EOD=2
Spec War=2
Supply=2
SWO=8
SWO/ED=2
SWO/IP=2
SWO/OCEANO=2

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
It sort of looks that way, however; one can apply Core in addition to a specific community. For example, only 8 pilots were selected as opposed to the 35 and 40 for the previous fiscal years. If an individual applied for Pilot and the Core Option simultaneously, they may have been selected Core by default because they had a stellar Officer package, but there was just not enough slots for pilot. So most likely may not be exactly correct, but it definitely gives you more chances.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
I took the liberty of compiling the data EM1 has posted up here. Enjoy!

Attachments

• STA-21 Historical Selection Rates.pdf
    182.7 KB · Views: 30