• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21/NSI/NROTC/COMMISIONING Info

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I started this journey that its about to be done in the year of 2008 and I can honestly say its been one hell of a ride. Its not over yet either. When I first started I can say that I was a hard working E-5 AT2 in the Navy and did everything I could to be the number one sailor at my command. I am not sure if I was as there were a lot of people who seemed to be a lot more motivated than me, but I think I impressed a few people at least. In truth though, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I also had no idea what was ahead of me if I was selected, or what would become of my friends, family, or life. I had no idea if it was a good choice.

Before:
I applied to this program a bit arrogant. I had a view of officers as different than I do now and I really thought of a lot of things and life a lot different then. I also had a lot of people help me out with my package to get it submitted to the board in Pensacola and now that I look back I really shouldn't had been picked up but I was. Those who say that you have to do so good on your package, or have to have these specific scores to get picked up, is quite frankly full of it. I had maybe the lowest scores you can get on the ACT's so much so that on my board they told me I wasn't going to make it. I told them that I was. Needless to say I was selected as an alternate and it was off to NSI I went after about 3 weeks of packing up my stuff.

My package
To be 100% honest, I was 100% honest. I told them exactly what I thought about the Navy in my personal letter. I didn't BS them and I was quick to the point of why I wanted to be in this program. I told them about my dream to be an officer when I joined the enlisted ranks and I went on about what I have done in order to get to that point. I also talked about the dedication that I had in order to keep trying no matter what. I had letters of recommendations from those who knew me and cared about the work I had done. I also had obtained as many qualifications that I could. The evaluations that were in my recorded reflected what I had said, so there was really no question. My grades sucked, but I showed promise in college as they had improved, and I showed that I had dedication to complete my degree without being in STA-21 if needed. The best thing that I learned about the application process is that its okay to make mistakes, and that you need to check up all the time to make sure that your package information is correct with those who get your package at Pensacola. There is a good chance that I annoyed those who work there, but honestly thats their job and I cared to some degree but still was going to get my stuff done. Once they said my package was 100% complete and with no errors I stopped calling them and let the process happen.

I was selected as an alternate a number of months after the final list came out. I pretty much had given up hope that I would be selected because it had been so long. I found out later that a number of alternates were selected for STA-21 and so the lesson to be learned here is to not give up hope but start preparing for next years board if needed. I had already updated my package and was ready to send it in for the next year when I was selected for alternate.

NSI
NSI is an experience all on its own. I thought that I would be going to some school that would be like A school or maybe C school. What I got was a boot camp almost kind of deal. What was really the point of it all, I am yet not fully sure. I thought I was there to do the NSI classes, but then again I got to learn how to march around again, how to not talk at the chow hall, and how to get ITed in the sand pit when ever anyone messed up. I had a lot of funny stories (mostly about myself) and had a lot of good times there too but took all the bad times as a grain of salt. What I really learned from NSI is that no matter where you go, as long as you are around good people, the place really isn't that bad. For those who are worried about the PT, it wasn't that bad, about getting yelled out, it will happen and maybe once a week, and those who have a huge attraction to their MMORPG's, there are those who played WoW at all hours of the night. In all honesty the whole place wasn't that bad, and Road Island is one of the nicest places I have had the chance to go to... but thats just my opinion.

NROTC
Leaving NSI was fast. You don't have much time to transfer and depending on when you transfer you may start school right away when you get to your college. There is a good chance you will have some time to take a little break though. College life is very different than what we are used to... at least if you have been in the Navy for a little bit. The MIDN are high school kids who most have no idea what the hell they are singing up for and talk about how they are going to go to war and save the world (exaggeration) and you may get some dirty and good looks while walking around at school in your uniform. Depending on the school you go to you may have strict people who may treat the place like a boot camp from hell or they may be a bit relaxed and let you explore the world of being an Officer in testing. I have had the pleasure of both worlds and can honestly say that both are good in their own ways. I have learned a lot by both sides. I also learned a lot from the MIDN about how to lead them, train them, and help them to understand the world they are in. over all I have also learned a lot about myself while at college, something that I never would have had the chance to do while in the Navy, because I was just too busy.

Ending
How can 3 years be put into a page or two really? It cant. I cant explain how different I am from when I started this program and what I am now. I would say in some cases I am not the same person I was when I started. Well that makes sense, but what does that really mean? Well I could have read all the ways of getting selected to this program, all the stories about NSI, and all the experiences at college and the NROTC, and none of them would have expressed the changes that have taken place inside of me. I don't really feel like a different person, I don't fee like that god like figure I called an Officer, I feel like me. I just know I have changed.

Some of you will look at what I wrote up and say, this guy is an Officer, thats crazy. Well if thats the case, then believe in yourself! If I can do it, then you can too. For those of you who think that you need all this information in the world about what you will expect and what you will feel or see when you get into this program, just let things go. Do your best with what you have, follow the instructions, and you will do just fine. All you have to do for the rest is live, and thats really a simple thing. If I wish anything, its to hope to see more of you where I have been.

Good luck.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
I started this journey that its about to be done in the year of 2008 and I can honestly say its been one hell of a ride. Its not over yet either. When I first started I can say that I was a hard working E-5 AT2 in the Navy and did everything I could to be the number one sailor at my command. I am not sure if I was as there were a lot of people who seemed to be a lot more motivated than me, but I think I impressed a few people at least. In truth though, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I also had no idea what was ahead of me if I was selected, or what would become of my friends, family, or life. I had no idea if it was a good choice.

Before:
I applied to this program a bit arrogant. I had a view of officers as different than I do now and I really thought of a lot of things and life a lot different then. I also had a lot of people help me out with my package to get it submitted to the board in Pensacola and now that I look back I really shouldn't had been picked up but I was. Those who say that you have to do so good on your package, or have to have these specific scores to get picked up, is quite frankly full of it. I had maybe the lowest scores you can get on the ACT's so much so that on my board they told me I wasn't going to make it. I told them that I was. Needless to say I was selected as an alternate and it was off to NSI I went after about 3 weeks of packing up my stuff.

My package
To be 100% honest, I was 100% honest. I told them exactly what I thought about the Navy in my personal letter. I didn't BS them and I was quick to the point of why I wanted to be in this program. I told them about my dream to be an officer when I joined the enlisted ranks and I went on about what I have done in order to get to that point. I also talked about the dedication that I had in order to keep trying no matter what. I had letters of recommendations from those who knew me and cared about the work I had done. I also had obtained as many qualifications that I could. The evaluations that were in my recorded reflected what I had said, so there was really no question. My grades sucked, but I showed promise in college as they had improved, and I showed that I had dedication to complete my degree without being in STA-21 if needed. The best thing that I learned about the application process is that its okay to make mistakes, and that you need to check up all the time to make sure that your package information is correct with those who get your package at Pensacola. There is a good chance that I annoyed those who work there, but honestly thats their job and I cared to some degree but still was going to get my stuff done. Once they said my package was 100% complete and with no errors I stopped calling them and let the process happen.

I was selected as an alternate a number of months after the final list came out. I pretty much had given up hope that I would be selected because it had been so long. I found out later that a number of alternates were selected for STA-21 and so the lesson to be learned here is to not give up hope but start preparing for next years board if needed. I had already updated my package and was ready to send it in for the next year when I was selected for alternate.

NSI
NSI is an experience all on its own. I thought that I would be going to some school that would be like A school or maybe C school. What I got was a boot camp almost kind of deal. What was really the point of it all, I am yet not fully sure. I thought I was there to do the NSI classes, but then again I got to learn how to march around again, how to not talk at the chow hall, and how to get ITed in the sand pit when ever anyone messed up. I had a lot of funny stories (mostly about myself) and had a lot of good times there too but took all the bad times as a grain of salt. What I really learned from NSI is that no matter where you go, as long as you are around good people, the place really isn't that bad. For those who are worried about the PT, it wasn't that bad, about getting yelled out, it will happen and maybe once a week, and those who have a huge attraction to their MMORPG's, there are those who played WoW at all hours of the night. In all honesty the whole place wasn't that bad, and Road Island is one of the nicest places I have had the chance to go to... but thats just my opinion.

NROTC
Leaving NSI was fast. You don't have much time to transfer and depending on when you transfer you may start school right away when you get to your college. There is a good chance you will have some time to take a little break though. College life is very different than what we are used to... at least if you have been in the Navy for a little bit. The MIDN are high school kids who most have no idea what the hell they are singing up for and talk about how they are going to go to war and save the world (exaggeration) and you may get some dirty and good looks while walking around at school in your uniform. Depending on the school you go to you may have strict people who may treat the place like a boot camp from hell or they may be a bit relaxed and let you explore the world of being an Officer in testing. I have had the pleasure of both worlds and can honestly say that both are good in their own ways. I have learned a lot by both sides. I also learned a lot from the MIDN about how to lead them, train them, and help them to understand the world they are in. over all I have also learned a lot about myself while at college, something that I never would have had the chance to do while in the Navy, because I was just too busy.

Ending
How can 3 years be put into a page or two really? It cant. I cant explain how different I am from when I started this program and what I am now. I would say in some cases I am not the same person I was when I started. Well that makes sense, but what does that really mean? Well I could have read all the ways of getting selected to this program, all the stories about NSI, and all the experiences at college and the NROTC, and none of them would have expressed the changes that have taken place inside of me. I don't really feel like a different person, I don't fee like that god like figure I called an Officer, I feel like me. I just know I have changed.

Some of you will look at what I wrote up and say, this guy is an Officer, thats crazy. Well if thats the case, then believe in yourself! If I can do it, then you can too. For those of you who think that you need all this information in the world about what you will expect and what you will feel or see when you get into this program, just let things go. Do your best with what you have, follow the instructions, and you will do just fine. All you have to do for the rest is live, and thats really a simple thing. If I wish anything, its to hope to see more of you where I have been.

Good luck.

I think that I speak for a lot of us waiting when I say thank you for putting this down on paper. It's very informative and I think it's rather motivational to those of us that don't know what to expect next month. Again thanks, have fun back in the Fleet.

HOPEIMSELECTED4STA-21

FY12 & 13 CORE Applicant

Before:

My package

NSI

NROTC

Ending

Good luck.

Thanks for the inspiring information. Honestly, I'm worried about being selected, but at the same time I know I'm going to keep trying no matter what. I see a lot of the postings on the applicant forum showing how many awards, quals, and college credits that my fellow applicants have and I feel a bit doubtful about my package when I read them. Even though, I wish everyone who has applied will be selected and if they don't make it keep trying. Once again thanks for the info, you kind of put my mind at ease until next month.

I also appreciate you posting your synopsis of the ordeal. I'm sure it's like anything else in the Navy; it is what you make of it. It is encouraging to hear someone who started out in a similar situation as my own, get selected, and go through the process. In talking with friends who have been in the Navy and other branches who have moved on to other things, it's the people that you serve with that they miss and make the military great. Thanks again for sharing.