• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FOS

azguy

None
There could be blue-to-green options to take a commission in another service (if you have a skill they need) to get yourself over the finish line.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
We had a guy on my ship in this situation. He and his family couldn’t handle the pay cut down to E-6, so he left and went reserves. Picked up O-4 there, and is still serving. Although his retirement will start at a much later date, the long active time and points he is getting will make the amount very comparable when it does kick in.

nodropinufaka

We had a guy on my ship in this situation. He and his family couldn’t handle the pay cut down to E-6, so he left and went reserves. Picked up O-4 there, and is still serving. Although his retirement will start at a much later date, the long active time and points he is getting will make the amount very comparable when it does kick in.

Aside from pay, I would not go back to being an E-6. No way. Not after being an officer. I would not be able to handle the change. Id have done the same.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Shipmates, I need some help. I was commissioned via STA-21 and since I was commissioned so early by my school, I was IZ (most junior for the cycle) for O4 this cycle even though I only commissioned in '12.
You were board eligible. If you were commissioned in 2012 you would not hit your flow point (9 years of commissioned service) for O4 until 2019, which means you would have been looked at during your first look at the 2018 O4 board, had you been selected, you'd have pinned on this year once you hit that 9 years of commissioned, but you were not selected. Is this what happened?

Needless to say I wasn't picked up, I barely have any time in.
Unless I do not understand what is going on, I guess I am not following. You had as much commissioned service during your first look as the rest of the board eligibles. What have you been doing since you were commissioned in 2012? What is your designator?

nodropinufaka

You were board eligible. If you were commissioned in 2012 you would not hit your flow point (9 years of commissioned service) for O4 until 2019, which means you would have been looked at during your first look at the 2018 O4 board, had you been selected, you'd have pinned on this year once you hit that 9 years of commissioned, but you were not selected. Is this what happened?

Unless I do not understand what is going on, I guess I am not following. You had as much commissioned service during your first look as the rest of the board eligibles. What have you been doing since you were commissioned in 2012? What is your designator?
He is an 1830.

The 1830 community doesnt do a good job with career timing. There is not a set path like other Line desginators.

My guess is he was the JIZ and didn't get a competitive breakout in time.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
He is an 1830.

The 1830 community doesnt do a good job with career timing. There is not a set path like other Line desginators.

Do they really mishandle timing so badly that people are screening for O-4 two years earlier than other URL communities?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
He is an 1830.

The 183X community is uber competitive, even in the Reserve side, where they are hovering at 65% - 67% select rate for O4 (I know at least 2 people who 2xFOS for O4 in the Reserve and will be retiring as O3's).

I guess I still do not see the issue with OP as other people were selected.

nodropinufaka

The 183X community is uber competitive, even in the Reserve side, where they are hovering at 65% - 67% select rate for O4 (I know at least 2 people who 2xFOS for O4 in the Reserve and will be retiring as O3's).

I guess I still do not see the issue with OP as other people were selected.

The issue is that the 1830 community is horrible at managing timing for its officers. Unless you get to your competitive tour right at the 5.5 year mark you miss the breakout top FITREP because you will either go to zone before it comes (OPs case) or you are too junior and won't get it and be stuck right before zone.

Other people promoted, yes. But many on active duty in the 1830 community get shafted because of the lack of a set career path.

Do they really mishandle timing so badly that people are screening for O-4 two years earlier than other URL communities?

Yes. They absolutely do. You can go to any sea duty as an O-1 and then any shore as an O-2/3 but need a competitive fitrep before O-4. They don't have a set standard or organization to get that so it is all sorts of messed up.

I left active duty but it was absolutely terrible. Some solid officers got hosed because of the timing aspect.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
But many on active duty in the 1830 community get shafted because of the lack of a set career path.

I left active duty but it was absolutely terrible. Some solid officers got hosed because of the timing aspect.

So it seems it is a known quantity which begs the question of why get commissioned in to a community when you have a high probability of getting the broom handle?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Everyone is eligible for O4 at 9 of years of commissioned service, which means you are typically (depending on your commissioning date) eligible for the board the year prior. For example, I hit 9 years commissioned service 07/2018. I went up for O4 during the 04/2017 board, got selected and then pinned on after 07/2018 after which I hit my flow point for O4: 9 years commissioned service.

What does this mean: screening for O4 two years earlier? You are not eligible for O4 until you hit 9 years commissioned service.

nodropinufaka

Everyone is eligible for O4 at 9 of years of commissioned service, which means you are typically (depending on your commissioning date) eligible for the board the year prior. For example, I hit 9 years commissioned service 07/2018. I went up for O4 during the 04/2017 board, got selected and then pinned on after 07/2018 after which I hit my flow point for O4: 9 years commissioned service.

What does this mean: screening for O4 two years earlier? You are not eligible for O4 until you hit 9 years commissioned service.

The zone projections the past few years for 1830 had 1830s in zone right around the 10 year mark. Thats how the zones have looked since 2013 for active duty 1830s. The zone this previous year opened up more then expected and put OP into zone before him or his detailer planned. Meaning he could have been only commissioned for 8 years when he was looked at and far behind his peers.

Because the zones opened up more than anticipated alot of people who had not yet completed their competitive tours were at a major disadvantage.
1830s were not usually getting looked at that early. It was usually 10 years for first look. It was constricted alot the past few cycles and then opened.

AULANI

Well I can tell you that they beat the 1830 "career timing" issue to death for all new 1830's. I recently graduated NIOBC and I know more about competitive FITREPS, breakouts, and career milestones than I do OPINTEL. We got so many talks about career management, it was insane. Unfortunately it went like this:

Random O-6 1830: You need to take the hard jobs and go to sea, that's the key to success.

Another random O-6 1830: Do whatever you want, that's what I did and look, I made O-6.

<insert confused look from all new 1830's>